Biotest

Recommendation for Vietnamese HSM?

Chris and all,

What would you recommend as an HSM from a Vietnamese Restaurant? These are the restaurants that are typically Pho houses, and the noodles would be out of question, so just wondering if anyone has been able to find a HSM from there.

Thanks!

Think meat and veggies. That’s really about it.

Checkout traditional Northeastern Thai dishes. Stuff like Laab, Yum Pla Mouk, Yum Goong etc. Tom Yum Soup would be really good too.

Laab (one of my favs) is usually steamed ground meat (beef or pork or chicken or something) mixed with mint, lime juice, onions and chilis. Get this with some steamed veggie rolls (with the real rice wrapper) Or Tom Yum soup and it should be a suitable meal.

Dang I’m hungry now…

Thanks Chris and Silvergoat, will check for those when i’m out for Thai. I usually don’t have a problem with Thai places as you can always get a stir fry type dish without the rice. At the Vietnamese restaurants 90% of the menu is Pho noodle soup or noodle bowls. I have Vietnamese coworkers and we take out our customers (also Asian) to dinner and so we frequent the Pho restaurants with them. I try to push the steakhouse but doesn’t always work.

All I can say is you…are…screwed. My gf loves Vietnamese food and we eat that usually at least 1x a month.

Stay the hell away from the “brown” sauce - hoisin. Worse than ketchup…ketchup has ~4g sugar per 2TB. Well, some hoisin sauce I’ve seen boast a whopping 24g sugar per 2TB of sauce!! So watch out for that stuff, hell yes.

Next, do not order anything on the menu because it all comes with those rice noodles or you can get bahn mi (sandwich). Those about the two most popular items you will find on the menu at all Vietnamese restaurants. Meat and veggies…good luck with that.

For me, when I know it’s time for Viet food then I’ll fast all day and get a good workout sometime before the meal. Then I eat about 6 eggs and some meat so I go half-full and any noodles or f*cking good bahn mi doesn’t make me feel that fat. Enjoy.

[quote]uv_deth wrote:
All I can say is you…are…screwed. My gf loves Vietnamese food and we eat that usually at least 1x a month.

Stay the hell away from the “brown” sauce - hoisin. Worse than ketchup…ketchup has ~4g sugar per 2TB. Well, some hoisin sauce I’ve seen boast a whopping 24g sugar per 2TB of sauce!! So watch out for that stuff, hell yes.

Next, do not order anything on the menu because it all comes with those rice noodles or you can get bahn mi (sandwich). Those about the two most popular items you will find on the menu at all Vietnamese restaurants. Meat and veggies…good luck with that.

For me, when I know it’s time for Viet food then I’ll fast all day and get a good workout sometime before the meal. Then I eat about 6 eggs and some meat so I go half-full and any noodles or f*cking good bahn mi doesn’t make me feel that fat. Enjoy.[/quote]

thanks uv_diet, I also came to the conclusion of pretty much being screwed. I think fasting seems to be the only way I can get around it.

[quote]uv_deth wrote:

For me, when I know it’s time for Viet food then I’ll fast all day and get a good workout sometime before the meal. Then I eat about 6 eggs and some meat so I go half-full and any noodles or f*cking good bahn mi doesn’t make me feel that fat. Enjoy.[/quote]

LOL. My fiance is Vietnamese and I can’t wait to show her this. From the north, (she fled w/ family in the '60s and came here in '68), and me being a Marine (retired) I like to say I have to sleep w/ one eye open.