Biotest

Quinoa Porridge

[center]Incan Warrior Breakfast (Quinoa Porridge) [/center]
[center] [/center]

Quinoa is a high-protein seed that contains all nine essential amino acids, which is pretty uncommon. That’s probably why it was so valued among the Incas who called it “the mother of all grains,” although it’s not botanically a grain. Quinoa is recommended by Dr. John Berardi, Dr. Jonny Bowden, and Charles Poliquin, among many others.

But, some Paleo guys like Robb Wolf still say to avoid it.

Hmm, up to you. Certainly better for breakfast than “pretend health foods” like body-wrecking Special K!

I don’t eat it often, but when I do here’s how I make it:

Ingredients

1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
A few dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice (or a pre-made apple pie blend)
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 diced apple
1/2 cup of blueberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Directions

1. Toss quinoa, water, spices, and salt into a pot and bring it to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or so. You want most of the liquid to be absorbed.

2. Add almond milk and simmer for another 10 minutes. Then add apples, blueberries, and pecans.

3. Let sit for 10 minutes covered so it’ll thicken, then scarf in down.

Yield: Two big servings

Options and Notes

• As you can see, this is no instant breakfast. It takes a while to do it right, but that’s okay. What I do is cook it up on Sunday night, then microwave it Monday and Tuesday. Goes great with a morning protein shake.

• Don’t like pecans? Try walnuts, which have the highest amount of omega-3 of any nut.

• Replace the blueberries with strawberries, raspberries, or whatever you want. A blend is even better. I get them flash frozen.

• Replace the apples with whatever fruit you like, but the crunch of apples really makes this dish nice. Still, bananas and mandarin oranges are good, too.

I make this every now and then. I pre-make my quinoa.

I take 1 cup cooked quinoa
cup of vanilla unsweetened almond milk
1-2 scoups banana Metabolic Drive low carb (this really makes it)
some assorted nuts
frozen fruit mix
cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg

great for a post workout meal