Biotest

Questions Before I Take the Plunge

I’m about to order my first batch of supplies. I have a few questions before I send in my order.

First, some background info on me. I’m 26 years old, 6 feet tall. I started working out about 2 to 3 months ago. Slowly at first, now I’m up to about 5 days a week in the gym. I’ve lost 20lbs so far so I am down to 250lbs from 270lbs. Still obese, but progress is progress.

Here are my two primary questions. Question #1 which I didn’t see addressed in the HQ thread - is mixing in frozen fruit a big no with your shakes? I’ve generally mixed in frozen fruit in the past, I just need to know if this needs to stop.

Question #2 - My current weight lifting routine and schedule I’m really happy with. I spend about 45 minutes to an hour (depending on the day) each of those days lifting. Am I limiting myself by sticking with my current schedule and routine or is the V-Diet routine designed for people who do not currently have a routine?

Thank you a ton.

[quote]joshua wrote:
Here are my two primary questions. Question #1 which I didn’t see addressed in the HQ thread - is mixing in frozen fruit a big no with your shakes? I’ve generally mixed in frozen fruit in the past, I just need to know if this needs to stop.

Question #2 - My current weight lifting routine and schedule I’m really happy with. I spend about 45 minutes to an hour (depending on the day) each of those days lifting. Am I limiting myself by sticking with my current schedule and routine or is the V-Diet routine designed for people who do not currently have a routine?
[/quote]

Question #1 - No, don’t mix fruit with your shakes. It is not part of the diet and would change your results. Use Superfood and you’ll get all the wonderful vitamins you would be missing.

Question #2 - I think it depends on the principle of the workout. For example, I am using a Cosgrove plan from New Rules of Lifting however the principle is similar to that of the V-Diet Waterbury workout (many of the exercises are the same and I have made adjustments to mimic the rhythm and progression of the V-Diet workout).

If you are on a five day split I would change to the Waterbury program illustrated. It is tougher than it looks.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for the information! I’m trying to plan out my shakes before I make my order so I ensure I get everything I need right.

Non-Lifting Days: 1375 Calories
Lifting Days: 1650 Calories

I’m noticing people are having 3 shakes a day. My calorie intake seems closer to what Chris setup for Gusta. Since I’m larger do I need to goto 5 or 3 larger shakes a day? I’ll be adding superfood to my morning shake and doing the peanut butter in the AM as well.

One problem is I need 250grams of protein a day. Following a similar meal layout to Gusta’s I’ll need to compensate for another 40 grams of protein. Not sure the best way to make up for that without going over my calorie limit.

I drank 5 shakes a day, with a 6th (Surge) shake on workout days.

I think your calculations are off, I was consuming 1380/1650 at 185 pounds. Here was my plan when I did the diet:

You need to add flax seed and fish oil to get extra calories.

[quote]joshua wrote:
Thanks for the information! I’m trying to plan out my shakes before I make my order so I ensure I get everything I need right.

Non-Lifting Days: 1375 Calories
Lifting Days: 1650 Calories

I’m noticing people are having 3 shakes a day. My calorie intake seems closer to what Chris setup for Gusta. Since I’m larger do I need to goto 5 or 3 larger shakes a day? I’ll be adding superfood to my morning shake and doing the peanut butter in the AM as well.

One problem is I need 250grams of protein a day. Following a similar meal layout to Gusta’s I’ll need to compensate for another 40 grams of protein. Not sure the best way to make up for that without going over my calorie limit.[/quote]

You seem to be using the 0.8 multiplied formula.
I would split the shakes into 5 or maybe even 6 shakes (with your weight that still makes at least 40g protein shakes if you do 6).

You are of course then facing the problem that with 6 shakes you are already very near the calorie restriction for what you calculated (approx 1320kcal for the shakes).

The diet is going to be tough even with the normal formula, so going slightly over (the 0.8 formula) might not be a big issue as long as you are atleast below the normal formula.
I would therefore leave out the PB and instead have the 6 flameouts and the milled flax + any additional fiber you need to reach 25g/d

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

I think your calculations are off, I was consuming 1380/1650 at 185 pounds. Here was my plan when I did the diet:

You need to add flax seed and fish oil to get extra calories.[/quote]

He’s not off, he is using the “I need to lose over 30pounds” formula.

[quote]curax wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:

You need to add flax seed and fish oil to get extra calories.

He’s not off, he is using the “I need to lose over 30pounds” formula.
[/quote]

Whoops.

I apologize OP.

Regarding my calculations, like I said earlier, I’m 250lbs now. I feel I need to lose at least 30+. Do you guys think I am being too ambitious and shouldn’t be using those calculations?

I’ve never done the flax before. Any brand suggestions?

This diet is not easy, but it is effective. Any flax seed should do, but I personally buy whole seed and mill it myself. How many calories do you currently consume in a day?

Under but sometimes as high as 2000, I’m not real strict on counting - this will be my first time doing that. My meals are fairly straight forward but I’ve never been big on nutrition in the past - mostly due to my excuse of lack of education on it.

My morning meal right now is cheerios with soymilk, my lunch varies and my dinner is consistently a wheat wrap with 4 thin slices of turkey, lettuce, olives, carrots and a bowl of strawberries. I won’t lie, my lunches are usually pretty shitty.

[quote]joshua wrote:
Regarding my calculations, like I said earlier, I’m 250lbs now. I feel I need to lose at least 30+. Do you guys think I am being too ambitious and shouldn’t be using those calculations?

I’ve never done the flax before. Any brand suggestions?[/quote]

Well, as I see it, you will already do well with the normal calculations, then transition off for a month or 2 raising slowly your calorie intake and do a new run…

Alright, awesome. You guys have really helped me with this. I greatly appreciate it.

Last thing - straight coffee - is this a no on this program? Basically all water or nothing or can I still do my straight no cream no sugar coffee in the morning?

Yes, you can have it. However, you may find that you don’t need it, because of the HOT-ROX. I personally switched to 1 cup of green tea instead.

[quote]joshua wrote:
Under but sometimes as high as 2000, I’m not real strict on counting - this will be my first time doing that. My meals are fairly straight forward but I’ve never been big on nutrition in the past - mostly due to my excuse of lack of education on it.

My morning meal right now is cheerios with soymilk, my lunch varies and my dinner is consistently a wheat wrap with 4 thin slices of turkey, lettuce, olives, carrots and a bowl of strawberries. I won’t lie, my lunches are usually pretty shitty.[/quote]

BTW, it would be wise to already start planning exactly HOW you will come off the diet and how you will eat until you do the next run. Learn nutrition. Now.
(you should in week 4 have a clear plan (=planned meals), and those weeks really fly by…)

It is probably more of a science to successfully come off a diet than being on a diet. That’s something I learned the hard way, fat comes real easy back if you don’t watch out (=go slow with adding calories, but calories you need to add).

Sounds great. I’m definitely going to have to buy a cookbook for lean meals or something. I’ve gotta be the most clueless guy when it comes to cooking there is.

[quote]joshua wrote:
Sounds great. I’m definitely going to have to buy a cookbook for lean meals or something. I’ve gotta be the most clueless guy when it comes to cooking there is.[/quote]

Maybe you want to look into John Berardi’s precision nutrition system then. They have a cookbook or 2 called Gourmet Nutrition that may or may not belong to the package, when I became a customer it was included.

Also worth looking into some food log software like Fitday to learn what’s in the food you start making/eating. Get the PC version, but by all means try out the online version.

Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully my stuff will get here Tuesday and get the ball rolling Wednesday!

Everything got here today and I’ll be starting tomorrow morning. I’ll use this thread as my journal.

Will have all my measurements on here tomorrow morning. I’m fired up!

I’m going to take your advice Charlie and use the V-Diet workout provided. However, I’d like to get in 4 days a week at the gym rather than 3. Main reason being because I enjoy going, but I don’t know how to do this ‘properly’ around the V-Diet model. Per Chris’ FAQ and tips, I’m trying to stay exactly on par with the information provided to me and not change a thing. Is there a way I can add a 4th day?

[quote]joshua wrote:
I’m going to take your advice Charlie and use the V-Diet workout provided. However, I’d like to get in 4 days a week at the gym rather than 3. Main reason being because I enjoy going, but I don’t know how to do this ‘properly’ around the V-Diet model. Per Chris’ FAQ and tips, I’m trying to stay exactly on par with the information provided to me and not change a thing. Is there a way I can add a 4th day? [/quote]

Use the 4th day to hang out with the chicks in the gym and do your NEPA walk?

Don’t overdo exercise on this diet, the calorie deficit will take care of the weight loss and the prescribed amount of weight training is enough to keep your muscles.