Biotest

Question on High Protein, high Set Program

I have been following all the exact ingredients McCallum prescribes except (six scoops of protein powder.) As he says a “Hoffman’s Gain Weight is best for this purpose. Put at least day’s supply in big bowl.” - I calculated every single ingredient OTHER than the protein powder and it comes out to these values.

1. 1 day supply Hoffman’s Gain Weight: Unknown
  2. 1/2 gallon (2 liters) whole milk: 1200 calories, 64 grams protein.
  3. 2 cups (1/2 liter) skim milk powder: 510 calories, 48 grams protein.
  4. 2 large raw eggs: 150 calories, 14 grams protein.
  5. 4 Tablespoons Peanut Butter: 380 calories, 16 grams protein.
  6. 1/2 brick Chocolate ice cream: 285 calories, 5 grams protein.
  7. 1 small banana: 92 calories, zero protein.
  8. 4 Tablespoons Malted Milk Powder: 100 calories, 3 grams protein.
  9. 6 Tablespoons Corn Syrup: 335 calories, zero protein.

If you add up these totals you can see already that it comes to 3,052 calories and 150 grams of protein. Now if we add 2 scoops instead of 6 then it brings it to 200 grams of protein. Which another quote from the book “Now,” I said. That brings the calories up to about 3000. Right?" …“And about 200 grams of protein.”

Now for actual questions.

1. Is it possible your calculations are incorrect? I have been using just 2 or 3 scoops for about 2 months and this week I tried adding 6 after reading your article https://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/high_protein_high_set_program&cr=
    without thinking of number and perhaps I had them off, because I didn’t know what days supply of Hoffmans powder is as they have stopped making it 18 years ago. Anyway I took it and my digestive system could not hold it. (too much protein I think…I’ll spare details) Then I re-examined the book “keys to progress and compared to your article.” I don’t like telling anyone they could be wrong unless I have something to back it up.

2. Chris I have been using the 4 tablespoons of malted milk powder and am Celiac. I could not find anything that would replace it. As without it, the ingredients don’t hold together well or in at least my digestive system. It makes me sick every time, if you know anyone with gluten insensitivity you know what I am talking about. - Do you know anything that I could switch out this ingredient with that would provide same nutritional effects both carb wise and digestive wise to keep everything together?

I have asked dietitians, nutritionist, and so on. None have a clue. I would have replied to article directly but comments were closed.

Sorry, but that is not my program. And I would never recommend that unhealthy shitball concoction.

well I hope your happy. lol Everytime I make the stuff now or drink it I think of your comment - “unhealthy shitball concoction” I am 6’3’’ its not easy to get all the calories I need with meals alone. This is a good alternative. Its half the battle. As John McCallum put it

“Anybody who’s trying to gain weight and doesn’t take something like this is nuts.”

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Sorry, but that is not my program. And I would never recommend that unhealthy shitball concoction. [/quote]

Protein from raw eggs isn’t full utilized, so that’s a waste. And that mix contains some very unhealthy ingredients. There are much better ways to get calories without wrecking your system. Good way to set yourself up for future fat gain and health issues.

Hey there Smeary, I’m the one who wrote that article. I’m the taller, younger, less-handsome Chris that writes for the site. :wink:

[quote]SmearyToast wrote:

1. Is it possible your calculations are incorrect?[/quote]
    I don’t think so. I did the footwork to track everything down as best I could. I don’t have the source in front of me, but I have my notes, and a “day’s supply” of Hoffman’s powder was about 560 calories with 45g protein, 90g carbs, and 2g fat.

More importantly, don’t take McCallum’s statement “about 3,000 calories” too literally. The total numbers for his drink come to 3,800ish calories, like I said. He rounded down, I rounded up. No biggie. (Also, a “half brick” of ice cream is one pint. That’s more than 285 calories.)

How much bodyweight have you gained in these last 2 months?

I’m not sure why you’re not using the smarter weight gainer I laid out in the article: 1% milk, Metabolic Drive, peanut butter, and honey.

What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

A weight gainer-type shake should be something you’re adding on top of ample daily calories, it shouldn’t be the bulk of your day’s calories by itself. If you’re not having a big breakfast, big lunch, and big dinner every day of the week (plus workout nutrition on training days), you’re spinning your wheels, weight gain shake or not.

Do you still weigh 165 like your profile says?

damn bro you really calling me out. I like it.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Hey there Smeary, I’m the one who wrote that article. I’m the taller, younger, less-handsome Chris that writes for the site. :wink:

Hey there

[quote]SmearyToast wrote:

1. Is it possible your calculations are incorrect?[/quote]
    I don’t think so. I did the footwork to track everything down as best I could. I don’t have the source in front of me, but I have my notes, and a “day’s supply” of Hoffman’s powder was about 560 calories with 45g protein, 90g carbs, and 2g fat.[/quote]

Alright you got the notes and everything on that. So I will take your word for it. And give you the benefit of the doubt. (I actually tried to track the nutrition label down myself without much luck. I didn’t know how much days supply was. So that fills in a big gap right there)

Okay I got you.

[quote]

How much bodyweight have you gained in these last 2 months?[/quote]

In the last two months My last logged recorded weight before hitting the weights was 175 that was on the 19th of this month. I can check it again tomorrow when I go lift.

[quote]

I’m not sure why you’re not using the smarter weight gainer I laid out in the article: 1% milk, Metabolic Drive, peanut butter, and honey.[/quote]

I don’t have Metabolic Drive, I would have to order it. All I have is ON 100% Natural Whey. So I have to use whats available to me.

[quote]

What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?[/quote]

Sure thing dude

For Breakfast I had: 4 whole eggs, 2 slices of potato bread toast with jam and butter. 2 scoops of ON with 12 to 16oz of whole milk. And a small banana.

Amys Broccoli and Cheddar from store -

Energy: 430.0 kcal
Protein: 16 g
Carbs: 44.0 g
Lipids: 20.0 g

apple (medium size w/skin)
banana (extra large)

“The Get Big Drink”

Pre-workout

3 1/2 soft boiled eggs
12 medium strawberries
pineapple slices (fresh not canned)
Orange Juice (20oz)
bananna (large)

Dinner/post

12-16oz sirloin steak
3 sweet potatoes
onions and peppers
prepared in olive oil
8oz of whole milk

[quote]A weight gainer-type shake should be something you’re adding on top of ample daily calories, it shouldn’t be the bulk of your day’s calories by itself. If you’re not having a big breakfast, big lunch, and big dinner every day of the week (plus workout nutrition on training days), you’re spinning your wheels, weight gain shake or not.

Do you still weigh 165 like your profile says?[/quote]

No, I have gained 10lbs since last checked which was 19th.

This was done before I ate breakfast and when I first woke up. (don’t know if that matters but I feel its worth mentioning) And the weigh in on that may have been off a few when I put 165 in my profile, as I didn’t weigh in properly. I was more like 163 or 157. I would need to have my log in front of me to tell you for sure before the 19th what I weighed.