Biotest

Purpose of Surge Recovery?

I’m not trying to be a jerk here, but I’m not really sure of another way to phrase this question, so I apologize if I come across in a negative way.

Looking over the current Biotest line, I’m trying to figure out where Surge Recovery fits in now. Chris has stated that using Surge Workout Fuel intra-workout would be better than Surge Recovery post-workout, and then with the addition of MAG-10, it would seem that Recovery is superfluous.
Is it kind of an old classic for those who prefer the old style protein/carb post-workout drinks?

1 Like

[quote]Paul222 wrote:

Is it kind of an old classic for those who prefer the old style protein/carb post-workout drinks?[/quote]

That’s pretty much it. It’s entry level workout nutrition.

And while we think pre and intra-workout nutrition is superior (Plazma and Surge Workout Fuel) there are a lot of folks who still love Surge Recovery for the results they get, it fits their budget, and they buy it regularly. Biotest just hates to take that away from them. Many would also go looking for another “post workout” product because they feel that’s the most important thing to take care of. Biotest may as well make them happy and deliver a high quality post-workout formula.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Chris, I appreciate it.

I personally know people who take PLAZMA pre/during workout and SURGE RECOVERY post-workout and love the gains.

If I were to use both in a maximum muscle-gaining phase I’d use PLAZMA pre and during workout, MAG-10 15 minutes post-workout and SURGE RECOVERY 30-45 minutes post workout (a FINIBAR would do to).

I still use Surge Recovery. Sometimes similar to what CT describes above, and sometimes in mixtures with MAG-10.

One thing to realize is that more complex carbs still become glucose by the time they enter the bloodstream. Providing it in the first place as glucose, as Surge Recovery does, works absolutely fine so far as the muscles are concerned.

It’s true there can be a disadvantage compared to the further-developed products with regards to osmotic pressure. Briefly, 51 g (or 76 g if you take 3 scoops) of glucose puts far more molecules into solution than the same grams of highly-branched cyclic dextrin. The GI tract absorbs water more slowly when that’s the case. Sometimes that’s an impediment.

The more developed products also have even better proteins.

But Surge Recovery still flat works, and gives great value.

1 Like

My introduction to Biotest workout products was Surge Recovery, it worked well enough that I opted to try the other stuff when it came out.

It definitely works as advertised.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
I personally know people who take PLAZMA pre/during workout and SURGE RECOVERY post-workout and love the gains.

If I were to use both in a maximum muscle-gaining phase I’d use PLAZMA pre and during workout, MAG-10 15 minutes post-workout and SURGE RECOVERY 30-45 minutes post workout (a FINIBAR would do to).[/quote]

I am a little confused. I thought that the concept behind MAG-10 was that you had to let blood protein levels drop over a couple of hours and then you pulse with MAG-10.

Are we assuming that the PLAZMA doses are basically used up during the workout and blood amino’s have normalized?

If someone works out less than an hour and with basically a strength rep range, say something similar to 5-4-3-2-1 countdown for strength are you going to be ready for a MAG-10 dose after 2 Plazma doses within the previous hour?

If someone just wanted 1 single peri/post workout suppliment again training around an hour in the strength zone, which 1 should they take?

I’m an endurance mountain bike racer using surge again after a looong hiatus from proper pwo nutrition. I look forward to it after long training rides and races. It fits my needs and works extemely well for me. Not everyone needs or can follow a complicated pre/infra/pwo supplementation plan. Sometimes the basics fit the bill.