Biotest

Pumpkin Mousse

Note: This one originally appeared in the <a href="http://velocity.t-nation.com/strength-training-blog/chris-shugart"target=“new”>LiveSpill.

[center]Pumpkin Mousse [/center]
Best. Thanksgiving. Dessert. Ever. At least when it comes to the “won’t make ya fat” category.
[center] [/center]
Now, I’m not crazy about the sugar-free whipped topping or pudding mix in this recipe, but it’s certainly better than the non-diet version of the dish, which is a full-on sugar and calorie bomb. Plus I know that sometimes even we health-minded folks just want some damn dessert. This one is much more physique-friendly than the alternative, even if it’s not 100% perfect.

Here’s how to make it:

The Stuff

1 can 100% pure pumpkin
1 package of fat-free, sugar-free, instant pudding powder, vanilla
1 tub of sugar-free Cool Whip, thawed, or homemade coconut whipped topping found here: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/coconut_whipped_topping
1 cup unsweetened almond milk, plain or vanilla

Making It

1. Dump pumpkin into a bowl and mix in pudding powder and almond milk. A hand mixer will make quick work of this.

2. Stir in most of the Cool Whip or whipped topping, saving a little to go on the top when serving.

3. Refrigerate until cold. Eat up.

I top mine with a handful of sunflower seeds. Great stuff. – Chris

I’m iffy on the Cool Whip (partially hydrogenated oil is the ONE thing that I don’t consume even in moderation: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/06/060619133024.htm ). Would it work with Greek yogurt + extra sweetener? Otherwise I might use TruWhip: http://www.truwhip.com/

This looks GREAT.

[quote]floridagirl wrote:
I’m iffy on the Cool Whip (partially hydrogenated oil is the ONE thing that I don’t consume even in moderation: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/06/060619133024.htm ). Would it work with Greek yogurt + extra sweetener? Otherwise I might use TruWhip: http://www.truwhip.com/

This looks GREAT.[/quote]

I addressed this a bit in the original LiveSpill, but yes, I’m not wild about some of the ingredients in there. I’m thinking the Greek yogurt would work very well.

Haven’t tried Truwhip; looks to contain a lot of syrups and sugars. I really don’t care if the sugar is organic and natural. It’s still junk. I guess all “diet” whipped topping are a bit of a trade-off and fall into the “better bad” category.

If you try the Greek yogurt, let us know how it works!

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

Haven’t tried Truwhip; looks to contain a lot of syrups and sugars. I really don’t care of the sugar is organic and natural. It’s still junk. I guess all “diet” whipped topping are a bit of a trade-off and fall into the “better bad” category.
[/quote]

I completely agree that I don’t care if the sugar is organic or whatever, but as far as being “better bad”:

TruWhip
INGREDIENTS: Water, organic tapioca syrup, expeller-pressed palm kernel oil, organic cane sugar, organic palm kernel oil, contains less than 2% of each of the following: organic soy protein concentrate, sodium caseinate (milk protein), organic tapioca starch, natural flavors, organic soy lecithin, xanthan gum, guar gum. contains milk and soy.

Cool Whip Sugar Free
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/products/productinfodisplay.aspx?siteid=1&product=4300001084
Ingredients: WATER, CORN SYRUP*, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), LESS THAN TWO PERCENT OF SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, XANTHAN AND GUAR GUMS, POLYSORBATE 60, SORBITAN MONOSTEARATE, SODIUM POLYPHOSPHATES, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM AND ASPARTAME** (SWEETENERS), BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). CONTAINS: MILK. *ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF SUGAR. **PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

So the Cool Whip is still primarily [hydrogenated] oil and [corn] syrup, both have 3g carbs per serving, the TruWhip has 2g fat instead of 1g (but it’s not hydrogenated). shrugs…I guess we have different opinions regarding which is the “better bad” but I can agree to disagree.

try whipping up egg whites with splenda, and vanilla extract…like a meringue…and folding it in. i see that most meringue recipes include cream of tartar. Not sure how that fits into “volumized” or optimized recipes here. a quick google search revealed that alternatives to cream of tartar are white vinegar or lemon juice at 3x amount of cream of tartar called for.

I’m making this tonight. For 10 people, should be fun

Okay I used a 30oz can and a 15oz can, and eyeballed the cool whip. Added a bunch of pumpkin spice and used banana creme pudding mix instead of vanilla ( did use vanilla almond breeze ). It’s a bit runnier than I like, so after a few hours in the fridge I’m going to see how it comes out. If it’s a touch thin still I might add a scoop of vanilla MD and see if that thickens it up a bit. ( plus what a great way to feed my guests protein ).

Okay I just have to say this stuff was awesome. The pumpkin spice was a nice touch and I think the banana creme works out nicely.

i made this last night but instead of using cool whip, i whipped 4 egg whites, 1 1/2 TBS splenda, 1 TSP vanilla extract, 1 TSP cream of tartar, and substituted vanilla rice milk for the almond milk in the pumpkin mixture(son’s allergies). TOTALLY AWESOME! I totally recommend the egg white mixture over the questionable cool whip. side note: 4 egg whites go along way!! You probably could half the recipe.

thanks for the great idea chris. the only bad thing is that i’m doing a pulse fast today so i have to wait to enjoy the guiltless treat!

Man that recommendation for the egg whites was spot on!

Tip: Chill the mixing bowl prior to whipping them up. It’ll help it stay firm while you’re folding it in.

Instead of the jello I used two heaping scoops of Vanilla Metabolic Drive. The best thing you can possibly do to make the perfect consistency of Mousse is to go slow, cut with your spatula top to bottom of the bowl, making a line, and scooping from underneath and “folding” it up above the whip. It takes a little bit of patience but trust me, the consistency is exquisite. Definetly worth it. I made a HUGE batch so this will be my snack/dessert for a few days. Good stuff!

What about just whipping some heavy cream or half and half with splenda? Would that work?

Heavy cream would work pretty well, not sure about the half and half. If you try the half and half DON’T get the low-fat/fat free stuff. It has more chemicals in it than a do-it-yourself chemistry set.

The only thing is that the heavy cream is going to be fairly calorically dense, and depending on the brand may be a bit high in the carbohydrates. Just be sure (like always) to check the label.

[quote]Rob_153 wrote:
Heavy cream would work pretty well, not sure about the half and half. If you try the half and half DON’T get the low-fat/fat free stuff. It has more chemicals in it than a do-it-yourself chemistry set.

The only thing is that the heavy cream is going to be fairly calorically dense, and depending on the brand may be a bit high in the carbohydrates. Just be sure (like always) to check the label.[/quote]

Thanks. I’ll try the heavy cream and see how it works.