Biotest

Pulse VEAST

I was reading a couple other threads Chris recently pointed to (one was the V-Diet 3.5 thread) but I’ve also been reading more about the Pulse Feast method. Chris, I’m wondering what your thoughts are on doing a five day Pulse “Veast” where you take in two-to-three pulses in keeping with the Pulse Feast method, but instead of a typical “Feast” at night, you have one large V-Diet shake…

Personally, I love the idea of the pulse feast, but I’m not really sure I trust myself enough to “feast”

anyway, do you have any thoughts on the merits of this? Worth trying, or waste of time?

Definitely worth trying. In fact, the wifey and I have both done it. It falls between a Pulse Fast and a Pulse Feast. For those that find that Fast to be too much or too long for them, or for those like yourself who don’t quite trust themselves with a Feast, it’s perfect.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Definitely worth trying. In fact, the wifey and I have both done it. It falls between a Pulse Fast and a Pulse Feast. For those that find that Fast to be too much or too long for them, or for those like yourself who don’t quite trust themselves with a Feast, it’s perfect.

[/quote]

Hey guys. Just noticed this discussion and thought I’d pop in for just a sec. You know, my wife and I also modified the Pulse Fast to incorporate something very similar. We have 4-8 eggs (2-4 are whole eggs) to get through the very tough evening hours of the “fast”. I do this twice in the evening and it makes the entire process 100% easier - without jacking insulin or even eating truly solid food.

[quote]Lonnie Lowery, PhD wrote:

Hey guys. Just noticed this discussion and thought I’d pop in for just a sec. You know, my wife and I also modified the Pulse Fast to incorporate something very similar. We have 4-8 eggs (2-4 are whole eggs) to get through the very tough evening hours of the “fast”. I do this twice in the evening and it makes the entire process 100% easier - without jacking insulin or even eating truly solid food.

[/quote]

Very cool.

Eggs are a good choice too, from a satiety standpoint. It just seems like it’s hard to overeat plain eggs. Maybe that’s a sensory specific satiety thing.

A couple of times I nearly went off the rails during one of those “tough evening hours” on a pulse fast day and reigned myself in with nothing but a couple (5oz. total between the 2) turkey cutlets. It’s so funny (not really humorous though) how my mind starts rationalizing the stupidest shit when I get super hungry like that.

"Well, you know, Mark… Thib does those pulse feasts, you could totally eat a bunch and not undo your fast day. Just have some peanut butter or some dark chocolate or … " and it all starts spiraling from there. So I got to the point where I eventually said, look, rather than just lose it totally, eat something whole and good protein, slowly, and go from there. Usually about halfway through I regain my sanity and head to bed.

What got me thinking about this is how I could do a pulse feast blitz without the “feast” factor (which I know I would lose at this stage) but keep the super structure that helps keep me disciplined enough not to deviate from my course. Rather than pulse feast for a week, I was thinking I could pulse every day for 5 days, but have one of the big, nutrient dense shakes at night in place of a “blank slate” feast where I already know in my deranged, fasted evening state I would make the worst choices possible to make up my feast.

Definitely even more eager to try it now. I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

Okay, starting tomorrow it’s VEAST WEEK. I’ll start a log thread, but in the meantime I’m interested in tips for my evening shake. I’m planning to go with a 3 scooper (maybe 4 if I’m feeling absolutely famished, but otherwise, 3). I’m skipping the peanut butter and flax seed in favor of 4 FA3s with my Flameout (which I’ll do 3 in the morning with my Power Drive, Alpha Male and pre workout BCAAs + 1/2 scoop 0 carb Isopure Whey Isolate on applicable days plus 3 more at night)

Anyway, my query here is, normally the “evening shake” on the V-Diet calls for Leucine, but I’m thinking it will be okay to skip that as I’ll be pulsing anyway. Do I need the Leucine in that evening shake? I’m planning to put a bunch of Superfood in with the Feast Shake, too.

So, it’ll basically be 3 scoops Metabolic Drive Low Carb, Superfood, Water, Ice. Also toying with the idea of throwing an egg in there, or maybe a 1/2 cup of Almond Milk just to make it extra rich and sufficiently “feasty” – thoughts on that?

I realize there are no wrong answers on this one, since it’s (I’m surmising) a relatively new experiment, but I’m interested in feedback nonetheless. My goals are rapid fat loss/body recomposition, and to keep that sustained “fasted buzz” thing I feel on pulse days, but with the evening feast shakes to keep me from crashing too hard.

[quote]VTRushinCA wrote:
Okay, starting tomorrow it’s VEAST WEEK. I’ll start a log thread, but in the meantime I’m interested in tips for my evening shake. I’m planning to go with a 3 scooper (maybe 4 if I’m feeling absolutely famished, but otherwise, 3). I’m skipping the peanut butter and flax seed in favor of 4 FA3s with my Flameout (which I’ll do 3 in the morning with my Power Drive, Alpha Male and pre workout BCAAs + 1/2 scoop 0 carb Isopure Whey Isolate on applicable days plus 3 more at night)

Anyway, my query here is, normally the “evening shake” on the V-Diet calls for Leucine, but I’m thinking it will be okay to skip that as I’ll be pulsing anyway. Do I need the Leucine in that evening shake? I’m planning to put a bunch of Superfood in with the Feast Shake, too.

So, it’ll basically be 3 scoops Metabolic Drive Low Carb, Superfood, Water, Ice. Also toying with the idea of throwing an egg in there, or maybe a 1/2 cup of Almond Milk just to make it extra rich and sufficiently “feasty” – thoughts on that?

I realize there are no wrong answers on this one, since it’s (I’m surmising) a relatively new experiment, but I’m interested in feedback nonetheless. My goals are rapid fat loss/body recomposition, and to keep that sustained “fasted buzz” thing I feel on pulse days, but with the evening feast shakes to keep me from crashing too hard.

[/quote]

No egg. The body doesn’t utilize all of the protein from raw eggs anyway, so it’s a waste.

2 scoops would be fine, but 3 is too if you need it.

Skipping leucine is fine, but leucine is never a bad idea with any physique goal, and it’s perfect to add to a big meal.

Almond milk is fine, unsweetened of course. I find that Metabolic Drive doesn’t need anything though to make it rich and creamy. Water is all that’s needed in my book. I could just never tell the difference between water vs. skim milk, Calorie Countdown, almond etc. With MD, it’s always thick and good.

Yeah, I think i’ll toss out the Almond milk and just go with water and a ton of ice. They go down better that way anyway (and more filling).

If I go with the three scoops, that puts me at only about 125g of protein for the day. For a week… I’m not sure I like that. I’d feel a lot more comfortable at around 150, so I either need to add in a scoop of whey isolate or MD or eat a can of tuna or something on top of it. Something to give me ~25g of protein but without any carbs.

[quote]VTRushinCA wrote:
Yeah, I think i’ll toss out the Almond milk and just go with water and a ton of ice. They go down better that way anyway (and more filling).

If I go with the three scoops, that puts me at only about 125g of protein for the day. For a week… I’m not sure I like that. I’d feel a lot more comfortable at around 150, so I either need to add in a scoop of whey isolate or MD or eat a can of tuna or something on top of it. Something to give me ~25g of protein but without any carbs. [/quote]

I understand the concern, but I think whollups of amino acids/leucine override total protein count, at least for 5 days.

Either way, I’ll be interested in hearing your results!

Okay, cool. That’s all I needed to hear, then. I’ll do a 3-scooper tonight with the Leucine/Superfood. It makes me feel better, too, because it keeps the experiment more “pure” in the realm of V-Diet/Pulse Fast/Feat world. No Almond milk, no tuna/turkey etc. Just a week of pulse fast following by “feast shake” … i can’t imagine it not yielding decent results, but I’m curious as to what the results will be.

Thanks for your help & input.

Old post but I just found it and it saved my night. Currently doing a 2 week v-diet/pulse fast combo, pulse fast every Thursday and Sunday. I had a pulse tonight and was starving an hour later, found this post and made some egg whites and feel so much better. Thanks guys!

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.