Biotest

Proof is in the Shorts

I’ve ordered, everything’s on its way. Even bought the tiny blender for work.

Hmm. The usual green beach shorts didn’t fit as usual for these log photos. In fact, pretty damn uncomfortable. All remaining doubts about this V-Diet are now thrown aside.

Lately, there’s been a little bit of a disconnect between reality and my perception of reality. Sometimes it takes a pair of shorts to uncover the truth. I’m here because I want my discipline back. I got real proud of myself a while ago for quitting smoking. So proud that I started justifying a bit of overeating and over-sipping on the ol’ scotch in place of the cigarettes. “Oh, it’s cool, as long as I don’t smoke.” Recently, a real solid observation hit me with enough force to knock a drink out my hand, I have been trading vices and obsessions, one for another, for years.

I made a nice physique transformation years ago, the kind of transformation that allows a man to feel a certain kind of pride in wearing a certain pair of shorts. Let it begin, again. Let it keep going, this time with better lung capacity.

Welcome aboard! Keep us posted!

Thanks Chris!

First day is going well. Loving the shakes.
Can’t seem to find what flaxseed serving size should be. For today, I made assumption it would be same volume (?) as nut butter.
Workout took about 25 min. Seems very short. I will be scouring forum to see what kind of warm-up works best. You have to warm up, no?For today, three quick warm-up sets for each exercise, after initially gently getting heart rate up to 120.

5’9"
182.3 lbs
neck: 15.75"
shoulder: 50.50"
chest/up: 43.00"
chest/lo: 40.50"
waist/navel: 36.00"
waist/largest: 37.00"
hips/largest: 40.00"
upper arm L: 14.50"
upper arm R: 14.50"
upper leg L: 24.00"
upper leg R: 24.50"
lower leg L: 14.75"
lower leg R: 15.00"
ankle L: 8.75"
ankle R: 8.75"

I have always had workouts between 5-6:30am and found it difficult to get a meal with adequate digestion time in beforehand. This week’s workouts felt fairly energetic with 1/2 shake, 1/2 Surge and the HOT-ROX. It’s an indication that I might be habitually shortchanging myself on nutrition around early workouts.

It’s been a while, years for some components of the routine, like overhead squats and weighted dips. I’m enjoying V, with more enthusiasm than discomfort. So far the only frustration has been a fairly overwhelming desire to chew something, anything, between about 4-7pm. I’ve found myself actually looking forward to a minute with a fiber tablet.

It’s also difficult to have family members eating something I know is nutritious. My son chose some nice sashimi for the ride home from martial arts yesterday, I was glad he was in the back seat and ate quickly. A desire to snatch part of another’s meal may say more about my history of manners than my dietary discipline at this point. Do I regularly swipe people’s food or something? Ugh. This should be easier next week.

This program is fun and a nice change.

Holy DOMS! Heavy front squats with such little rest? All the time I’ve spent foam rolling has taken care of the NEPA requirements. Looking forward to HSM.

[quote]das Riplomat wrote:
This program is fun and a nice change.

Holy DOMS! Heavy front squats with such little rest? All the time I’ve spent foam rolling has taken care of the NEPA requirements. Looking forward to HSM. [/quote]

I just checked Mondays workout…

I’m having a glimpse of a front squat tabata workout…more specifically, as Dan John said! “That thing your trying to brush off your face? That’s the floor” haha. Not looking forward to that one lmao, gonna keep the bucket handy!

Motivational beach short snapshot. das, I think you may have weighed about 173 in this photo. Nice move, standing next to a four year old, you look huge!

LOL, no puking up any protein shakes yet, which is good, I guess. But, I really did have to foam roll for about 2 hrs in the last 3 days and take a yoga class last night to help recover from Friday’s fronts. It’s just been too long. This morning’s overhead squats were much better than last Monday’s. I forgot how much I “enjoy” those. I workout in a Gold’s, so any unusual nontreadmill movement at 5:30 am garners significant interest, especially if one squeals out at the bottom and ditches the barbell with a loud crash.

Things continue to go well.

one serving of flax is usually 2 tbsp so you guessed right, fyi

[quote]das Riplomat wrote:
LOL, no puking up any protein shakes yet, which is good, I guess. But, I really did have to foam roll for about 2 hrs in the last 3 days and take a yoga class last night to help recover from Friday’s fronts. It’s just been too long. This morning’s overhead squats were much better than last Monday’s. I forgot how much I “enjoy” those. I workout in a Gold’s, so any unusual nontreadmill movement at 5:30 am garners significant interest, especially if one squeals out at the bottom and ditches the barbell with a loud crash. [/quote]
Getting back into squatting after a long period without is a very painful process, especially if there are a lot of stairs in your life.

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:
Getting back into squatting after a long period without is a very painful process, especially if there are a lot of stairs in your life. [/quote]

Amen.

After the V Burn, I realized I haven’t done many “side lunges,” ever. There’s a divot in the foam roller and the pvc pipe is just too much pain right now.

Never had so much protein. I usually kept around 150g, from food, not many supps. I’m hoping my scale number is typical and has to do with adding some lean tissue from extra protein and movements I haven’t used in years. I certainly feel progress, that point where everything deep suddenly firms up and everything outer shell seems to suddenly slide and float over that new density in a strangely revealing way. I can see how small I should be when I brace and tuck everything to the side. It’s good.

I didn’t weigh myself on Monday. I worried some dramatic number might have a negative effect on my discipline. Like I’d see the number and loosen the resolve, find a cheeseburger and a beer and just justify, celebrate. Anyway, I hopped on the gym’s scale this morning and was shocked to see such a small drop, considering recent comments from family along with the visual hint of ab and that weird fat float phenomenon described above. The measurements seem more reassuring than the scale weight:

6.6.2011           6.22.2011

H. 69" 69"
LBS 182.3 178.6
neck 16.0 16.0
shoulder 50.5 50.0
u.chest 43.0 43.0
l.chest 40.5 39.5
n.waist 36.0 35.0
l.waist 37.0 35.0
u.arm l 14.5 14.25
u.arm r 14.5 14.25
u.leg l 24.0 24.0
u.leg r 24.5 24.0
l.leg l 14.75 15.0
l.leg r 15.0 15.0
ankle l 08.75 8.875
ankle r 08.75 8.875

Good progress. 2 inches off your lower waist is huge! Good work.

Looks like you are on the way…even though scale weight is not the best indicator, for me it’s hugely demotivating. I was lazy and did not take measurements when i started…going to do it now

[quote]AndreiG wrote:
Looks like you are on the way…even though scale weight is not the best indicator, for me it’s hugely demotivating. I was lazy and did not take measurements when i started…going to do it now[/quote]

Some people have had really huge scale drops on this diet, I guess I was hoping for something really dramatic. But, then again, having my pants fit better in less than a week was unexpected, fairly dramatic in its own right.

I’ve kept measurements and photos from over the years. I’ll look at a photo, remember posing with a 38" chest, 35" waist, and 17" arms, really proud about my “huge arms.” I really had no idea where I’d be going or what I’d be capable of doing, it’s nice to have that record of where I’ve been.

I never believed myself capable of maintaining the clean grip past warm-up weights on front squats. A nasty sunburn proved me and my crossed arms wrong today.

Following the V-diet has offered an unexpected lesson. I’m not at all suited to the “intuitive” approach I’ve been taking with my workouts and meal planning. Actually, I shouldn’t call it “planning.” Meals have all been habit, the same old thing that had worked 3 years ago. I haven’t followed workout plans, going intuitively on a daily basis to “work around injuries.” Well, six weeks fully mapped out in advance has been revelatory. I don’t remember when I “graduated” to the intuitive level, but it was a mistake. I’m not Dave Draper.

I haven’t been perfect with all of this. Several dropped reps that wrecked rest periods, several handfuls of almonds when I needed something to chew… Yes, I need work. But I’m certainly headed in a more suitable direction and picking up speed.

My scale weight drop isn’t that dramatic also. But I am as lean as I once was. However, but love handle proved extremely stubborn and is not budging much. But that’s alright. Just like you, my work pants fitted significantly better, and that has been a great morale boost for me. Today marked the last day of my V-diet workout. V-burn tomorrow, and Monday starts the transition period for me.

[quote]sooby77 wrote:
My scale weight drop isn’t that dramatic also. But I am as lean as I once was. However, but love handle proved extremely stubborn and is not budging much. But that’s alright. Just like you, my work pants fitted significantly better, and that has been a great morale boost for me. Today marked the last day of my V-diet workout. V-burn tomorrow, and Monday starts the transition period for me.[/quote]

We’re starting the transition at the same time. My handles are the last to go, usually at the point when I start loosing muscle in the upper body.

6.6.2011 7.2.2011
5’9" 5’9"
182.3 lbs 176.0 lbs
neck: 15.75" 16.00"
shoulder: 50.50" 50.00"
chest/up: 43.00" 42.75"
chest/lo: 40.50" 39.50"
waist/navel: 36.00" 35.00"
waist/largest: 37.00" 35.00"
hips/largest: 40.00" 38.25"
upper arm L: 14.50" 14.00"
upper arm R: 14.50" 14.00"
upper leg L: 24.00" 23.50"
upper leg R: 24.50" 23.50"
lower leg L: 14.75" 15.00"
lower leg R: 15.00" 15.00"
ankle L: 8.75" 8.875"
ankle R: 8.75" 8.875"

VBurn time down about 10 min. from week 2 (didn’t finish in week 1)
With shorter rest, was able to add weight to all lifts except barbell curl

Was not able to strictly follow the diet:

1. Cannot call solid meal of week 2 or 3 “healthy”
  2. ate almonds for something to chew on
  3. Safe to say I went a little nuts with the nut butters
  4. Drank an entire pitcher of pina coladas while on vacation (I had to sit in the ocean until the carbs wore off)
  5. Plan to drink at least one, at least one beer tomorrow while grilling for everyone

Habit turnarounds I view as successful thus far:

1. looked forward to every workout and gave 100%, well, maybe except for in those last few minutes of VBurn when I panted on the floor.
  2. Was drinking 2-3 per night. did not drink every night and was not impressed with the pina colada experience
  3. Was drinking about 32 oz coffee per morning. did not drink coffee until I got sick of the vanilla flavor MD. 4oz of coffee really changes that. I think having the HOT-ROX helped with this, although I really do not like the feeling they give my throat. Hoping I can drop caffeine someday…

I’m going to stick to the transition and try the whole thing again in a few months. Post pics hopefully tomorrow.