Biotest

Previous V-Diet Plan

Today I started the diet and I have a few questions. About two weeks ago you guys had a previous meal plan for the diet that included using flax in the morning and evening, along with natural peanut butter at night; as well as, the Surge after working out. The diet in the book does not have any of this item included in the meal plan, but the package I purchase came with the Surge, can I use it instead of the Plazma? Do I use the flax in the morning and night or not all? I guess we don’t include the peanut butter, since the new meal plan includes HSM once a day? Thanks.

VE

I am also interested to know the rationale behind changing the diet to include a HSM daily. I am currently on day 8 of the diet and don’t know if I should change the routine to the new instructions. Any suggestions?

Glad to help, Jo_seph.

First, it’s up to you to use the previous V-Diet or switch to the new one. Obviously, the previous plan was very successful, though I do think we’ve smoothed out the rough edges and improved it with the new version. Here are some thoughts.

1. You’re right, there’s no need for the peanut butter in a shake since we’re having the opportunity to have an HSM (healthy solid meal) daily. We want to save those calories and healthy fats for that solid meal.

2. The flax seed caused the most issues with the previous V-Diet plan. It bothered some people’s stomachs, it had to be fresh and kept in the fridge (some of the store-bought stuff isn’t fresh or good quality), plus it was just one more thing to go buy AFTER buying a big supplement package. I always felt bad about that part. Also, the daily HSM should take care of fiber needs, so no need for the sometimes troublesome flax.

3. Plazma wasn’t invented yet when the V-Diet came out and it’s a superior workout drink. Surge Recovery is still good stuff though, and we don’t want you to have to re-buy something if you’ve already started. I do suggest sipping your Surge Recovery throughout the workout instead of having it all afterward. Today we know the importance of peri-workout nutrition (pre, intra etc.) so Plazma is an upgrade to Surge Recovery since it’s used before and during training. This should really help V-Dieters who may be coming into the workout in need of energy. Sipping Surge during training isn’t the exact same as using Plazma made just for those times, but it’ll do in a pinch and have a better lifting session.

4. The daily HSM was added for a few reasons. First, it makes the diet more pleasant and socially acceptable (you can have dinner with the family for example.) This should lead more people to finishing the V-Diet since it allows for one daily solid meal – it’s just “easier” though still tightly controlled with calories. The results in fat loss are the same, yet it increases compliance and long-term success. The HSM also allows you more chances to “practice” for after the V-Diet. Instead of figuring out what a healthy meal is, portions, food choices etc. only once per week, you get the practice that every day.

Now, you can switch to the new plan (making the Surge Recovery tweak) or you can do what’s already working if you like the results so far. Or maybe a bit of a mix 'n match of the two different plans.

Chris,

Thank you once again for the prompt response. Although the first week was difficult, I lost 13 pounds (211 lbs day 1) and do not want to lose any momentum/progress. I am going to try following the new plan and will let you know what the week 2 results look like. Thank you for the program and all of the continued support, so far things are going great!

Regards,

Joe

Keep me updated, Joe!

Now, keep on mind that for many people the first week is the fastest in terms of scale weight. There’s some water loss due to the lower carbs in addition to fat loss.

Once that water and excess “bloat” weight is off, the scale slows down. But that’s okay, it just means that now you’re in the pure fat loss mode. And since the V-diet keeps you from losing muscle, the scale weight loss won’t be as dramatic. Some people even gain some muscle on the V-Diet due to the new workouts, the high protein, and the workout drink. So keep an eye on the tape measurements or how your clothes fit. That’s a better indicator than just scale weight.

Hi Chris - I’m currently researching the V-Diet after it was recommended to me but see that the meal plan has recently changed. Is there anywhere on the site that sets out the previous version with only one HSM per week? Also where can I find the body mass / calorie calculator that used to be on the website? Thanks very much.

No, the old version has been removed to avoid confusion. And the calculator is no longer needed (it was a rough estimate anyway and didn’t fit everyone’s needs.) If you haven’t yet, download the new version for free here: http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/velocity-diet

I am in the same predicament … Bought everything a few weeks ago and plan for to start tomorrow. Can someone advise as to how much flax seed and nut butter to use if I want to go with the old plan?

[quote]rcjackson13 wrote:
I am in the same predicament … Bought everything a few weeks ago and plan for to start tomorrow. Can someone advise as to how much flax seed and nut butter to use if I want to go with the old plan? [/quote]

Those are no longer in the V Diet. The new V Diet is available for free right here: http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/velocity-diet

I understand that, and I already have the ebook. Surge is also not a part of the new version, but i have that along with enough product for 6 weeks on the old program because that’s what I bought back in December. I’m just looking for some general guidance as to how much flax seed and nut butter to use if I want to stick to the old program. Email is fine if you’d rather not post here, rcjackson13@gmail.com. Thanks!

Nut butter: one serving according to label.

It’s usually about a tablespoon, though you could probably just cut it out of the diet. Too many potential issues.

Thanks for the response, Chris! After stressing out a bit over the change I decided to go with the new plan. Only 3 days in, but having the daily HSM has made it WAY more manageable. Dinner with family … option for lunch meetings if I need to … much more doable. Looking forward to seeing how the first weeks results come in.

[quote]rcjackson13 wrote:
Thanks for the response, Chris! After stressing out a bit over the change I decided to go with the new plan. Only 3 days in, but having the daily HSM has made it WAY more manageable. Dinner with family … option for lunch meetings if I need to … much more doable. Looking forward to seeing how the first weeks results come in.[/quote]

Good to hear!

Is there a food ratio for protein, fats, and carbs for the hsm

[quote]dreads76 wrote:
Is there a food ratio for protein, fats, and carbs for the hsm[/quote]

Not specifically. No need complicate it. Just go by the samples in the book and keep it clean and healthy.