Biotest

Powerlifter Interested in the V-Diet

I have a meet in Feb and planned to bulk up up until the meet and then was thinking after reading about the diet going on that for a month. The one thing i was curious is, on lifting days Sat, Mon, Wed, Thurs. Should I have enough energy for these workouts?

I’m usually eating something throughout the workout and drinking about a gallon of water throughout. My training group designs my workout and i just basically nod my head and say yes sir. So changing the workout plan isn’t really an option. What do you guys think, will this diet work for me? Thanks.

My usual advice is to save the V-Diet for after a powerlifting meet. You really don’t want to chase PRs and rapid fat loss at the same time. But, a few have done it and reported success.

Workout “energy” reports are mixed. Some people feel better training when on the V-Diet; others never feel optimal (which is fine since we’re only talking about 28 days here and only muscle preservation and metabolism maintenance as the main goal of the weight training.) Generally speaking, most report having less energy in the first week or so as the body adapts, then they stabilize and do fine for the last 3 weeks and the Transition period.

What you could do is go on the V-Diet now, then return to healthy but normal eating before the meet. That way you’re not competing on low-carbs and sub-maintenance calories.

Hi Chris,
i dont have access to protein shakes or fat-burners at this time. Will doing a diet with the same calories and macronutrient-ratios but with solid foods yield the same results?
If it wont, why not?
If it will, will the results be stunted?
thanks for your time

[quote]Joseb wrote:
Hi Chris,
i dont have access to protein shakes or fat-burners at this time. Will doing a diet with the same calories and macronutrient-ratios but with solid foods yield the same results?
If it wont, why not?
If it will, will the results be stunted?
thanks for your time [/quote]

Healthy eating and hard training always work. But it’s more complex, takes more preparation, it’s slower, and you usually don’t get the taste/craving/behavioral changes associated with the V-Diet. But the V-Diet certainly isn’t the only way to lose fat.

Oh I was talking about going on it before the meet. What I had planned was jumping into the V-Diet after the meet. That way i can drop off the excess fat from bulking.

Also, i was curious, could I swim some laps as opposed to the walks to change things up?

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

Healthy eating and hard training always work. But it’s more complex, takes more preparation, it’s slower, and you usually don’t get the taste/craving/behavioral changes associated with the V-Diet. But the V-Diet certainly isn’t the only way to lose fat.

[/quote]
coach,
Why would the fat-loss be slower? Other than the preparation, shouldnt the calories in-calories out be the underlying cause of fat-loss in the velocity diet?

The reason i’m asking is that ive been doing the
not-velocity diet for 6 days and i really feel like crap. if the “fat-ripping” results won’t occur because i dont have the protein shakes, then im thinking of switching it over to ketosis or carb cycling.
Could you give me some advice on the matter?