Biotest

Powerlifter Doing the V-Diet

Hi, my name is Joey and I have been powerlifting for a bit over 2 years now. I weigh 265 at between 6’0 and 6’1", not sure exactly… dunno bodyfat, but higher than I would like.

Two weeks ago we had a competition that I weighed in at 272. It was a push/pull and my best lifts there were a 335 bench which was too easy. Also a 620 deadlift, and I missed 635 at lockout. My best squat is 510, and Military Press is 200.

Here are the videos from the competition:

I would like to drop down to compete in the 242 class again while staying leaner. My main concern is strength on this diet. I’m nervous about it but it’s also an experiment and I want to see how it turns out. I’ve been advised that doing a longer drawn out, slow diet approach would get me there with less strength decrease. My thoughts are that if I can get to where I want to be in a month, then start eating healthier and just maintaining my weight, I could start increasing my strength again, even if it drops a little. A longer diet could take 3-4 months I would think to drop 15-20 lbs at a really slow pace. So that’s one of my reasons behind choosing this diet. The other reason is that I don’t really enjoy spending ridiculous amounts of time preparing 6 super clean meals a day. I’ve done a diet like that before for a couple months, and it gets pretty old and time consuming.

One other thing, is that I’m getting married in a couple months and want to be in better condition for that and the honeymoon cruise. :slight_smile:

I am going to do the intermediate program, but SLIGHTLY modified. Since I have two training partners and we run 5/3/1 three days a week together on a MWFM rotation, and I still want to lift with them at least on the main lift of the day.

Here is my plan:

Military Press 5/3/1
(8-9RM day)
Bent Over Barbell Row
Reverse Lunge
BB Curl

Squat 5/3/1
(4-5RM day)
Chin-up
Dumbell Bench
Ab Wheel

Bench press 5/3/1
(8-9RM day)
Bent Over Dumbell Row
Walking Lunge
BB Curl

Deadlift 5/3/1
(4-5RM day)
Dips (instead of decline DBs…)
Neutral Grip Lat PD’s
Hand Walkout

It is still very much like the original V-diet layout. Since it is full body, on squat day, I just replaced the leg exercise for that day. I am going to lower my maxes a bit, keep the rest times lower on the 3 working sets of the day, and not push the last set until failure. I don’t think it’s too crazy, and it will allow me to train with my partners.

I’ll post my training starting Monday with squats.

Edit: Going to go take measurements now and post them up later… should have done it last night but it was late.

Alright I got some measurements, not everything recommended but I have enough.

Naval: 44.5" (My largest area)
Waist: 43" (Where my pants sit)
Upper Thighs: 28"
Lower Thighs: 25"
Arms: 17.5" (They are both the same)
Forearms: 14.5"
Calves: 17"
Neck: 18"

Really all I need are my waist and naval measurements. The rest I can judge in the mirror. It will be interesting to compare afterward though.

Good luck on your diet. Being a powerlifter and having a decent amount of muscle mass, you should see some really good results when you drop some bodyfat.

Awesome lifts posted.

Looks like you benched 335 pretty easy. What did you miss on your first attempt?

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:
Good luck on your diet. Being a powerlifter and having a decent amount of muscle mass, you should see some really good results when you drop some bodyfat. [/quote]

Thanks hockeydawg. I’m fairly confident I’ll see good results if I stick it out through this whole thing, haha. I’m just worried about strength. It’s only a month though, and it’ll be an experiment worth the experience.

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:
Awesome lifts posted.

Looks like you benched 335 pretty easy. What did you miss on your first attempt? [/quote]

My attempts on bench went 315, 325, 335. 315 did not go so well so I didn’t increase the weight much, then the attempts just got easier as I got more focused I guess.

My next push/pull I want to total 1000, which would be something like 350/650. We’ll see. :slight_smile:

Thanks for visiting.

3-28-11 Squats

Box Squat 13" box… top of thighs are a bit under parallel…
8xBar
6x135
3x185
3x225
1x275
1x315
1x365
1x405
1x455

Neutral-Grip Pullups BW=255ish
5xBW+35
5xBW+25
4xBW
3xBW
3xBW

Flat DB Bench
5x50
5x75
5x90 *too light
5x100
5x100
4x100
3x100

Ab Wheel Used a weighted vest to do these… probably 40-50 lbs.
5xBW+Vest
5xBW+Vest
5xBW+Vest
5xBW+Vest

A few days into the V-Diet and first workout done. I wanted to go up after that last set of 455, but stopped there since I probably shouldn’t be going all out while on this diet.

I over-estimated my strength on pullups at my bodyweight. Dropped the weight but that second set was ugly, so I just dropped to BW and finished. I’ll stick to BW and just do real clean reps.

I didn’t quite do 20 reps with 100 but I did that first set of 90’s but it was a bit too light. I’ll do the 100’s next week and try to get 4 sets of 5 in.

I’m used to the ab wheels, but not with weight. That was definitely a lot harder. I’ll weigh the vest sometime.

The short rest times were killing me, lol.

This diet so far is really easy. Of course I’ve had urges to eat food, especially when we were watching a movie, lol. It’s not too hard to just stick to the shakes though since I know I’m not really hungry, just idle. It’s just so easy to just prepare shakes in the morning for the entire day. I bought 5 big water bottles and labeled them Meal 1 through 5. :slight_smile:

Of course, it’s only the third day, lol. I’m going to have my meal on friday night, probably Outback. So hopefully on saturday morning I’ll be good to go for a bit of deadlifting. I’ll do the V-Burn on Sunday.

3-31-11 Bench

Flat BB Bench Press
10xBar
6x135
3x185
3x225
3x250
4x285
1x315

Barbell Rows
5x135
5x225
5x225
5x225
5x225

~12" Step-Ups
5x135
5x185
5x185
5x185
5x185

EZ Bar Curls
5x95
5x95
4x95
3x95
3x95

Good session again. This was the 7th day of the V-diet and I still had a ton of energy while training. Strength seems to be fine still. It’s funny that my grip can hold a ton of weight with a mixed grip, but my grip was failing on those barbell rows with a double overhand. Next time I’m going to up the weight a little and use straps. I need back work, not grip work. My curling strength sucks too since I never do it… probably should more often.

I GET MY MEAL TONIGHT! It’s crazy how much I can’t stop thinking about it. I might even do two meals. One dinner and then a smaller meal later. I don’t think it’s a big deal if I do that. I think the “1 meal a week” strict guidelines is so people know exactly what they have to do. I’m pretty strict with myself and so far this diet is really easy… but I’m still really excited for some real food tonight. BIG ASS STEAK FILET AND SWEET TATER HERE I COME!

Deadlifts tomorrow morning. Good timing with the meal tonight then… and then my first V-diet challenge on sunday when I go to the gym with my Mom.

Good job on your first week. It’s all easy from here right? I found the first week the hardest and after that the rest flew by relatively fast. I do know that my first HSM on day 7 was like a party in my mouth. Enjoy Outback, I had my week 3 HSM there and it was awesome.

Lets see some pics!

4-2-11 Deadlifts

Conventional Deadlifts
6x135
3x225
1x315 *hook grip up to this point…
3x425
1x495

Elevated Deadlifts 6" Blocks…
1x225
1x315
1x405
1x495
1x545

Close-Grip BB Bench
5x135
5x225
5x225
5x225
3x225
2x225

Neutral-Grip Pulldowns
*few warmups…
5x175
5x175
5x175
5x175

Reverse-Hyper Situps
2x10xBW

Didn’t do too much on deadlifts. Will go heavier next week if the diet isn’t getting to me yet. The bench got hard on those last sets, haha. Short rest times catch up to you real fast… I stopped at two sets on those situps. First time doing them and they are almost like doing a hanging upside down situp. Abs were cramping a bit after that last set, and I didn’t wanna get a cramp hanging there by myself, lol.

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:
Good job on your first week. It’s all easy from here right? I found the first week the hardest and after that the rest flew by relatively fast. I do know that my first HSM on day 7 was like a party in my mouth. Enjoy Outback, I had my week 3 HSM there and it was awesome. [/quote]

I keep reading that everyone says the first week is the hardest. We will see… I feel like eating more than ever though. I think it’s just because it’s the weekend and I’m just hanging out. The diet is really easy while at work…

I went somewhere else, so Outback will probably be this week!

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Lets see some pics![/quote]

Haha… it’s too early man!

I took before pictures and will post them later. Relaxed pictures are not very flattering, so I will post them up when I have something to compare to.

I just weighed in this morning at 252. I started at 265.

So I was planning on doing the V-Burn challenge today… but I went to the gym to help my mom, then softball practice for 2.5 hours. I am feelin pretty beat up. I play third and it felt like every other hit was coming my way, lol. I’m still pretty good since I haven’t played baseball in 7 years and never softball… but the sprinting back and forth while playing third is way more tiring than I remember, lol. I’m also about 60 lbs heavier than I used to be. :slight_smile:

Powerlifting muscle doesn’t carryover to sprinting back and forth catching grounders, lol. The added strength and size definitely helps me when batting… I was cranking them.

Anyway, my legs feel pretty burnt out and I don’t really want to kill myself if I’m already in a depleted state and have to lift tomorrow.

Do the V-Burn you pansy!! It will make you hate life, but I think that it is key to the diet…Be prepared for an ass kicker…You could always just make it up later in the week…

Yeah, we are lifting today so I was thinking of doing it tomorrow. I’ll make sure I get it in.

4-4-11 Military

Military Press
10xBar
6x95
3x135
3x155
6x175 *My best was 3x185…

Seated DB Press
6x50
0x80 *… right wrist hurting too much…

Chest Supported T-bar Row
5x110
5x110
5x110
5x110 *ill go a bit heavier next time.

Seated Face Pulls
15x75
15x75

Few db shrugs and curls to finish…

Good night. Not sure where this energy is coming from. I got good sleep last night but was tired all day but woke up when I left work. I got 7x165 last week and 6x175 today so I’m pretty damn happy with my strength right now. 10th diet on the diet and I’m down to 250. I was going to do lunges but opted not to… it’s not following the program exactly but we are squatting on wednesday, and I’d rather my legs not feel beat up for it, since I’m on such a low calorie diet right now.

Oh, and my wrist was hurting because I did something to it batting at softball on sunday. I’ve broken it a few times in the past so it acts up every once in a while. Bout 6 months ago I was doing power snatches and ended up breaking loose a piece of bone again that never really healed from an old injury… so if it hurts there I try to take it easy. Getting the heavy DB’s up just wasn’t agreeing with it. I’m sure it’ll be fine in a couple days. It didn’t bother it to do barbell pressing, so I’m not that worried about it.

[quote]Joweeee wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Lets see some pics![/quote]

Haha… it’s too early man!

I took before pictures and will post them later. Relaxed pictures are not very flattering, so I will post them up when I have something to compare to.
[/quote]
Haha, what are ya, a girl? :slight_smile: Ah well, keep us in suspense.

Glad to read about your progress. Motivates those that are a few days behind you (like me).

Lol. I suppose it’s fair to call me a girl. :smiley:

This second week seems much harder than the first, haha. Just gotta stay strong.

Did this last October and asked a few questions in the V-Diet section.

Cool, so did you do the entire diet? How did it work out for you?

I’m doing a mix of 5/3/1 and the V-Diet I suppose. Just working on the main lifts still, but then closely following the setup of the V-Diet workout. Seems to be working well enough so far.

Weighed 249 this morning.