Biotest

Plazma vs Mag-10 vs Surge?

Trying to get the most bang for my “peri-workout nutrition” buck. If I can only afford one, which one should I roll with? To consider:

-They all have the cyclic dextrin.

-Plazma is missing the betaine and beta alanine that surge has, Also does it have the full 6g of citrulline that surge has?

-But surge doesn’t have the hydrolyzed protein.

-And the carb/protein ratio is totally different in Plazma and Mag 10

Hey man, like I was saying in the other thread, I’d go for Surge Workout Fuel because it’s more budget-friendly while also having some of the same ingredients (cyclic dextrins for carbs, citrulline and betaine for performance, some similar electrolytes for hydration).

SWF does “only” have leucine as its protein/amino source, but that’s the most important amino for stimulating protein synthesis (discussed more here), so you’re still covered on that front.

I like to think of most things in the fitness/nutrition world on a good-better-best scale. In terms of workout nutrition, Surge Recovery is good. It’s old school and effective with basic fast protein and carbs, but that’s about it. Surge Workout Fuel is better because it’s even more efficient carbs plus other ingredients to help performance during the session. Plazma is the best because it’s top of the line with hydrolyzed casein, plus the fastest carbs, plus even more stuff for performance and recovery.

If we’re looking for “best bang for the buck”, hitting the middle of the road with SWF is the best balance.

Mag-10 is a bit of an outlier because it’s primarily a protein source, not strictly workout nutrition, because it’s lower carb and doesn’t have any “extras” like beta-alanine or citrulline. It can be effective for conditioning sessions/hard cardio because it has a muscle-sparing effect, but it’s not really best-suited for getting through an intense lifting session.

Very helpful info here, thank you. I’ll probably stick with the Plazma as long as I can afford it, but wanted some expert info if I was missing out on something with the other surge and Mag products.

Another question, regarding post workout. After an intense 60-70 minute workout in which I’ve consumed 3 servings of plazma, finishing the last sip at the end of the workout. Do I need a post workout shake like Mag-10 or does all that Plazma have me covered? So long as I have a healthy solid meal within an hour of finishing the workout and Plazma?

Reason I ask that last question is conventional post workout shake advice was a 2/1 carb to protein ratio, whereas the Mag 10 has almost an opposite ratio

3 servings of Plazma is on the high end. 2 servings will be fine to get most lifters through most workouts. You can shave it down to 1 serving for easier sessions (like just an arm day or a deload workout). But yeah, Plazma has you perfectly covered on its own. Having Mag-10 after training would be like recovery/growth insurance. Not necessary, but helpful.

Most of the time, I have 1 serving of Plazma right before training, 1 serving during the workout, and eat an hour or two later. Works fine.

Because Mag-10 isn’t a workout drink, it’s primarily a protein drink that can serve as workout nutrition. But that topic also starts getting into things like protein efficiency, absorption rates, and insulin response. Hydrolyzed casein (like in Mag-10 and Plazma) is optimal for all of those, compared to any kind of whey (like in “traditional” post-workout shakes).

One thing I don’t get about Surge Workout Fuel is how comparatively little it is suggested that one consumes with a workout compared to Plazma. Can you offer any insights?

For instance, many T Nation articles suggest 2 servings of Plazma, with about half being consumed up-front (front-loading) and the other half during the workout.

1-2 doses of Surge Workout Fuel are recommended, depending on the duration of the workout, but the serving size of Surge Workout Fuel is smaller when compared to Plazma.