Biotest

PLAZMA/MAG-10/Micro-PA: Not Just for Training

The flu bug has attacked my work team mates with a vengeance recently; I’ve had my poor folks out for over a week with fever, sinus/throat/respiratory ailments, etc. The fury of this bug has been amazing.

All this time, I have been able to avoid getting this bug. Alas, while under quite a bit of work related stress this past month, the bug got me really bad. I got all the horrible symptoms mentioned above. It lasted 3 straight days.

But that’s the important note: it only lasted 3 days…EVERYONE else has been out for over a week and returned looking pretty sallow, weak, and drained.

Like everyone else, I had NO appetite whatsoever during the bout. I’ve been sick like this before (not often), and my previous nutritional remedy was plenty of good food (that I had to choke down with the poor appetite) and plenty of protein drinks. In the end though, in those days my valiant attempt to feed my body was met with no-appetite beating me and relegating me to simple protein drinks. I would lose quite a bit of weight due to lack of nutrients with my body scavenging aminos from my muscle tissue to fuel/create what it needed to beat the bug.

Fast forward to my latest sick bout. NO FOOD…simply had ZERO appetite. But what I did take was PLAZMA and MAG-10…tons of it. 5 servings of Plazma spread throughout the day each followed by a serving of MAG-10. 3 of these “meals” had me adding 1 serving of (with one scoup (1/2 serving) of Superfood added)to the MAG-10.

Result:

1. ZERO weight loss. Hell…I “think” my adipose is down and I’m actually “bigger”. After being sick like this? Really?
  2. Able to train hard again on day 5 (took day 4 off even though I felt much better…just to make sure there wouldn’t be the dreaded relapse), with heavier weights and somewhat reduced volume. MASSIVE pump (AMAZING).
  3. No loss of strength…and to think I was bedridden basically for 3 straight days just prior…AMAZING.

No I-3G during this time. I DID take TWO servings of micro-PA however each day followed by a Plazma and MAG-10 “meal”. Spaced out the intakes 6 hours apart (roughly). I DO believe (no proof though) that the micro-PA may have staved off some possible catabolism. If I had some HMB, I probably would have also taken some of that alongside it. Again…for the anti-catabolic effects. ElitePro (7 caps) was religiously used every night.

I am going to really credit the quick availabilty of aminos AND carbs (very important) to my body for constructing the needed anti-bodies and fueling the fight without leaching lean muscle tissue. My previous attempt to feed my body with food and normal protein drinks resulted in not enough nutrients getting into my system in time or in enough concentration to effect lean tissue loss.

Being sick like this is similar to a tough workout on muscle breakdown, so it makes alot of sense the Plazma and MAG-10 helped out so much here. It’s “peri-workout nutrition” for the flu!!

I hope no one gets sick like this. It’s bad. But if you do, based upon my experience here, you don’t have to lose much of your hard earned muscle if you employ a similar approach.

Amit Sapir Log 1

Another thing that good is Metabolic Drive smoothies with yogurt and mixed fruit like berries apples pear peaches strawberries kiwi. The trick is to get one of those blenders thats the size of a drinking cup. You know the one where you drink the blend right out of the blender itself. That way there is no room for everything to expand and whip air into the drink. I love them, so much better than a full size blender. Sometimes in a regular blender the drink will almost double in volume.

Truth to this, also what I’ve found (although I should not) is that 1-2 servings of MAG-10 when you come home after a night of heavy drinking greatly reduces/eliminates hangover the next morning. I’m thinking sodium/potassium is the wonder here.

[quote]fightnews wrote:
Another thing that good is Metabolic Drive smoothies with yogurt and mixed fruit like berries apples pear peaches strawberries kiwi. The trick is to get one of those blenders thats the size of a drinking cup. You know the one where you drink the blend right out of the blender itself. That way there is no room for everything to expand and whip air into the drink. I love them, so much better than a full size blender. Sometimes in a regular blender the drink will almost double in volume.[/quote]

Samurai-- Sucks about the sickness, awesome about the supps helping. Thanks for sharing, along with your other threads and contributions. Good stuff.

Fightnews-- Thank you for the blender recommendation! I’ve had the volume issue with shakes forever. I must buy a new blender now haha

Oh this is cool, I was just about to start a thread about me not being able to stop vomiting and worrying about losing muscle, LOL

I took Plazma this morning because I wanted to force myself to work out, then I realized I was too sick and was worried that I wasted Plazma, but it’s a relief to know that it has a purpose even when I can’t train…

Interesting experience and some great information.

I am always hesitant is keep pounding supplements when sick, except for vitamins and the like that may help combat the sickness. Maybe a little protein if my stomach could handle it and I would have never considered pounding Plazma! Great read, my friend.

[quote]AceRock wrote:

[quote]fightnews wrote:
Another thing that good is Metabolic Drive smoothies with yogurt and mixed fruit like berries apples pear peaches strawberries kiwi. The trick is to get one of those blenders thats the size of a drinking cup. You know the one where you drink the blend right out of the blender itself. That way there is no room for everything to expand and whip air into the drink. I love them, so much better than a full size blender. Sometimes in a regular blender the drink will almost double in volume.[/quote]

Samurai-- Sucks about the sickness, awesome about the supps helping. Thanks for sharing, along with your other threads and contributions. Good stuff.

Fightnews-- Thank you for the blender recommendation! I’ve had the volume issue with shakes forever. I must buy a new blender now haha[/quote]
cool bro glad I could help, Let me know which one you get and how it works. I need a new one soon anyway

Buffd_Samurai,

Sorry to hear you got sick! I’ve read a lot of your post & they always seem to well thought out. I get why you did the MAG-10 & Micro-PA while being sick. What I’m curious about is what made you think of taking plazma? Seems like Biotest can add another reason why Plazma, MAG-10 & Micro-PA should be taken by everyone who’s working out… helps recoup from being sick. Although my guess FDA would have something to say about it.

[quote]Dark Cloud wrote:
Buffd_Samurai,

Sorry to hear you got sick! I’ve read a lot of your post & they always seem to well thought out. I get why you did the MAG-10 & Micro-PA while being sick. What I’m curious about is what made you think of taking plazma? Seems like Biotest can add another reason why Plazma, MAG-10 & Micro-PA should be taken by everyone who’s working out… helps recoup from being sick. Although my guess FDA would have something to say about it. [/quote]

Thanks for the kind words…I’m just sharing a neat experience I had that I think would help alot of us who live for the iron.

Reason why I thought about using Plazma when sick? The following is only my own logic; it all could be very very off. This being said: As indicated in my original post, when you think about it, an illness is similar to a really hard training session in the following way: BOTH will break down muscle tissue for the aminos. When you are training hard, the aminos are used for energy. When you are sick, the aminos are used to manufacture anti-bodies and energy to fuel the fight against the invader.

What does Plazma do during training? Not only does it supersaturate the tissues with aminos and nutrients, it raises insulin to impart an anti-catabolic environment during training. The carbs are used to provide the fuel needed to train…no (or mininal) muscle breakdown occurs due to these two things (insulin for anti-catabolic effect; energy from carbs so not from broken down muscle aminos), putting you one step ahead and actually getting some possible gaining from the training session.

What does Plazma do during an illness? As indicated, it provides the aminos quickly into the body for substrate that the body uses to manufacture what it needs to fight. If enough aminos are available exogenously, no breakdown of hard earned muscle tissue is needed…or at the worst, very minimal amount of muscle is broken down.

So both training AND being sick has these things in common. If Plazma works as indicated for training, then logic dictates that it must also do the same during the illness. Plazma is superior to MAG-10 in this regard because during illness the body needs the energy to do the manufacturing and to fight. MAG-10 would only provide the amino substrate…the body would have to get energy from somewhere, and preferably energy that is quick and easy to use. The quick and easy comes from carbs OR aminos from muscle. Sadly, I think ones fat stores are the LAST choice for the body to use to fuel the war against the illness.

I think eating food normally or taking simple protein drinks (yes, even Metabolic Drive) simply doesn’t load the blood with fast aminos enough to prevent the body from needing to breakdown muscle tissue. I think only something like Plazma or MAG-10 or other casein hydrolosate can do this.

One thing that I think I did wrong though is that I am struggling with my logic for using Micro-PA during illness. Micro-PA is great for training WITH Plazma because you are trying to use the aminos and carbs to BUILD. The aminos are the substrate (the leucine used to stimuate mTOR just like Micro-PA), the carbs are the energy and insulin raiser (i.e. the anti-catabolic).

But during illness, the idea is NOT to use the aminos for any type of building of muscle but building of anti-bodies. I don’t think m-PA aids in building anti-bodies…but again, I might be wrong.

So, if Micro-PA stimulated muscle building, then essentially I was sifting some of the aminos from the Plazma and MAG-10 “meals” away from using the substrate to fight the illness. In the end, it wasn’t bad, but this makes me wonder if I was doing the right thing or not.

Everyone by now knows I used to be an anabolic user way back…and one of my brilliant ideas (sarcasm here) based on some hair brained logic was to use anabolics while I was sick to “hold onto muscle”. Unfortunately, I think the anabolics did what they were supposed to do, but somehow I remained sick for awhile longer. Methinks the anabolics were doing just what I surmised with Micro-PA: shuttling what nutrition I was taking in to muscle and not enough to fighting the illness. I do believe there are some studies that indicate exogenous hormones during illness do indeed lower immune response a bit…but maybe that is my faulty recall as well.

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:

[quote]Dark Cloud wrote:
Buffd_Samurai,

Sorry to hear you got sick! I’ve read a lot of your post & they always seem to well thought out. I get why you did the MAG-10 & Micro-PA while being sick. What I’m curious about is what made you think of taking plazma? Seems like Biotest can add another reason why Plazma, MAG-10 & Micro-PA should be taken by everyone who’s working out… helps recoup from being sick. Although my guess FDA would have something to say about it. [/quote]

Thanks for the kind words…I’m just sharing a neat experience I had that I think would help alot of us who live for the iron.

Reason why I thought about using Plazma when sick? The following is only my own logic; it all could be very very off. This being said: As indicated in my original post, when you think about it, an illness is similar to a really hard training session in the following way: BOTH will break down muscle tissue for the aminos. When you are training hard, the aminos are used for energy. When you are sick, the aminos are used to manufacture anti-bodies and energy to fuel the fight against the invader.

What does Plazma do during training? Not only does it supersaturate the tissues with aminos and nutrients, it raises insulin to impart an anti-catabolic environment during training. The carbs are used to provide the fuel needed to train…no (or mininal) muscle breakdown occurs due to these two things (insulin for anti-catabolic effect; energy from carbs so not from broken down muscle aminos), putting you one step ahead and actually getting some possible gaining from the training session.

What does Plazma do during an illness? As indicated, it provides the aminos quickly into the body for substrate that the body uses to manufacture what it needs to fight. If enough aminos are available exogenously, no breakdown of hard earned muscle tissue is needed…or at the worst, very minimal amount of muscle is broken down.

So both training AND being sick has these things in common. If Plazma works as indicated for training, then logic dictates that it must also do the same during the illness. Plazma is superior to MAG-10 in this regard because during illness the body needs the energy to do the manufacturing and to fight. MAG-10 would only provide the amino substrate…the body would have to get energy from somewhere, and preferably energy that is quick and easy to use. The quick and easy comes from carbs OR aminos from muscle. Sadly, I think ones fat stores are the LAST choice for the body to use to fuel the war against the illness.

I think eating food normally or taking simple protein drinks (yes, even Metabolic Drive) simply doesn’t load the blood with fast aminos enough to prevent the body from needing to breakdown muscle tissue. I think only something like Plazma or MAG-10 or other casein hydrolosate can do this.

One thing that I think I did wrong though is that I am struggling with my logic for using Micro-PA during illness. Micro-PA is great for training WITH Plazma because you are trying to use the aminos and carbs to BUILD. The aminos are the substrate (the leucine used to stimuate mTOR just like Micro-PA), the carbs are the energy and insulin raiser (i.e. the anti-catabolic).

But during illness, the idea is NOT to use the aminos for any type of building of muscle but building of anti-bodies. I don’t think m-PA aids in building anti-bodies…but again, I might be wrong.

So, if Micro-PA stimulated muscle building, then essentially I was sifting some of the aminos from the Plazma and MAG-10 “meals” away from using the substrate to fight the illness. In the end, it wasn’t bad, but this makes me wonder if I was doing the right thing or not.

Everyone by now knows I used to be an anabolic user way back…and one of my brilliant ideas (sarcasm here) based on some hair brained logic was to use anabolics while I was sick to “hold onto muscle”. Unfortunately, I think the anabolics did what they were supposed to do, but somehow I remained sick for awhile longer. Methinks the anabolics were doing just what I surmised with Micro-PA: shuttling what nutrition I was taking in to muscle and not enough to fighting the illness. I do believe there are some studies that indicate exogenous hormones during illness do indeed lower immune response a bit…but maybe that is my faulty recall as well.
[/quote]

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

I can see the logic you followed & should i get sick again I’ll def give the Plazma & MAG-10 combo a shot. For as much as Micro PA cost i don’t think I would take it if i was sick either. Save the goodness for when I can train & eat optimally.

Buffd, I had the exact same experience 2 weeks ago when everyone in my house had the stomach flu. My diet was 90% Plazma and MAG-10 for 48hrs solid ( with a FINiBAR or two when I could stand it). I arose from the illness no worse for the wear and leaner. But I’m not surprised, MAG-10 saved my physique during three months of chemotherapy.

[quote]Hip Scar wrote:
Buffd, I had the exact same experience 2 weeks ago when everyone in my house had the stomach flu. My diet was 90% Plazma and MAG-10 for 48hrs solid ( with a FINiBAR or two when I could stand it). I arose from the illness no worse for the wear and leaner. But I’m not surprised, MAG-10 saved my physique during three months of chemotherapy.[/quote]

You know…I think subconciously your triumphant and inspiring account of your experience in your log triggered my thought of using these products while I was ill. Thanks for sharing that awhile ago and I hope as I write this that you continue to thrive in excellent health.

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:
The flu bug has attacked my work team mates with a vengeance recently; I’ve had my poor folks out for over a week with fever, sinus/throat/respiratory ailments, etc. The fury of this bug has been amazing.

All this time, I have been able to avoid getting this bug. Alas, while under quite a bit of work related stress this past month, the bug got me really bad. I got all the horrible symptoms mentioned above. It lasted 3 straight days.

But that’s the important note: it only lasted 3 days…EVERYONE else has been out for over a week and returned looking pretty sallow, weak, and drained.

Thank you for not only sharing but being bold enough to try this while battling the flu! awesome info

Like everyone else, I had NO appetite whatsoever during the bout. I’ve been sick like this before (not often), and my previous nutritional remedy was plenty of good food (that I had to choke down with the poor appetite) and plenty of protein drinks. In the end though, in those days my valiant attempt to feed my body was met with no-appetite beating me and relegating me to simple protein drinks. I would lose quite a bit of weight due to lack of nutrients with my body scavenging aminos from my muscle tissue to fuel/create what it needed to beat the bug.

Fast forward to my latest sick bout. NO FOOD…simply had ZERO appetite. But what I did take was PLAZMA and MAG-10…tons of it. 5 servings of Plazma spread throughout the day each followed by a serving of MAG-10. 3 of these “meals” had me adding 1 serving of (with one scoup (1/2 serving) of Superfood added)to the MAG-10.

Result:

1. ZERO weight loss. Hell…I “think” my adipose is down and I’m actually “bigger”. After being sick like this? Really?
  2. Able to train hard again on day 5 (took day 4 off even though I felt much better…just to make sure there wouldn’t be the dreaded relapse), with heavier weights and somewhat reduced volume. MASSIVE pump (AMAZING).
  3. No loss of strength…and to think I was bedridden basically for 3 straight days just prior…AMAZING.

No I-3G during this time. I DID take TWO servings of micro-PA however each day followed by a Plazma and MAG-10 “meal”. Spaced out the intakes 6 hours apart (roughly). I DO believe (no proof though) that the micro-PA may have staved off some possible catabolism. If I had some HMB, I probably would have also taken some of that alongside it. Again…for the anti-catabolic effects. ElitePro (7 caps) was religiously used every night.

I am going to really credit the quick availabilty of aminos AND carbs (very important) to my body for constructing the needed anti-bodies and fueling the fight without leaching lean muscle tissue. My previous attempt to feed my body with food and normal protein drinks resulted in not enough nutrients getting into my system in time or in enough concentration to effect lean tissue loss.

Being sick like this is similar to a tough workout on muscle breakdown, so it makes alot of sense the Plazma and MAG-10 helped out so much here. It’s “peri-workout nutrition” for the flu!!

I hope no one gets sick like this. It’s bad. But if you do, based upon my experience here, you don’t have to lose much of your hard earned muscle if you employ a similar approach. [/quote]