Biotest

Plazma for Long Runs

My wife has gotten back into running (former college track and cross athlete). She has been training for 1/2 marathons, so she goes on some long, hard runs through the week. For those runs, I’ve been mixing up a serving of Plazma for her. She typically drinks about 1/2 to 3/4 before the run and finishes the rest on the drive home. At this point the runs are not quite long enough to bring along drinks. I usually mix the single Plazma serving in more water than the label suggests (~900 mL).

I’m wondering a couple of things. Is a single serving of Plazma overkill or perhaps underkill, she’s about 140 lb? Since she currently is splitting the serving pre and post run, would it be better to cut the volume of water down to the label suggestion (500 mL) to be able to finish the whole serving of Plazma before the run?

Also, thanks to T-Nation for the recent price cuts and deals.

[quote]Harley695 wrote:
My wife has gotten back into running (former college track and cross athlete). She has been training for 1/2 marathons, so she goes on some long, hard runs through the week. For those runs, I’ve been mixing up a serving of Plazma for her. She typically drinks about 1/2 to 3/4 before the run and finishes the rest on the drive home. At this point the runs are not quite long enough to bring along drinks. I usually mix the single Plazma serving in more water than the label suggests (~900 mL).

I’m wondering a couple of things. Is a single serving of Plazma overkill or perhaps underkill, she’s about 140 lb? Since she currently is splitting the serving pre and post run, would it be better to cut the volume of water down to the label suggestion (500 mL) to be able to finish the whole serving of Plazma before the run?

Also, thanks to T-Nation for the recent price cuts and deals. [/quote]

CS will certainly give you a more educated, official answer but i’ll give you my 2cents FWIW.

A serving of Plazma is certainly not overkill, i don’t think for the hard training athlete there is such a thing as too much Plazma! For the aspect of performance and recovery its really invaluable.

If taking along something during the run is out of the picture, i’d definitely say its better to get that full dose in 15min prior to the run. To really kick start recovery, on the way home have another full serving of Plazma or a serving of MAG-10. How much is going to be up to her, experiment to see which gives the best recovery, performance, etc

You could always look into the RTD Plazma bottles as the would save some prep time. Or even taking along a Finibar for during the race. But as for you cutting the liquid volume, definitely stay with at least the recommended volumes, Biotest feels they are the minimum of what you should have with more being perfectly fine. So, whatever level feels best for her, go with it as long as its in those parameters.

<a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma does indeed work shockingly well for endurance athletes. In fact, Tim Patterson has designed supplement protocols for ultra runners and elite bicyclists that include Plazma.

A serving is certainly not overkill. Check out this thread and read the replies by myself and Tim Patterson. This will give you some info on what Plazma does for endurance athletes and give you a protocol to draw some ideas from. Now, this would not be your wife’s protocol as it’s for triathlon athletes and ultra runners, but note how Tim arranges the timing to maximize effects: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_supplements_biotest/plazma_and_endurance_athletes

You’re definitely in the right track with pre-loading.

How long is her long run, by the way? I know there are different training strategies where a “long run” may be 6-7 miles or up to 15 (i.e. running over a half so the actual half marathon seems easy.)

Chris and Eazy,

Thanks for the input. Eazy you were spot on with CS’s advice.

I read over the thread and realized I had read it before, and it was probably the reason I suggested Plazma to my wife. I’ll decrease the volume of water so that she can pre-load the whole serving. Also, after reading the thread again, I think I should get her to replace her morning Clif Bar with a FINiBAR. I know a Clif Bar is a joke compared to a FINiBAR. Her runs typically start at 9:00 am and she gets up at ~7:30 am. If she ate a FINiBAR with her morning coffee, around 8:00, would that hour be too long for the FINiBAR to do be effective?

CS - Her long runs are between 7 - 8 miles. Her approach is to increase the number of long runs per week and increasing the intensity of the runs rather than over distance runs.

Your Finibar timing plan sounds perfect. I was about to suggest Finibars, especially for race day. My wife has used them for her 10 mile races. I’d then pass her a serving of Mag-10 about mile 7. But this was before Plazma was available. I’d go with that now.

CS - FINiBARs and Plazma it is. Now I just have to wait for the next T-Nation VIP deal, or next month.

Thanks again for your input.

You bet, Harley695, and please keep us posted on her progress!

So, my wife is regularly using Plazma (typically the RTD) for her training. I think she is thoroughly addicted. She will be competing in the LA Marathon in a couple of weeks. The problem is that we are in Ohio and she is flying to LA. Does anyone know if the RTDs fly well? I want to send her off with several bottles.

My plan for her would be 1 or 2 servings of Plazma before the race (~15 minutes before) along with 1 or 2 Finibars in the morning. I don’t know if there are “drops” where she could leave a serving or two along the way and I don’t know if she will be up for drinking a Plazma during the race. On her longest training runs (18 miles or so), she front-loaded her Plazma and she may not want to deviate from that.

What do you think of the supplement plan? Should I get her to have a serving during the race?

Thanks in advance.

Harley-

She will not be able to carry the RTD’s on the plane per TSA regs, and they may get stolen if packed in checked luggage. As I’ve seen Chris suggest, she could pack a few scoops in a smaller container that complies with TSA regs, or you could mail the RTDs to her hotel ahead of time.

[quote]Harley695 wrote:
So, my wife is regularly using Plazma (typically the RTD) for her training. I think she is thoroughly addicted. She will be competing in the LA Marathon in a couple of weeks. The problem is that we are in Ohio and she is flying to LA. Does anyone know if the RTDs fly well? I want to send her off with several bottles.

My plan for her would be 1 or 2 servings of Plazma before the race (~15 minutes before) along with 1 or 2 Finibars in the morning. I don’t know if there are “drops” where she could leave a serving or two along the way and I don’t know if she will be up for drinking a Plazma during the race. On her longest training runs (18 miles or so), she front-loaded her Plazma and she may not want to deviate from that.

What do you think of the supplement plan? Should I get her to have a serving during the race?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

I believe Biotest ships RTDs by air, so as far as pressure changes etc. they should be fine in checked. However, shipping to the hotel sounds like a more convenient option.

Plan looks good, definitely have her use a pre-load of Plazma, 15 minutes pre-race. And Finibar for “breakfast” day of looks a lot like the plan Tim Patterson set up for our ultra runners. http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_supplements_biotest/plazma_and_endurance_athletes

She is running the race with her brother, who lives in outside of LA. So, we will ship some bottles to his house and go from there.

Thanks for the input.