Biotest

Plazma for Crossfit Training and Competition

Both myself and a couple of clients of mine have been using Plazma for a little over a month now and are BLOWN THE F%&* AWAY by its efficacy!

I’m a hobbyist/journeyman trainer in my spare time and I have a couple of clients who are aspiring competitive crossfitters. I personally have no desire to compete but these guys do and have been training hard to prepare for the upcoming Crossfit Open competition. For the past 8 months or so I have been both coaching them and training with them. It’s been a bit over a month now that we’ve been using Plazma peri-workout and here’s what we’ve found.

1. NO SORENESS! With the first use soreness just disappeared. We’d been training and being sore to some degree nearly every day for many many months and since day 1 of Plazma no one has gotten sore EVER. For us that makes this stuff extremely valuable.

2. No Gassing Out! Before we could find ourselves out of energy at the end of long days of training. Heck, we’d even gas out on some days of shorting training sessions. Not so anymore. We can finish a 90 minute session and as soon as we catch our breath be ready to go another round. Again, pretty freakin’ incredible!

For those two points we’re overwhelmingly grateful to Plazma but have found a couple of glitches we’re hoping you all can help us work around.

The biggest issue is with the sheer volume of liquid that can be sloshing around in our bodies while doing some movements like box jumps or burpees.

Is it ok to really cut back on the ratio of water to Plazma powder? What is the minimum volume of water to mix with each scoop? And would this depend on our current level of hydration or other diet/nutrition factors?

The other issue we have is with having a bit of gas. We find we’ll get the burps from time to time and that can cost precious seconds in a vigorous conditioning work out. Does anyone else have issue with this? Is it possible we’re just gulping it down too carelessly or is this a known effect? Further, is there any way to avoid or mitigate it?

If there are any other crossfitters out there using Plazma please help us and share your protocols and what you find works best for you.

Thanks!

Yes, we have a number of serious CrossFit athletes who are discovering the benefits of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma (and <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/finibar-competition-bar"target=“new”>Finibar.)

The amount of water listed on the labels is a minimal. You can use more, but not less. Otherwise, the concentration is off and you may not get the most out of Plazma. In fact, for the small number of people who get stomach upset, more water fixes the issue. However, there are ways to adjust timing too.

Most people get used to the amount of liquid. One serving 20 minutes before training, plus one or two more during longer workouts gets easy to take it after a while. (I used to get “stuck” at 2 servings, just couldn’t fit in a third, now 3 is no problem.)

Tell you what, ohcaptian13, we have several Plazma usage plans that coach Christian Thibaudeau has written for his top CrossFit competitors. We may publish this as an article some day, but we’re going to sent you an advanced copy via PM (private message, upper right hand corner of the page under your user name.) This will help give you an idea of how best to use Plazma and other supplements for specific types of CrossFit competition.

Wow, thank you very much for this response and for the private message as well!

I will pick up some finibars for myself and my athletes on next order for sure.

One thing I will implement immediately is the advice to drink the dose up to 45 minutes before intense or competition style training. My intuition is that it will help a lot with the sloshing feeling in our bellies and likely leave time to get the burps out too. I suppose I was just worried that it may lose some efficacy being timed so far away from the work outs.

Up until now I’ve been drinking one dose about 15-20 minutes before training and then getting in another dose while warming up and doing some strength or technique work. Oftentimes I’ll be into my 3rd dose, or about 1.2 liters of liquid within 40-45 minutes and then get into the conditioning work.

The PM advice is solid. We’ll put it to practice at a pre-season competition next weekend as well as during the open and report back on our experiences.

Thanks again.

You are very welcome. Keep us posted!

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am very interested in how this protocol works out for you. I am just getting back into the lifting world and have been with a Crossfit gym for the last few months. I have been undecided on what to use to help out with soreness as well as wondering if Indigo-3G3G will help me as a crossfitter as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derrick

Derrick, if you’re looking to build muscle and lose fat, then <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G will certainly help, especially if you’ve had a hard time handling carbs or staying lean in the past. And since it also increases work capacity, it would be great for CrossFit.

That said, taking care of workout nutrition should be a top priority for any lifter or athlete, so look into <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma as well. You can adjust the dose based on the type of workout you’re doing (length etc.) For example, for a short but intense CrossFit WOD, one serving pre-loaded, then one servings during training. If there’s no time for intra-workout nutrition, you could go with a <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/finibar-competition-bar"target=“new”>Finibar about 45 mins before training, then just the pre-load serving of Plazma. <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>Mag-10 post-workout would be ideal. Lots of options really to best fit your needs, goals, and budget.

Let us know more and we’d be glad to design a stack for you or give you a suggested first supplement to start with that’ll give you the most bang for you buck.

I guess you can’t go wrong, but I was under the impression Plazma was best suited for use when lifting specifically for muscle growth, and MAG-10 was best used for conditioning type workouts.

Thank you for the reply Chris.

I would really like your input on what to take and when. Budget is always an issue…wife :slight_smile: however, with that said, I am committed to my training an nutrition. So please feel free to program what you think will work best and I will follow that to a tee.

My overall goal is to try and keep my current size, but of course…be more defined. If I gain a little weight but can also loose some inches in the waist, I am good with that as well.

A little personal info to get you started,

Height: 6’1"
Weight 220
I have hovered at this weight for about 10 years (working out or not) but it seems that when I do workout hard for any length of time, I do not get the definition I am looking for.

As far as my workouts go, my gym does not follow the traditional Crossfit template. Our workouts are typically a good warm up session (mobility and maybe a short run or two) followed by some oly technique work. After this we have our strength portion (usually heavy lifting of 2-3 movements) and then finish up with our WOD.

SO as you can see, I think that there is plenty of time to sip on Plazma before my WOD. I try to workout with a schedule of 3 on and one off, two on and on off. On my off days, I try and do a 2-3 mile walk with a weighted vest on (Weather permitting). Just to keep the blood flowing and help keep my joints lubricated. Getting older sucks!! :slight_smile:

For my nutrition portion…

7am: Breakfast is typically Steel cut oats maybe a little fruit with it as well as a protein shake. Might have a few eggs instead if the protein shake.

11am: Preworkout shake

1:30pm: Postworkout shake

2:30pm: Snack, usually an apple with a handfull of almonds

6:00pm Dinner, protein with a starchy carb…brown rice or sweet potato and maybe a salad.

Now that I write that out, it might look a little low as far a calories…

I hope that helps and if you need anymore info, please let me know. And again, Thank you!! I really appreciate your input.

Regards,

-Derrick

[quote]Royler wrote:
I guess you can’t go wrong, but I was under the impression Plazma was best suited for use when lifting specifically for muscle growth, and MAG-10 was best used for conditioning type workouts.[/quote]

We’ve actually successfully tested Plazma on ultra-marathon runners. But it’s true: for a short conditioning-only session, Mag-10 may be all a person needs. See my article here: http://www.t-nation.com/training/predator-conditioning

Growing older? Nope, we’re the same age, which means we can stop counting!

Your CrossFit workouts sound much better than simply doing the daily WOD. Must be a good CF box! Good for them.

Supplements: Here’s a simple plan that would fit your needs: About 45 minutes before your workout, take your Indigo-3G. About 15 minutes prior to training, drink one serving of Plazma. During training, drink one or two more servings, depending on the intensity/length of the workout. One hour after training, have one serving of Mag-10.

That’s a very effective, standard protocol for those who train hard. This article gets into the nitty-gritty details: http://www.t-nation.com/supplements/what-you-dont-know-about-workout-supplementation

Your diet looks fine, but yes, maybe a little too low in calories, but workout nutrition will help there. And Plazma would replace any pre and post-workout protein shake.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]Royler wrote:
I guess you can’t go wrong, but I was under the impression Plazma was best suited for use when lifting specifically for muscle growth, and MAG-10 was best used for conditioning type workouts.[/quote]

We’ve actually successfully tested Plazma on ultra-marathon runners. But it’s true: for a short conditioning-only session, MAG-10 may be all a person needs. See my article here: http://www.T-Nation.com/training/predator-conditioning[/quote]

Here you’re suggesting that MAG-10 may be all one needs for RECOVERY after a short conditioning session, yeah?

I can tell you from a decent sample size of work outs that, to me, Plazma still seems to aid in performance for short conditioning crossfit wods. I imagine that’s in part due to making up for a less than perfect diet but also due to some lactic acid buffering during the work out. I definitely “feel less burn” when pushing through some wods where my legs or shoulders would typically burn like hell.

My personal rule is: Mag-10 for pure conditioning/cardio, Plazma for any heavy lifting or bodybuilder-style lifting. Of course, if a conditioning session is longer than 20 or 30 minutes or so and using a lot of lifting, a smaller or single dose of Plazma sipped before and during would be great too.

Tell you what, ohcaptian13, we have several Plazma usage plans that coach Christian Thibaudeau has written for his top CrossFit competitors. We may publish this as an article some day, but we’re going to sent you an advanced copy via PM (private message, upper right hand corner of the page under your user name.) This will help give you an idea of how best to use Plazma and other supplements for specific types of CrossFit competition. [/quote]
Plazma usage plan, hmm I would love to take a gander at that considering I’ve been doing some crossfit-style conditioning lately.

He should release an article on how he likes to design training for his crossfit competitors, because I know for sure I would use the hell out of it. A lot of the crossfit websites I check out are too “crossfit-esque” and not enough “Thibaudeau-esque”.

Yes I would definitely like to see this.

I’ve been using Plazma and MAG-10 with my crossfit programming for a while now.

My normal schedule is 2hr training sessions 2-3x a week (strength / oly component + addtl strength/skill work + metcon). These are best ones for taking 2-3 doses of Plazma. 1/2 to 1 full dose 15 minutes prior, and the remaining during the first hour or so of training. I try to make sure that it’s gone before the metcon - unless it’s a interval or emom, where there are rests involved.

Then, I do some shorter sessions (20-30 minutes) with just interval training or conditioning, and I basically use the following set up to decide whether I’m going with MAG-10 or Plazma. Heavy weight involved - Plazma pre-load only. Sprint/Bodyweight movements (ie. box jumps, ring work, etc), I’ll usually use MAG-10 before and during.

Helps with recovery. If your training sessions are anything like the competition programing, it’s necessary. I’ve used it for a few competitions, and it’s effective, but the biggest thing is: you’re accustomed to using during your training sessions, so going a whole day with Plazma and MAG-10 during the competition is easy.

Tell you what, ohcaptian13, we have several Plazma usage plans that coach Christian Thibaudeau has written for his top CrossFit competitors. We may publish this as an article some day, but we’re going to sent you an advanced copy via PM (private message, upper right hand corner of the page under your user name.) This will help give you an idea of how best to use Plazma and other supplements for specific types of CrossFit competition. [/quote]

I’m interested too.

Interesting topic gentlemen.

Im wondering how Plazma and MAG-10 could be used for a soccer player?
I train 3-4 times on the field but only 1-2 session’s of hard conditioning (usually first thing in the morning), one game a week, and 2-3 sessions in the gym (WS4SB). My goals are to keep my body fat levels low, maintain/increase strength, and of course to be able to last 90 minutes on the field.

Im considering getting Plazma/MAG-10 for game day, hard conditioning sessions and maybe for gym work as well. How would I do this?

*tweet *

[quote]theBird wrote:
Interesting topic gentlemen.

Im wondering how Plazma and MAG-10 could be used for a soccer player?
I train 3-4 times on the field but only 1-2 session’s of hard conditioning (usually first thing in the morning), one game a week, and 2-3 sessions in the gym (WS4SB). My goals are to keep my body fat levels low, maintain/increase strength, and of course to be able to last 90 minutes on the field.

Im considering getting Plazma/MAG-10 for game day, hard conditioning sessions and maybe for gym work as well. How would I do this?

*tweet *[/quote]

Pre-load one serving of Plazma before the game or tough training session. Have 1-2 more during, then a pulse of Mag-10 after.

Pre-load one serving of Plazma before the game or tough training session. Have 1-2 more during, then a pulse of MAG-10 after.
[/quote]
Thanks Chris!

How much longer after should I pulse with MAG-10??

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

Pre-load one serving of Plazma before the game or tough training session. Have 1-2 more during, then a pulse of MAG-10 after.
[/quote]
Thanks Chris!

How much longer after should I pulse with MAG-10??

tweet[/quote]

With training and assuming intra-workout nutrition is used during the workout (Plazma), then most people wait about an hour after finishing the intra-Plazma. But with sport, there’s some leeway there. Almost any time is a good time for a pulse of Mag-10, and it’s hard to mess it up. So, just go by feel. Don’t wait a full hour if you’re just plain ol’ thirsty and want it right away.