Biotest

Plan for Morning Workouts?

Hi Chris,

What do you typically recommend for someone that wants to get their workout in first thing in the morning? I’ve always been an evening kinda guy, but I’m thinking that I may have to switch to mornings at some point due to other demands.

I’m also getting tired of always eating supper at 930 at night. Is the best approach to just have Plazma during the workout and a solid meal afterwards, or do you recommend something solid beforehand? I don’t see how there would be enough time to have anything beforehand and have it digest in time to utilize Plazma during the workout.

Thanks

That’s always a tough dilemma, but it’s easily solved these days with good workout nutrition, so you’ve got the right idea.

We’d suggest a pre-load serving of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma about 15 minutes before your workout. (If you want coffee or something upon waking, that’s fine.) During training, have 1 or 2 more doses of Plazma, depending on how tough or how long the workout is.

After you can have a pulse of Mag-10 or you may just be ready for a solid meal by then.

Another option could be a <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/finibar-competition-bar"target=“new”>Finibar upon waking if you have enough time, then a serving of Plazma on the way to the gym. I personally prefer a Finibar an hour before training, but 30-45 mins will do the trick too. If that doesn’t fit your schedule, then Plazma pre-loaded will be perfect. And if it’s more convenient than a regular meal, Finibar is darn good for post-training as well, though we don’t talk about that much.

What do you think about not even having a solid meal until lunch time? Skipping the solid meal after would definitely be easier as I wouldn’t have to get up as early, but it’s probably not optimal. So Plazma pre/during, MAG-10+Finibar post workout, mid-morning pulse, then lunch. I would hate to skip bfast though as it’s my favorite meal. I find it’s the easiest meal to get in quality food since there’s little guesswork or prep involved (eggs and oatmeal). I guess it’s a tradeoff (more sleep + convenience vs. a quality post-workout bfast)

What are your thoughts?

If you’re taking care of workout nutrition, pre-, during, and post-training, you’re “covered” and firing on all cylinders when it comes to reaching your training goals. So your first plan – Plazma load, Plazma during, Mag-10/Finibar post – has you more than covered. Easy, convenient, and no “thinking” involved… just becomes part of an efficient routine to get what you want.

But I totally get what you mean about breakfast. I just like breakfast food and it’s easy to whip up.

I’d always suggest erring on the side of getting enough sleep and getting peri-workout dialed in though. Then do what I often do: breakfast foods for dinner!

Hah that actually crossed my mind and is probably what will end up happening. Nothing wrong with that! An excuse to eat bfast for dinner is always welcome.

Thanks for your input.