Biotest

Peri-Workout Questions

Some questions I’ve been trying to figure out and I’m sure have been asked before:

1- Is MAG-10 in Anaconda? Is Anaconda in MAG-10? Is finkel einhorn? And einhorn is finkel?

2- Did I finally see the day that carbs became more important than protein? I bet marathoners worldwide are jumping for joy. I mean really, now all I hear about is 100g carbs during peri-workout? Maybe I am so brainwashed by the old thinking of “small amount of food before, and then huge amounts of carbs and protein aferward”.

3- So in this new way of looking at nutrition, is the “insulin spike” that we used to fulfill post-workout by consuming roughly 50-75g carbs and 50g protein no longer necessary? Is insulin already spiked during the workout and thus, only protein need be consumed post training?

4- I mean, I read Anaconda’s label, and it’s almost identical to both MAG-10 and Surge Workout Fuel (minus the protein in this). Thoughts??

5- Look, in a perfect world, I would hook myself up to an IV of Plazma, take Indigo-3G, try to make myself sick off of MAG-10, and eat Finibars for dessert. But its not perfect. I am on a budget. In the past month I have bought a house and gotten married so funds are very tight.

I guess in the grand scheme of things, I am trying to get the most bang for my buck. I LOVE the convenience of the Metabolic Drive shakes during the day while at work. I like Indigo-3G (2 weeks in now) but would be willing to sacrifice it if there’s a better option for me.

Right now, I’m contemplating a Finibar and 1 scoop Anaconda pre workout and either MAG-10 or Surge Recovery post workout. That gives me roughly 70 grams of carbs. MAG-10 really intrigues me though. I mean, I look at the Anaconda protocol.

There’s not a great deal of protein in that shake, compared to the carbs. And then there’s not real post workout shake, just dinner as usual an hour later. Maybe my thinking needs to change, or my salary needs to dramatically increase.

6- On the notion of pre workout nutrition, I’ve seen many people say they load up on Finibars, Plazma, Anaconda, etc before every workout EXCEPT when they have squat or deadlift day due to not wanting to throw up. Isn’t this when you’d need it the most??

So what, you just load up post-workout instead? Then we are right back at square one, showing the “old school” method of workout nutrition.

Some of our workout supplements share common ingredients. The most advanced of these is <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma"target=“new”>Plazma. Before this formula was created, some of our previous training programs required you to mix two or three different supplements. Plazma makes all this unnecessary. The right ingredients in the right ratio for the most serious lifters and athletes. Think of Anaconda as an upgrade to the Surge products, and think of Plazma as the culmination of all of them. Plazma can be still be customized for your needs simply by changing the amounts used. Many get great results from just two servings for the session, though most use three.

Post-workout nutrition is important, but we now know that peri-workout (just before and during as well as after) is even more important. In plain language, lifting and competition drives blood into the muscle. What’s “in” this blood can dramatically affect workout performance, recovery, and gains. In short, once people take care of peri-workout nutrition with Plazma, they don’t want to go back to only “old technology” post-workout nutrition.

The most advanced workout nutrition protocol a person can use now is a serving Plazma pre-loaded 15 minutes before training, one or two more servings during training, and a pulse of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>Mag-10 for post-workout. The product pages at the <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/"target=“new”>Biotest Store get more into the details and science, and include info on the specialized carbs and proteins used in our latest workout supplements.

For example, the protein in Mag-10 is comprised of a unique di- and tripeptide complex that’s transported ? unaltered, requiring no further breakdown ? directly into the bloodstream. And the particular di-/tripeptide mixture found in Mag-10 produces effects in muscle that go far beyond simple amino acids from other protein sources.

Peptide structures ? growth hormone and insulin being examples ? have biological activities beyond regular amino acids. The peptide structures in Mag-10 also have biological activities above and beyond regular amino acids, making it a totally different animal. In fact, only 20 grams of protein from Mag-10 stimulates protein synthesis, as well as other muscle building and recovery effects, to a far greater degree than what you would get from 100s of grams of conventional protein. So with these specialized ingredients, you can’t simply think in terms of “a gram of protein is a gram of protein.”

Same for carbs. Mag-10 and Plazma contain nutrient-partitioning functional carbohydrates (highly branched cyclic dextrin)
that increase metabolic rate, among other things. They can’t really be compared gram for gram to older workout formulas and solid-food carbs.

All of these are designed for easy digestion and assimilation to be used during training, and we’ve honestly never heard of someone having trouble with them, unless they just can’t take drinking adequate fluids. But of course there always an outlier or two. So of course you’d want to use these workout drinks especially during your toughest training sessions.

We do not suggest you drop Indigo-3G. Along with its other benefits, it helps to drive workout nutrition deep into muscles. It’s a synergistic effect.

For your budget, first consider auto-ship on your Indigo-3G if you’re not already on it. Call 800-525-1940 for info. That’s $69 per bottle instead of $95. Also look into the stacks, such as the <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/packages/plazma-super-stack"target=“new”>Plazma Super Stack or the <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/plazma-reactive-pump-stack"target=“new”>Plazma Reactive Pump Stack.

If those don’t fit the budget, we’d suggest Indigo-3G, Anaconda for training, with the option of Mag-10 for post-training. Our multi-unit discounts for Mag-10 should help you out there.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Chris. Everything you said makes sense and I get it. I’m no newbie to the game, and like I said, I wish I had more money to spend each month. I guess I’m just trying to wrap my head around this new way of looking at nutrition.

For so long we always heard of the “insulin spike” post workout to shuttle nutrients into the muscle. From the looks of the way things are headed, that same thinking still applies but instead of waiting until post workout, we are trying to shuttle nutrients into the muscle while it is being worked. Makes sense.

So with a protocol like FINiBAR and Plazma pre and during, the necessity for a recovery shake (e.g. Surge recovery) isn’t necessary since glycogen levels have been getting replenished throughout the workout. Is that correct??

We suggest a pulse or two of Mag-10 post-training, but basically yes, taking care of pre- and intra-workout nutrition makes specialized post-workout-only drinks obsolete.