Biotest

Paul 222's V-Diet

Starting the V-Diet today.
46 years old, and I’m having to try all sorts of things to fit into my pants. I can’t tell where my chin is anymore, and I’m tired of looking like an Asian frog.
20 years ago I was force-feeding myself to gain weight, and it seems to have worked. I’ve gotten up to 210 lbs with the following measurements:

Neck - 17
Shoulders - 50
Chest - 44
Hips - 39
Upper arm - 14
Thigh - 24
Calf - 17
Waist - 40, 42, 40

I’ll be following the diet and doing the intermediate workouts. I haven’t been as consistent in the weight room as I wish I was, and my eating patterns need some serious attention.

Started today with 2 scoops of vanilla Metabolic Drive along with collagen and inulin and Superfood. Also green tea to help tide me over. Will be having my lunch time and mid-afternoon shakes, plus Plazma during my workout, and Flameout with each meal.

I’m fortunate enough that I can eat the same thing without getting sick of it, but this diet is going to put that to the test. I plan on eating 8 ounces of lean steak along with broccoli and rice or a baked potato on my training days, and chicken thighs ( can’t stand white meat) and broccoli on non-training days.

Knowing myself, I’m going to have to buckle down and really force myself to stick with it. Taking it one day at a time (and maybe even one shake at a time).

The hard part is the fact that I coach high school, and we have games twice a week, which throws my schedule off a bit. Plus the fact that on game days, the coaches all get together for lunch. So that will also be a test for me, but I look forward to the challenge.

IMG_20180204_101601IMG_20180204_101621IMG_20180204_101639

Day 1 is down, and wasn’t bad at all. Same plan as yesterday, but dinner tonight will consist of chicken breast, rice, and broccoli. I didn’t think that I would want the bedtime shake last night as I ate dinner at 8 pm, but in a couple of hours, my stomach was rumbling a bit.
My calorie count yesterday was 2,064. My baked potato was 16 ounces, and that put me over a bit.
Looking at today’s plan, I will be taking in 15,000 calories.

You could always bust their chops about how you’ll be lean and mean in a month and they’ll still just be… them. :wink:

Was this an intentional typo just to see if anyone would talk you down off the ledge? Ha.

Good call on the green tea to help with appetite. Just be sure to avoid any calorie-containing add-ins (like honey or whatever).

If this is for consistency, go for it. Just don’t feel like you’re trapped into only eating this stuff. You can color within the lines and still use the whole box of crayons. (That made more sense in my head.) Basically, having a little variety as long as you stick to the game plan is totally fine.

The HSMs are a chance to develop the eating habits we’re “supposed to” be sticking with for long-term progress. Any good variation of “lean meat, veg, clean carb” will work.

Whoops, good catch Chris. 1,500 calories.

As far as what I’m eating for my HSM, it’s easy, convenient, and I like it. So I don’t feel trapped into only eating that stuff. I’ll be adding in spinach as well as I move on.
Lunch with my co-workers was no problem, I had my green tea and was quite content. I don’t really add anything to it, so no worries there.

I am going to experiment with white rice as described here: https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-eat-rice-without-getting-fat
My only concern is that it will mess up my calorie count. Should I just double the size of the serving for the same number of calories?

Anyways, on to today:
Breakfast shake with superfood and green tea.
Our games got postponed to tonight, so my schedule is a bit off. I’ll be working out in the middle of the day, so there’s the plazma, then I’ll be having my lunch shake directly after.
Mid-afternoon shake as school ends, then HSM sometime in between games. Got it all packed and ready to go.
Then the bedtime shake with Elitepro minerals.
Hunger pangs aren’t really an issue, just more of an annoyance. And not even really an annoyance, I’m just … aware of them.

So day 4, and a few things to work around.
Last night was hectic, so I wound up eating only about half of my HSM, and I’m feeling it today. Stomach rumbling all morning.
Wondering if it’s possible to throw in another shake at that point, and then eat the HSM later, when I have time to sit down and eat.

The easiest way to handle it is to keep the serving size the same as you’d otherwise have and just figure “a little less” calories (nevermind the coconut oil, which is basically negligible since it’s added to the entire pot). Based on the article, you could probably shave 10% off the number and be somewhat accurate. Definitely don’t double the portion, as that would swing things way too far in the other direction.

Yep. An unscheduled one-scoop shake is a great emergency-type “not sure if I should, but it’s better than starting an appetite snowball” solution.

Thanks for the help Chris.
Two more days in, and I’m settling in. Hunger pangs tend to be slightly worse in the afternoon, so I’ll be adding in more green tea.
I’m able to consistently come in close to my daily calorie goals, if I do miss, it’s by a couple hundred under. Trying to find baked potatoes of a consistent size is a little tough.

Through the first week.
Oddly enough, I’ve found the walking to be the most challenging part of the system so far.
Here’s my stats from this morning:
Neck - 17
Shoulders - 47
Chest - 43
Hips - 38.5
Upper arm - 14.5
Thigh - 23.5
Calf - 16.5
Waist - 40, 40.5, 39.5

So I’m losing some size. Around the waist, I can live with. Not so enthused about losing it around my shoulders and legs, but I have to keep reminding myself that not all size is good.
IMG_20180212_063348IMG_20180212_063341IMG_20180212_063330

Quite honestly don’t see any difference in the photos, but the tape doesn’t lie.

Very much this. And it’s why measuring everything is important.

I think part of the picture issue is the funky/cutoff poses, but, dude…

You’re 100% on track. Keep doing what you’re doing.

(I can take that pic down if you want. Just wanted to show you you’re for sure making progress.)

No worries Chris, I put them up for a reason.
Yeah, the front pics cut off a bit high when posted, but not when I view them on my phone.

Also weighed in at 207 lbs.
One thing I was curious about when reading across several diets was the recommendation of Green tea. Why that specific tea? There are a number of other teas out there that are supposed to have fat reducing properties, such as Rooibos or white tea. What is it about green tea that makes it special?

Been reading in some of the other V-diet logs, and CDMac24’s made me realize how my approach was bringing shame upon my family;)
So since I can’t edit previous posts, I’ll make additions.
yesterday:
Breakfast was a shake with collagen and fiber added in, plus Flameout. 258 kcals
Sipped on green tea throughout the morning
Lunch was shake with flameout. 233 Kcals
Plazma with workout 420 kcals
midafternoon shake with flameout 233 kcals
Dinner: Grass fed NY strip 8 oz 390 kcals
1 bag steamed spinach 20 kcals
12 oz baked potato 249 kcals
Flameout 13 kcals
Bedtime shake and flameout 233 kcals

2,024 kcals total during the day.
30 minutes of walking on the treadmill at 3.5 mph at a 2% incline

Day 8: Feb 13, 2018
Breakfast: shake with collagen and fiber added in, plus Flameout. 258 kcals

This is where things got a little wonky. It was game day, and I had multiple meetings, so I wasn’t able to get my NEPA walk in, or eat my HSM until 10:30, at which point I went to bed, so I didn’t have my bedtime shake, either.
Dinner was a 10 oz chicken breast 425 kcal
spinach 20 kcal
rice 160 kcal
Flameout 13kcal
Total calories 618 kcal

Total calories for the day: 1,342. Not ideal and I will be feeling it today, probably.

Day 9: Feb 14th
Plazma with workout 420 kcals
Dinner: Grass fed sirloin 8 oz 390 kcals
1 bag steamed spinach 20 kcals
10 oz baked potato 208 kcals
Flameout 13 kcals

Got home late from practice, so I didn’t eat my HSM until 10 pm, after which I went to bed. So once again, I missed out on my bedtime shake so my total calories for the day were 1,828.

Hunger pangs come and go with no specific time anymore. Once I feel them, I have some green tea to help alleviate them.
At the risk of tempting fate, I’ll make this observation: On my way home last night, my stomach was rumbling and I was really looking forward to my dinner. A couple of weeks ago, I would have been fixated on the closest fast food restaurant, but instead I stopped at the grocery store, bought my steak, potato, and spinach, then headed home and waited an additional 45 minutes to bake the potato. So the idea that the V-diet helps retrain you when it comes to eating patterns is pretty spot on.
I have attended some shooting schools with some big name trainers, and made the observation that I never actually became a better shooter at any of those schools. What happened was that I learned the skills I needed to practice that would make me a better shooter.
And I think that’s really what the V-diet does: It teaches specific eating habits that help keep you lean over the long term. Just like you don’t become a better shooter by shooting 1,000 rounds in two days, but by shooting 1,000 rounds over 6 months, you don’t stay lean because you did the V-diet over 28 days. That may kick-start you in the right direction, but it’s the eating habits that you learn over the course of the 28 days that will make you lean for life.

Now I say this with some trepidation. Because the last time I was on a low-carb diet, about 3 weeks into it my car drove itself to Krispy Kreme without me even being aware it was happening. I awoke from a sugar induced coma hours later with creme filling in my hair and powdered sugar in a ring around my mouth. Those urges haven’t struck, and I’m going to have to knuckle down if they do.

Day 10: Feb 15th
Got the routine down during the day:
NEPA walk on treadmill for 30 minutes at 2% incline at 3.5 mph
Dinner was a 8 oz chicken breast 340 kcal
spinach 20 kcal
rice 160 kcal
Flameout 13kcal
Total calories 533 kcal
Also managed to get in my bedtime shake

Total for the day: 1,490 kcal

I had remarked earlier this week that the tape doesn’t lie. Well neither does my belt. I’ve taken it in another notch to keep my pants up, even though I’m not seeing a change in the mirror.

Day 11: Feb 16th
Today was all over the place. Wound up hosting some games so my entire schedule was thrown off. Didn’t lift, didn’t walk. So that changed my calories for the day.
Dinner was a 7 oz grass fed sirloin 368 kcal
spinach 20 kcal
baked potato, 6 oz 125 kcal
Flameout 13kcal
Total calories 526 kcal

Total calories for the day: 1,483

Day 12: Feb 17th
Walked for 30 minutes, first thing in the morning.

Here’s where the whole “retraining your eating habits” kicked in.
Joined a friend for dinner at a local Buffalo wings establishment. Wings are near and dear to my heart, one of my favorite indulgences. I checked the nutritional value before we went, and ordered the right number to keep me below my calorie allotment. Not exactly a “healthy solid meal”, but it was interesting to note that while my buddies were chowing down and throwing back beers, I was just fine with my water and 10 wings.
Dinner: 10 chicken wings 520 kcals
6 oz of carrots 70 kcals

Total calories for the day: 1,547

Day 13: Feb 18th
Woke up feeling a little under the weather, so I didn’t do any exercising today.
Dinner was a 10 oz chicken breast 425 kcal
spinach 20 kcal
rice 160 kcal
Flameout 13kcal
Total calories 618 kcal

Total for the day: 1,575 kcal

Why my pictures keep cutting off, I’ve no idea.
But once again, the tape doesn’t lie.
Here’s my stats from this morning:
Neck - 17
Shoulders - 47.5
Chest - 43
Hips - 38.5
Upper arm - 14.5
Thigh - 24
Calf - 16.5
Waist - 38.5, 39, 38.5
IMG_20180219_071446%20(1)IMG_20180219_071250IMG_20180219_071434

Forgot to add, my weight is at 204.