Biotest

Paleo Solution Review

Hey Chris,
I was wondering if you have written a book review anywhere on this site. I’d really like to hear your take on it.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Hey Chris,
I was wondering if you have written a book review anywhere on this site. I’d really like to hear your take on it.[/quote]

I haven’t, but here’s my 10 second review:

Damn good info. Fun read too. Not boring.

But it needed an editor. Needed to have been greatly tightened. Could have lost 25 pages easily without losing any good info.

But I’m a samurai editor, so take that with a grain of salt.

It’s worth picking up and worth a read though, even if you’re not a “paleo” guy, which I’m not. I’m like 89.2% paleo. (Take my Splenda and I’ll smack you over the head with my club.)

I definitely see where you’re coming from as far as editing. I’ve spent most of the year flirting with paleo, and reading through the book has really convinced me to give it a full shot this year. I’m having a tough time getting my girlfriend motivated to do it. Honestly, she thought his meal plan was rather dull. So I exposed her to all of your recipes and now she’s on board! (at least for, ya know, 89.2% paleo)

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
I definitely see where you’re coming from as far as editing. I’ve spent most of the year flirting with paleo, and reading through the book has really convinced me to give it a full shot this year. I’m having a tough time getting my girlfriend motivated to do it. Honestly, she thought his meal plan was rather dull. So I exposed her to all of your recipes and now she’s on board! (at least for, ya know, 89.2% paleo)[/quote]

There’s no doubt, if America went paleo there would be no obesity problem. I like Splenda, protein shakes/bars, peri-workout supplements, and I don’t fret too much over beans (I reduce them though). I’ll take a roasted ear of corn at a cookout too if offered.

But the paleo crowd has it right for most solid foods, and their carb count naturally falls within my 100 Gram Carb Cure plan. I do think they’re on track when it comes to grains, though the main issue is cereal flour and sugar, not so much oatmeal and rice. I don’t eat those myself, but in the big picture it’s bread and cereal, not Quaker Oats, that’s causing most people’s problem.

Glad your GF is coming around though, and I’m glad to hear my recipes are helping.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
There’s no doubt, if America went paleo there would be no obesity problem. [/quote]
If America went paleo, our economy would change overnight and pharmaceutical companies would be declaring bankruptcy left and right! See…these are the kind of things I dream about.

Unfortunately, I will always be the one who has to defend MY way of eating whenever I visit my family for the holidays or step foot in a doctor’s office. Every. Single. Time. Saddest part is, my older sister, who has her DPT, and spent 6 years studying this stuff gives me the most heat for all the “health problems” I’m bound to encounter for giving up grains and dairy and for taking 4g of fish oil/day. Any advice for dealing with such resistance from your loved ones, while having a positive influence?

Thanks for all the replies.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

Any advice for dealing with such resistance from your loved ones, while having a positive influence?
[/quote]

Probably the toughest question ever to answer. Food and nutrition philosophy is like religion to most people. Getting them to change on their own is like trying to get a Muslim to embrace Jesus… over lunch.

Sometimes you just have to do what you do and be the example – be the product of what you preach.

The other option is a little more in-your-face, but done politely it works. After they give their spiel you say, “How’s that working for you?”

Works very well if they have diet-caused health issues or they’re fat! Oh, they’ll still argue and deny, but they’ll start thinking. That’s a powerful seed to plant.