Biotest

Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal

I love steel-cut oats, but they’re not something you make on a whim. They don’t microwave well and cook time on the stove can take a while. The solution: get a slow cooker (Crock Pot.)

What you’re going to do is put all the ingredients in the slow cooker at night. Slow cook it all night and when you wake up breakfast is hot and ready.

I suggest a slow cooker with a timer. You’ll set it for about 7 hours, then the cooker will flip over to warm mode when it’s ready.

Ingredients

1 cup steel cut oats

3 cups water

cinnamon to taste, or nutmeg, clove, apple pie spice, whatever you like

1 banana – mashed – or bag of frozen fruit of choice. Peaches are great.

nonstick cooking spray (I use coconut oil)

1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)

dash of salt (optional)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

Directions

Spray the inside of your slow cooker with coconut oil then add all other ingredients. Stir.

Cook on low for 7 hours.

In the morning, give it another stir, add a little almond milk if you’d like, and enjoy. I have mine with a big <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/metabolic-drive-low-carb"target=“new”>Metabolic Drive shake.

Diet/Recipe Staples?

A great addition is a hit or two of some fruit about 10 minutes prior to eating! ( outside of the banana if you want variety )

Good tip. I may ditch the banana and use apple next time too, then apple pie spice blend.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Good tip. I may ditch the banana and use apple next time too, then apple pie spice blend. [/quote]

Apples, Raisins, cinnamon, vanilla = awesome.

I’ve often wondered about taking steel cut oats, cooking them like this ( say maybe 4 hours on low ), dropping them into a baking dish and then baking at 400 for 10-20 to make oatmeal bars.

This is a great idea, CS! I’m gonna try it with prunes.

Could you use the almond (any nut) milk instead of the water so the oats soak it up while cooking?

Dan, some slow cooker recipes call for milk or cream, so I assume almond milk would work too.

I made this last night, CS. I cooked it on low overnight but the edges burnt a lot in my slow cooker (maybe because of the peanut butter?) and I used extra water. It tastes pretty good, but too vanilla-y. If I had some PB2 right now, I’d add a lot of that in to make it much more peanut buttery. Thanks for the suggestion, CS!

1c steel-cut oats
3c water
1c almond/cashew/hazelnut unsweetened milk
vanilla extract (cap feel off while I was adding it in and a bunch went in)
dash of pumpkin pie spice
2T flaxseed meal
3T natural peanut butter
3 packets of Sweet N Low

Did you give the slow cooker a spray with oil before adding ingredients? I use coconut oil for this. Reduces burning, but I had a few bits stuck inside too. Also, try setting timer for 30 minutes less.

You could also stir in the nut butter at the end of cooking.

nooooo. haha, I missed that step. To be honest I barely read the instructions (insert joke about men and directions). I’m an idiot.

What brand of steel cut oats ? Or any would do ?

[quote]frpm00 wrote:
What brand of steel cut oats ? Or any would do ?[/quote]

Any brand is fine. I haven’t seen certified steel-cut oats, but I’d go with those if you see them. Not a big deal though. All oatmeal is naturally gluten free, but there can be some cross-cotaminatuion with wheat if it’s not officially gluten-free certified.

Not sure if they have a Kroger or King soopers near you Frpm but they have some in the organic section for $1.99 a lb, way cheaper then the quaker oats brand. Think it was called Manna steel cut.

I usually cook my oatmeal using a preparation method out of “Nourishing Traditions”. I soak the oats in water with a bit of buttermilk for anywhere from 7 to 24 hours. Once they are soaked, I put them in a pot with some salt and a bit more water, they cook up in 5-10 minutes, then I put them in the fridge to cool. Whenever I want some oatmeal, I just carve off a chunk into a bowl and reheat it with whatever additions I feel like. Usually a bit of almond milk and some protein powder, and a chunk of butter on top. Tastes fantastic, and a bit healthier version in my opinion, thanks to the enzyme reaction of buttermilk and the oats.

The label of a can I have say as an easy cooking way, bring to boil for 1 minute then cover and fridge overnight. Cooked perfectly when reheated in the morning. I like to eat mine with cottage cheese.

Is adding protein powder into a slow cooker recipe a good idea?

[quote]Mizery wrote:
Is adding protein powder into a slow cooker recipe a good idea? [/quote]

It’s best to add it in after cooking.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]Mizery wrote:
Is adding protein powder into a slow cooker recipe a good idea? [/quote]

It’s best to add it in after cooking.[/quote]

Ahh, ok, thanks Mr Shugs.

For those people on the go, or that dont want whey degenerating with the hot oat meal. At night Ill leave a sport bottle mixed with water,Metabolic Drive chocolate & the oats.By the morning Im drinking that out of the sport bottle on my drive to work.Its nice and cold and you can add the flavorings people said before with no problem. But some people like hot oat meal , I like it cold and my protein powder wont clump up like when its hot. The thickness depends on how much oat meal or water you mix as the oat meal will “swell”.
But hey isn’t that what were after.

Yeah I do the same thing. Cook a big pot of them. I scoop out a portion when I want it. I add:

Pecans
Metrx vanilla protien
Coconut milk
Cinnamon

Taste like a pecan Sandy cookie.