Biotest

Overfull on V-Diet (Shock, Horror!)

Hi Chris,

I actually have a few questions for you. I started my V-Diet yesterday and here’s my log: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_logs/tabula_rasa_i_hope_

Q1) I felt like I was overeating all day. I don’t eat typically as frequently as V-Diet prescribes so that may be the issue. That said, I couldn’t have the last meal of the day yesterday because I was extra full and felt I would hurl if I ate/drank anything more. Is this part of the normal adjustment process to the diet? Am I one of those chubbers who was actually undernourished?

Q2) Today was my first workout day. I woke up and had my breakfast shake at 6:00AM, was at the gym between 6:30AM-7:15AM during which the shake really made me feel queasy, especially during planks. After the workout I damned well had to stuff Surge down the gullet (it took me 45 minutes of start and stop) and I felt like I was up to my neck in fluids. Is it alright to do the workout on an empty stomach?

I was thinking of breaking fast with Surge on my workout days: as in sip a little before and during workout and then have the bulk of it after it. Having both the breakfast shake and Surge within an hour-fifteen minute block just makes me want to lie down and not get up.

Q3) For fiber I usually mix psyllium husk in a glass of water and have it plain without flavoring. Is it ok to continue doing that or is it not compatible with the flax seed that’s on the diet?

Thanks for the help.

1. Your overall calories are very low on the V-Diet. Being full while on a strict diet is a good thing, no? Better than starving. But if you need to reduce by 1 scoop of protein per day, that’s fine. No more though or cals will be too low and you’ll wreck your metabolism.

2. You can also save the flax for another shake during the day. A shake with flax that close to a workout may not be palatable.

3. Don’t weight train on an empty stomach (totally fasted state, like morning.) Never an ideal situation. Have at least a 1-scoop shake first. The Surge idea is fine too, but the latter plan is better.

4. Reduce flax by half if needed until you adjust. That should help too with fullness.

5. You don’t need psyllium husks on the V-Diet if you’re following it correctly.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

1. Your overall calories are very low on the V-Diet. Being full while on a strict diet is a good thing, no? Better than starving. But if you need to reduce by 1 scoop of protein per day, that’s fine. No more though or cals will be too low and you’ll wreck your metabolism.

2. You can also save the flax for another shake during the day. A shake with flax that close to a workout may not be palatable.

3. Don’t weight train on an empty stomach (totally fasted state, like morning.) Never an ideal situation. Have at least a 1-scoop shake first. The Surge idea is fine too, but the latter plan is better.

4. Reduce flax by half if needed until you adjust. That should help too with fullness.

5. You don’t need psyllium husks on the V-Diet if you’re following it correctly. [/quote]

6. Yes, being full (even overfull) is better than starving. Before I try reducing protein by one scoop, I will try changing my routine and see if I can fit to the diet instead making the diet fit to me. People who have strictly followed it have gotten fantastic results, so I don’t want to be second guessing whatever my progress is 6 weeks down.

7. Thanks for the idea on the flax, I might postpone it until lunch.

8. Okay, I will go with the plan of having a shake with one scoop of protein first thing when I wake up on my workout day, workout, immediately follow with surge, and then have the ‘second’ breakfast shake as soon as I can without feeling like I’ll burst(2 scoops instead of 3 like usual, since I would have had one scoop of it earlier that morning).

9. Hear you on the psyllium, will do as diet.

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. Really appreciate the promptness.

We built a bit of wiggle-room into the diet, so no worries if you decide to drop that scoop of protein.

Keep us posted!

I hate you…

Just kidding, it may be more accurate to say, “I envy you”.

Chris talks a lot about how most people feel very full on the V Diet. I was not one of those people. For the first week I was extremely hungry and tired. It sucked for me.

In my not so expert opinion, stick to the diet as outlined. Unless your stomach is so full that you drink your shake and puke, you’ll probably be alright. It’s only about 2200 calories a day, and based on your situation, your body is accustomed to way more than that, just not from such a large percentage of protein.

Man I wish I was in your shoes when I V-Dieted. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the results. It should change your life.

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:
I hate you…

Just kidding, it may be more accurate to say, “I envy you”.

Chris talks a lot about how most people feel very full on the V Diet. I was not one of those people. For the first week I was extremely hungry and tired. It sucked for me.

In my not so expert opinion, stick to the diet as outlined. Unless your stomach is so full that you drink your shake and puke, you’ll probably be alright. It’s only about 2200 calories a day, and based on your situation, your body is accustomed to way more than that, just not from such a large percentage of protein.

Man I wish I was in your shoes when I V-Dieted. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the results. It should change your life. [/quote]

Thanks for the well wishes, HDawg. Kinda need it today. Third day in and I did puke after my dinner meal. Even though I dropped one scoop from it. So feeling mighty discouraged right now.

Any other diet I have ever done has left me hungry with headaches; it is very odd for me to feel like I am overeating on a diet. It’s odd for anybody I guess.

At this point I hope I get accustomed to it, because it would be pretty tragic to give up on a weight loss program because it made you overfull. Tragic and it would break logic, ha.

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

How are you mixing your shakes? Are you using ice in a blender? How much water are you using? The reason I ask, is that MD is very mixable in water and does not require very much to not “lump up”. For the people who are hungry with the V Diet, the usual recommendation is to thicken it up with ice and / or use lots of water to help fill your stomach and trick your body into thinking it is full. In your case, I would suggest the opposite. Try and use a shaker bottle with your MD and leucine with as little water as possible (1 to 2 cups). You’ll just have to make sure you drink more fluids at other times.

Something worth trying though.

Quick question for you guys, the supplements are on their way and I should be starting in about a weeks’s time. I don’t have 24/7 access to a blender, do you know if the stuff mixes well with just water and a shaker? Is it palatable that way?

[quote]AndreiG wrote:
Quick question for you guys, the supplements are on their way and I should be starting in about a weeks’s time. I don’t have 24/7 access to a blender, do you know if the stuff mixes well with just water and a shaker? Is it palatable that way?[/quote]

Yes. 99% of the time I used (and still use) just a plastic bottle. It’s very convenient to get 10 plastic containers, pre-mix all your dry components, and when it is time to drink, just add water, shake, wait 2 minutes and down it.

Try dropping the water level in the shakes… that will at least help with the fullness of the drink, also make sure your flax is fresh and kept sealed in the fridge. Rancid flax does not a happy stomach make.

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:
How are you mixing your shakes? Are you using ice in a blender? How much water are you using? The reason I ask, is that MD is very mixable in water and does not require very much to not “lump up”. For the people who are hungry with the V Diet, the usual recommendation is to thicken it up with ice and / or use lots of water to help fill your stomach and trick your body into thinking it is full. In your case, I would suggest the opposite. Try and use a shaker bottle with your MD and leucine with as little water as possible (1 to 2 cups). You’ll just have to make sure you drink more fluids at other times.

Something worth trying though. [/quote]

I am using a blender bottle with a lot of ice. I find it goes down easier cold than warm or room temp. I like the idea of reducing the water volume, that may help. Right now I am using the prescribed amount of water, 16 or 24 ounces depending on meal time.

Today was a little easier because I had the day off so I went for a walk around the block after every meal. I think I will incorporate that during the work week as well.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will let you know how it goes.

[quote]AndreiG wrote:
Quick question for you guys, the supplements are on their way and I should be starting in about a weeks’s time. I don’t have 24/7 access to a blender, do you know if the stuff mixes well with just water and a shaker? Is it palatable that way?[/quote]

I have only used a blender once and the blender bottle works as well. The powder mixes very well, Superfood is denser than everything else though, takes a couple of harder shakes, that’s about it.

Most of my meals end up falling within the same time frame as when I am on the job, and I don’t have access to a blender there. So far it has not been an issue. Good luck.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
Try dropping the water level in the shakes… that will at least help with the fullness of the drink, also make sure your flax is fresh and kept sealed in the fridge. Rancid flax does not a happy stomach make.[/quote]

Cool. So far the flax is only three days old and has been kept in the fridge - I’ll make double sure that I didn’t pick up a packet which was getting close to expiration. And I’ll drop the water tomorrow, see how that goes.

Thanks.

So, how is it going? Are you adjusting?

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:
So, how is it going? Are you adjusting? [/quote]

Hey,

Well cutting down the water was a big help. Definitely got hungry during the day. But things haven’t changed: one, I still can’t have the last meal of the day and, second, I am still nauseated all day long. The last few days I didn’t take HOT-ROX, thinking that might be causing the nausea, but no luck.

One week has passed since I started this. I have lost 5lbs, but I feel sick all day.

At this point I am reconsidering the diet. I bulled through a week trying different combinations that might work for me but I am seriously tired of the gag reflex. There might be something in the shake that I am not reacting well to.

Try cutting out the flax.

And make sure you’ve put the nut butter and flax in the fridge. (I’m always surprised at how many V-Dieters don’t know to do that, so I have to check to be sure!)

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Try cutting out the flax.

And make sure you’ve put the nut butter and flax in the fridge. (I’m always surprised at how many V-Dieters don’t know to do that, so I have to check to be sure!)[/quote]

Tried taking out flax, and also both things are refrigerated. I’ve thrown up several times, and the last was when I was at work - leading to a little embarrassment.

I’ve lost 7 lbs but how much is that fat vs lean mass I can’t say given how I wasn’t able to adhere fully to the diet.

So I’m bowing out; I’m pretty pissed about it because being too hungry was not the issue.

Now I have all this protein powder and supplements, I have to figure out how to use them and still work towards my goals. Right now I can have two shakes a day separated out by 6 hours and not want to hurl.

Any advice or link to an article which incorporates how to use all this stuff I bought on the V-diet program?

Still using Surge after gym, taking Flameout with meals. Don’t really know about how best to use Leucine, Superfood, and the protein powder. I’m sure there is a supplements 101 type article on here somewhere, so I’ll keep hunting, but point me the right way if you already know.

Thank you to the people who were encouraging me and helping me through this, I am sorry to disappoint.

Try what some people call the “V-Diet Lite.” Shake for first and last meal of the day, healthy meals in between. No flax.

Superfood is like a multivitamin. Take it daily for optimal health. In water, oatmeal, shakes, whatever.

Leucine can be use with any meal for any goal. It’s just an amino acid. Take before you eat a solid meal or add to shakes for extra muscle building goodness.

I’m only on my second day, but I’ve been carrying around my peppermint oil to huff haha. I keep getting bursts of nausea with a strong urge to vomit but that smell totally cures it after a minute or two.

Sorry to hear about your overwhelming feeling of wanting to throw up all the time. That would certainly suck. Sounds like you’ve tried everything to overcome too. I love the shakes, a lot of times I prefer the shakes over an HSM both for their taste and simplicity. Maybe the V-diet lite will be the way to go.