Biotest

On Day 2!

OK, on day 2 and just had my second shake. So far I have definitely noticed the lethargy from cutting carbs, and a slight headache, but no aftereffects, and I’m less hungry than I thought I’d be.

Measurements:
Height 5’10"
Weight 182lbs
Belly 40
Thigh L/R 24/24
Calf L/R 14.5/14.5
Chest 38.5
Upper Abs 38
Shoulders 44
Upper Arm 12/12
Neck 16

Pics to come tonight.

Several questions:

1. Is sushi okay for a SHM? I’m not talking something ridiculous like a Philly roll, but standard-issue yellowfin/tuna/salmon+brown rice+seaweed.
  2. Is it okay to vary somewhat the day the SHM is eaten? For example, I started on Wednesday but would it be okay to do, say, Wednesday, Saturday (4 days later), followed by a week from the coming wednesday (10 days later)?

Thanks!

[quote]glwillia wrote:
OK, on day 2 and just had my second shake. So far I have definitely noticed the lethargy from cutting carbs, and a slight headache, but no aftereffects, and I’m less hungry than I thought I’d be.

Measurements:
Height 5’10"
Weight 182lbs
Belly 40
Thigh L/R 24/24
Calf L/R 14.5/14.5
Chest 38.5
Upper Abs 38
Shoulders 44
Upper Arm 12/12
Neck 16

Pics to come tonight.

Several questions:

1. Is sushi okay for a SHM? I’m not talking something ridiculous like a Philly roll, but standard-issue yellowfin/tuna/salmon+brown rice+seaweed.
  2. Is it okay to vary somewhat the day the SHM is eaten? For example, I started on Wednesday but would it be okay to do, say, Wednesday, Saturday (4 days later), followed by a week from the coming wednesday (10 days later)?

Thanks!
[/quote]

1. Sushi is a little carby. Fish is fine, avocado is fine (love the avocado rolls), but all that sticky, high glycemic rice can add up fast. Best to stick to samishi and veggies.

Remember, the starch/carb portion of the HSM is pretty small. A baked sweet potato (dry) is about as big as you want to go. The rest should be protein and veggies.

1. The more you mix things around, the more trouble you could get into. People who aren’t consistent with their HSM often fall off the wagon. You need rules and a commitment to stick to them.

Now, if you plan your HSM on a Saturday night and have it on Sunday for lunch instead, that’s not a big deal, but any more than that and you’re playing with fire and increasing the chance of dietary failure. Put the HSMs too close and you risk eating too many solids, getting too many calories, or not experiencing the changes in cravings and bad habits. Place the HSMs too far apart and you might give in to a craving.

So, be careful.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

1. Sushi is a little carby. Fish is fine, avocado is fine (love the avocado rolls), but all that sticky, high glycemic rice can add up fast. Best to stick to samishi and veggies.

Remember, the starch/carb portion of the HSM is pretty small. A baked sweet potato (dry) is about as big as you want to go. The rest should be protein and veggies.

1. The more you mix things around, the more trouble you could get into. People who aren’t consistent with their HSM often fall off the wagon. You need rules and a commitment to stick to them.

Now, if you plan your HSM on a Saturday night and have it on Sunday for lunch instead, that’s not a big deal, but any more than that and you’re playing with fire and increasing the chance of dietary failure.

Put the HSMs too close and you risk eating too many solids, getting too many calories, or not experiencing the changes in cravings and bad habits. Place the HSMs too far apart and you might give in to a craving.

So, be careful.
[/quote]

1. Yeah, the rice is what worried me. I thought brown rice might be okay, but wanted to make sure before that time rolled around. No worries, sashimi is plenty yummy! Is wasabi + soy okay?

2. I figured that might be the case… I’ll stick to the week-apart schedule then.

Thanks so much for answering the questions, love the site!

sashimi is awesome and very good for your HSM. Don’t forget to incude your veggies!!! I had sashimi on week one followed by a small steak, salad, and broccoli.

M

[quote]glwillia wrote:

1. Yeah, the rice is what worried me. I thought brown rice might be okay, but wanted to make sure before that time rolled around. No worries, sashimi is plenty yummy! Is wasabi + soy okay?

[/quote]

If you must have rice, then brown is best, but even that’s “iffy.”

Wasabi and soy sauce is fine. Hot mustard too. Watch those ginger and hoisin-based sauces though.

Day 2 went pretty well–had my first workout on the diet, and drove my friends through the Taco Hell drive-through (I’ve discovered when you go on the V-Diet you get to be the designated driver!), and didn’t get anything. I feel a lot better now, at the beginning of Day 3, than I did at the end of Day 1.

[quote]bmwdemon wrote:
sashimi is awesome and very good for your HSM. Don’t forget to incude your veggies!!! I had sashimi on week one followed by a small steak, salad, and broccoli.

M[/quote]

Mmm… sashimi it is then!

Nice E46 M3, btw–is it yours?

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
glwillia wrote:

If you must have rice, then brown is best, but even that’s “iffy.”

Wasabi and soy sauce is fine. Hot mustard too. Watch those ginger and hoisin-based sauces though.

[/quote]

Ok, skipping the rice and doing sashimi + vegetables. Thanks!

Ugh, on day 4 now… So far so good, I’ve gone to the bar w/ friends almost every night this week and only had water. The only modifications I’ve made so far to the diet is that I use natural sunflower-seed butter rather than peanut butter (it has pretty much the same nutritional value), and I do allow myself a morning cup of black coffee. I also can’t resist weighing myself every day, but I am a geek and want to plot my weight in a spreadsheet every day over 30 days.

I also keep the tape measure handy, any time I get discouraged at the thought of yet another shake I measure my gut and my motivation returns!

Think I hit a milestone today! It’s day 5 and I spent more time today craving a nice long drive in my car (which is in winter storage) than I did solid food. Of course, the ‘mocha’ I had for breakfast (two scoops of chocolate MD mixed with black coffee) probably helped!

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.