Biotest

Olympic Lift Help

CT, as a guy who trained with primarily with a bodybuilding mindset for a long time, I’ve only recently become 100% focused on crossfit (just in the last 5 months). My strength and technique in the olymoic lifts needs some serious help. Any help you could provided would be immensely appreciated. Here is a video of my snatch from today at a measly 61kg this represent about 85% of my max.

[quote]J Moose wrote:
CT, as a guy who trained with primarily with a bodybuilding mindset for a long time, I’ve only recently become 100% focused on crossfit (just in the last 5 months). My strength and technique in the olymoic lifts needs some serious help. Any help you could provided would be immensely appreciated. Here is a video of my snatch from today at a measly 61kg this represent about 85% of my max. [/quote]

I’m not CT but I came across your post and I wanted to give you my thoughts considering I’m also a former Olympic weightlifter.

A few simple pointers that you need to fix before everything:
-the bar path should be a straight line up and much closer to your body
-in the second phase of the snatch you’re hitting the bar away from you rather than using the momentum vertically. A snatch is not sex, the movement you’re doing is moving the bar forward instead of upwards. Watch dmitry klokiv’s videos for good examples
-you need to finish the pull, you are jumping under the bar before finishing the pull. Your legs should be almost straight and stretched before going under the bar.
-when you’re trying to catch the bar you should already be in your lowest position where you want to finish the snatch. What you’re doing is catching the bar very high and then squatting down. Practice drop snatches to practice speed and to get to the right end position under the bar and overhead squats in order to learn the movement pattern of where you need to sit in the snatch.
-At your current level I wouldn’t do any less than 3 reps (possibly 5) to teach your body a new movement pattern. Sets of 1 rep won’t do it, it needs to become second nature and this comes after a lot of practice.

• work specially on your hip, shoulder and ankle flexibility. For weightlifting you need specific kind of flexibility. A good way to do this is hold a wooden dowel above your head in an overhead squat position and just walk (like a duck) 5 steps forward and 5 steps back then repeat 3-5times at the beginning and end of every workout.

Hope this helped a bit.

A lot of helpful stuff by Amit. I added some more stuff in my log.

[quote]Amit Sapir wrote:

[quote]J Moose wrote:
CT, as a guy who trained with primarily with a bodybuilding mindset for a long time, I’ve only recently become 100% focused on crossfit (just in the last 5 months). My strength and technique in the olymoic lifts needs some serious help. Any help you could provided would be immensely appreciated. Here is a video of my snatch from today at a measly 61kg this represent about 85% of my max. [/quote]

I’m not CT but I came across your post and I wanted to give you my thoughts considering I’m also a former Olympic weightlifter.

I am just not seeing this. Thanks so much Amit!!

A few simple pointers that you need to fix before everything:
-the bar path should be a straight line up and much closer to your body
-in the second phase of the snatch you’re hitting the bar away from you rather than using the momentum vertically. A snatch is not sex, the movement you’re doing is moving the bar forward instead of upwards. Watch dmitry klokiv’s videos for good examples
-you need to finish the pull, you are jumping under the bar before finishing the pull. Your legs should be almost straight and stretched before going under the bar.
-when you’re trying to catch the bar you should already be in your lowest position where you want to finish the snatch. What you’re doing is catching the bar very high and then squatting down. Practice drop snatches to practice speed and to get to the right end position under the bar and overhead squats in order to learn the movement pattern of where you need to sit in the snatch.
-At your current level I wouldn’t do any less than 3 reps (possibly 5) to teach your body a new movement pattern. Sets of 1 rep won’t do it, it needs to become second nature and this comes after a lot of practice.

• work specially on your hip, shoulder and ankle flexibility. For weightlifting you need specific kind of flexibility. A good way to do this is hold a wooden dowel above your head in an overhead squat position and just walk (like a duck) 5 steps forward and 5 steps back then repeat 3-5times at the beginning and end of every workout.

Hope this helped a bit.
[/quote]