Biotest

Nothin' to It But to Do It - orangeapple's V-Diet Log

Scared to lose weight. Scared to get fit. Scared to look good. It sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it? But this is the situation I’ve found myself in for much longer than I care to admit now. Saddlebags, love handles, a poochy belly, a double chin, and the unconfident attitude that came with them have been the perfect anchors to keep me firmly stuck in my comfort zone. I’ve lost this fat before - three times even! - but each time, just as the triceps and quads I’d spent so many hours building in the gym began to show definition, just as my waist shrunk enough to allow the skirts and blouses from my college days to button again, I lost my nerve and retreated back to the familiar safety of potato chips and pound cakes and baggy beige sweater wraps.

But finally, I’m sick of stagnation. I’m ready to bust out of the bunker I’ve built for myself and see what the world has to offer. I’ve been working out regularly and eating (mostly) clean for a few months now, but starting tomorrow, I’m doing things differently. I’m jumping straight into the deep end and shedding this fat before I know what hit me. I’ve got an empty fridge, a cupboard full of Metabolic Drive, and most importantly, total confidence that I can succeed this time. The path is laid out clearly ahead of me - now there’s nothing to it but to do it!

OK, maybe that was a little overdramatic, but it feels good to finally get it out there, haha. I’ll post pictures and stats tomorrow, but for now I’ve got to get some sleep for my busy day tomorrow!

Welcome aboard! Keep us filled in on how it goes!

We look forward to following your progress!

Keep us posted, and remember that the feeling of fear, that trepidation that comes with anything new, is always a sign of good things to come. Reinterpret it, reframe it. It’s not fear, it’s excitement.

Best of luck to you. Keep us updated.

Oh wow, comments already! Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

As promised, my pics and stats post:

Day 1
Height: 5’ 1"
Weight: 133.4 lb

Waist at narrowest: 28.25", Abdomen at navel: 32.75"
Hips: 36.5"
Chest below: 30.25", above 33.5"
Thigh: 24", Calf 14.25"
Bicep: 11.75"

And a quick rundown of my first day:

Woke up and jumped in front of the camera first thing. Getting all those photos and measurements took longer than expected and I didn’t have as much time for NEPA as I would have liked - only got 25 minutes in today. It was a nice morning for a walk - a morning rain shower had just ended and things were nice and cool.

I didn’t have too much trouble with the shakes. I did feel a little nauseated right after drinking the second shake, but I was prepared - I took some 0 cal ginger and lemon tea to work with me to settle my stomach when needed.

Since my gym is open on weekends but not Friday evenings, I’ve pushed all the workouts ahead one day of the week. Today I did the first workout on the beginner plan:
Dumbbell squat: 55lb x 14, 11, 8, 7
Obviously I could have handled more weight here, but I had trouble because I had the form totally wrong. I was trying to lift the dumbbell by the bar part instead of the plate! I’ll have to make sure I study the form more carefully before I do the next workout.
Dumbbell bench press: 50lb x 9, 8, 5, 4, 3, 3, 4, 3, 1
Bent-over barbell row: 60lb x 8, 6, 8, 7, 6, 5
Plank holds: 30s each

All in all a pretty solid first day, I think.

Day 2 sucked HARD. I had no energy and felt like I was going to puke several times. I woke up feeling really thirsty, so I think dehydration was responsible for some of the tiredness and nausea. I drank lots of water, got in a 40 min NEPA walk at 4.0 mph and .5% incline.

Day 3, in contrast, has been awesome! I woke up feeling really rested and had good energy and mood throughout the day. Got my second workout in:
Romanian deadlift: 55lb x 24, 14, 13 - Picked a really conservative weight for this because it was my first time performing the exercise. I’ll increase this to at least 65lb next week.
Lat pulldown: 40lb x 16, 13, 13
Standing shoulder press: 15lb dumbbells x 15, 10, 6, 5, 6, 5
Side plank holds ~40s each.

Not missing solid food too much so far. Weirdly enough, what I’m craving most is spicy stuff. Maybe I’ll figure out a way to fit some chili peppers into my HSM on Sunday.

Congrats on the great job so far! I’m at the same stage you are, although I don’t watn spicey food I’m craving edamame for some reason, I’m thinking I want some salt!

IPB, I had bad salt cravings last week too, to the point that I ended up “cheating” and having maybe 1/8 - 1/4 tsp of salt a day for the first few days. I think it was because the temperature in my apartment was 90+ and I was sweating like crazy for 15 hours a day. Now that the heat has broken my salt craving has disappeared.

OK, I’m a little behind on my log, so here’s a summary of the past few days.

THE GOOD
Except for the salt “cheat” mentioned above, I played by the book 100%. No missed shakes or workouts and no unscheduled food. I had my HSM on Sunday and it was amazing - I made a huge spinach salad with a chopped boiled egg and homemade yogurt dressing, steamed broccoli, quinoa pilaf with garlic, pine nuts, and olive oil, and an 8 oz steak. However, like the saying says, “my eyes were bigger than my stomach”, and I could only eat about half of it.

THE BAD
I completed my workout on Saturday, but once again I chose weights that were too light for two of the exercises. The V-diet workout program has made me realize how easy I was taking it at the gym. I’m stronger than I realized! Except, apparently, in my core - the ab walkouts really killed me during the V-burn Challenge on Sunday morning.

THE UGLY
As of Sunday morning, scale weight was only down 2.2 pounds, to 131.2 . I know it’s just a number and I was only five days into the diet at that point, but I’m a little disappointed that I’m not closer to the 120s. My clothes are fitting better and my waist, navel, and thigh measurements are all down about 0.5 in, so I know I’m making some progress.

I took pictures on Sunday as well, but they aren’t edited yet so I can’t post them.

Although I gave up on updating this log, I did not give up on the V-Diet. Yesterday was my last day of the main phase of the diet, so I took my final measurements and photos this morning. Here are the results, listed as initial | final | change for each measurement:

Weight: 133.4 | 125.4 | -8.0 lb

Waist at narrowest: 28.25 | 26.5 | -1.75"

Waist at navel: 32.25 | 29.5 | -2.75"

Hips: 36.5 | 34.75 | -1.75"

Chest under: 30.25 | 28.5 | -1.75"

Chest above: 33.5 | 32.5 | -1"

Thigh: 24 | 22.5 | -1.5"

Calf: 14.25 | 14 | -0.25"

Bicep: 11.75 | 11.25 | -0.5"

Neck above nape: 12.25 | 12 | -0.25"

I am very pleased with these results. An 8lb loss might not sound impressive, but it is really noticeable on my tiny 5’ 1" frame!

Front before and after photos.

Side before and after photos

Back before and after photos.

I will try to post a quick summary of my thoughts about the V-Diet tomorrow, but I am out of time for tonight.

WOW! Great work! I think you made some pretty awesome improvments!

It looks like you lost a lot all over the place. Great job, and remember to keep it up!