Biotest

No Shake, No Bake Pork Chops


#1

[center]No Shake, No Bake Pork Chops[/center]
Nothing at all wrong with lean pork. Nothing wrong with almonds either. And nothing wrong with healthy fat like coconut oil. So why not put them all together and re-make a childhood favorite so it’s supportive to your physique goals? Let’s do it.

Ingredients

4-5 boneless pork cutlets, thin

1/2 to 1 cup almond flour, blanched

1 whole egg or 2 egg whites

Unsweetened almond milk, plain

Coconut oil for pan frying

Seasonings of choice: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. Trim any excess fat from your pork cutlets. If they’re thick, pound them flatter with a tenderizing mallet.

  2. Set up your dredging station. Crack the egg into a bowl, add a dash of almond milk, and whisk. Pour almond flour onto a separate plate. Add seasonings to flour and combine.

  3. Dip each cutlet into the egg/milk mixture, then into the flour/seasoning mixture. Set aside.

  4. Add a big spoonful of coconut oil to a large, hot pan.

  5. Place each dredged cutlet into the pan. Do not crowd them. Work in batches if needed.

  6. When they get toasty brown on one side, flip. Cook until golden. When poked with a fork, juices should be clear.

  7. Remove from pan and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil, then serve.

Variations

Instead of almond flour, you can use rice flour.

Try different seasoning combinations, like Cajun or Jamaican.


#2

Great! I’ve done this with chicken tenders several times and it works pretty well. I like the rice flour variation for some carbs!


#3

I did the same basic thing with beef for chicken-fried steak, just double dredged it. Messy and my batter fell off a lot, but tasty. Very heavy though with all that almond flour and coconut oil. Single dredge seems best. The rice flour is tasty too, maybe a little more crisp than almond.


#4

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
I did the same basic thing with beef for chicken fried steak, just double dredged it. Messy and my batter fell off a lot, but tasty. Very heavy though with all that almond flour and coconut oil. Single dredge seems best. The rice flour is tasty too, maybe a little more crisp than almond. [/quote]

that was my experience with the chicken as well.

Needs something to help it stick a bit better.


#5

what’s wrong with the fat from the chops? Why are you getting rid of it?


#6

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
what’s wrong with the fat from the chops? Why are you getting rid of it?[/quote]

Plenty of fat in the meat already, plus it’s cooked in more fat, and dredged in fat. And if you use almond flour there’s some more fat. And I don’t like the mouthfeel of excess fat myself. Plus it lowers the calories in a meal that can be pretty calorie dense.


#7

Coconut flour is tasty as welll…cauliflower mashed on the side!


#8

[quote]joshdatrainer wrote:
Coconut flour is tasty as welll…cauliflower mashed on the side!
[/quote]

Great idea. Should work very well.


#9

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
what’s wrong with the fat from the chops? Why are you getting rid of it?[/quote]

Plenty of fat in the meat already, plus it’s cooked in more fat, and dredged in fat. And if you use almond flour there’s some more fat. And I don’t like the mouthfeel of excess fat. Plus it lowers the calories in a meal that can be pretty calorie dense. [/quote]

ah ok, I was just checking in case there was something insidious about pork fat that I didn’t know.

I’ll probably leave it on then :), looking forward to trying this out.