Biotest

No-Grain Oatmeal

[center]No-Grain Oatmeal [/center]
Coach Charles Poliquin, trainer of more Olympians, pro-athletes, and bodybuilders than you can shake a proverbial stick at, had just dropped a bomb on me.

[center] [/center]
First he dissed junk food. (No problem there.) Then he dissed bread. (You go, big guy!) Then he dissed oatmeal…

What?

Oh, come on! Oatmeal? It’s a muscle-building, energy-sustaining staple, Coach!

“Only 25% of the world’s population is carbohydrate adapted,” he told me, “and most of them are Asian. Also, oatmeal is the most common food allergen. It comes from the grass family after all. In 2001 I ran blood work on every single one of my clients using six different labs. Oatmeal always came out as the most frequent food allergen. It can raise cortisol and lead to the storage of fat in the abdominal area.”

Well, I thought, that sucks. So much for my usual breakfast of <a href="https://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_store?src=vdiet"target=“new”>Metabolic Drive and oats!

I did some more poking around and learned that grains, even good old-fashioned oatmeal, generally don’t do a body good, probably because our biologies haven’t adapted to them. They’re “new” to humans in the big picture. Anti-nutrients, inflammation, and allergens… interference with fat loss, bloat… even interference with your body’s processing of <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/d_is_for_doping&cr="target=“new”>Vitamin D.

It took me a long time to believe Poliquin, but when I reduced then later omitted the gains, I quickly saw the light.

If you’re struggling, if you just can’t seem to lose the chub or the bloat, then ditch the oats for a while and see what happens. Maybe it’s something that’s been holding back your progress and you didn’t even realize it.

For some folks who struggle with getting lean and staying that way, cutting out oatmeal and other grains may also be the perfect fine-tuning step. If you’ve already removed the obvious body-wreckers (cereal, pasta, beer, bread) and still can’t crack into single-digit body fat, then this final step of going grain-free or 95% grain-free could be just what you need. (Or just do the <a href="http://velocity.tmuscle.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30#velocity-diet-3-0"target=“new”>V-Diet
and get it over with.)

I’ve found that getting rid of oatmeal has helped me to stay lean. I’d rather “spend” my carbs on peri-workout nutrition, some fruit, the occasional starchy veggie, or a glass of red wine. Still, nothing beats a hot 'n hearty bowl of mush some mornings. For that, I now eat “no-atmeal”, pronounce note-meal.

[center] [/center]
Yep, it’s no-grain oatmeal. I learned of this recipe through Mark Sisson, author of The Primal Blueprint, who in turn learned it from one of his readers. Here’s how to make it.

[center] No-Grain Oatmeal [/center]
The Stuff

1 handful of walnuts
1 handful of pecans
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1 or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 pinch of ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground ginger
1 tablespoon almond butter (or any nut butter; I used cashew)
1 banana, mashed
3 omega-3 enriched eggs
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or more if you like it runnier)
2 teaspoons pumpkin seeds (optional)
1 handful of berries (optional)

Putting All That Stuff Together

1. A small food processor really helps here, but you could get by without one. Place walnuts, pecans, spice and flax seed into the food pro and give it a few pulses. Don’t grind it into powder though; leave it coarse. No food pro? Smash the nuts as best as you can in a sandwich baggie, then add flax and spices. Mix well. Set aside.

2. Add eggs and almond milk to a bowl and whisk until it starts to thicken a little. (A shaker bottle works well here too.)

[center] [/center]
3. Smash together the banana and the nut butter. Combine well with egg mixture.

1. Now add the nut/spice blend and mix well. Warm on the stove or in the microwave until it thickens to whatever consistency you like. Stir frequently.

2. Top with berries, pumpkin seeds or whatever the heck you want. Enjoy.

Yield: Two big bowls of steaming goodness.

Variations

• Add a scoop of chocolate Metabolic Drive for more protein and a cocoa twist. Strawberry or banana cream MD works well too. Thin with additional almond milk if needed.

• Use chocolate or vanilla unsweetened almond milk for additional flavor.

• Use different nuts and berries on top. Almond slivers and blueberries should work very well.

Even if you can handle oatmeal just fine, I bet you’ll like this one better. Give it a shot and see. Then, snap a pic and share your variations below. – Chris

Gonna give this a shot. Along with whole wheat bread, I wasn’t ever able to determine why the carbs from oats were supposed to be so far superior to the “bad” ones. But it was such an accepted health staple that I just went along with it, even when reading up on the benefits still didn’t sell me. Fiber seemed to be the biggest thing, but the carb to fiber ratio never seemed worth the trade off. Couldn’t you just eat an apple, I thought.

Anyway, I haven’t really eaten oats since I included them in a “cookie” recipe that was on this site last year. Cutting them out hasn’t been an issue. It helps that I was never a huge oats fan and would look to my morning bowl of oats as more of a chore than a delight.

Excellent. I’ve found tomorrow’s breakfast.

This rocks! Thanks Chris.

I’d suggest trying the recipe above, then really getting in there and tweaking it. Lots of options here with spices, nuts, berries, etc.

This is great stuff. And very hearty and filling, like oatmeal. Microwaves up nicely too. This will be a regular winter staple for me this year.

Great Article Chris,

You know I’ve been reading so much about the Paleo Diet and how it can increase Athletic Performance, and as you mentioned in your article about how very few of us are carb adapted.

I’ve been reading how some Olympians and hopeful Olypians from the US have adopted the Diet (Ditched all griains and Dairy) and have seen tremendous improvements while not having changed anything in there training, which shows us that for some people simply cutting out these foods may help us just live better and more effeciently…how cool is that when you think about it…

I’m getting ready for next years Cross Country and Track season and told myself I would really try to up my game and see how things shape up leading into 2012 (up in Canada we don’t have nearly the depth of you americans when it comes to track athlets in middle distance running and XC) so I may sneak onto our national team If all goes well.

But I’ve decided to experiment and go complety paleo and track my progress and see how my body addapts. I’ll let you all know how things turn out

Keep these Blog’s comming, more people will start seeing the light!!! Cheers.

Dave

Just recycled yesterday’s Sticky Balls by adding 1egg, 1 tbsp cocoa, 1 tbsp almond flour, 1 banana, nutmeg & cinnamon to 4 cocoa balls and 1 pb ball. The added butter from the balls gives a nice smooth texture.

[quote]alexanderdokov wrote:
Just recycled yesterday’s Sticky Balls by adding 1egg, 1 tbsp cocoa, 1 tbsp almond flour, 1 banana, nutmeg & cinnamon to 4 cocoa balls and 1 pb ball. The added butter from the balls gives a nice smooth texture.[/quote]

Sounds good, just be sure the calories don’t creep up too high. Caloric density is okay (avocados, nuts, etc. are dense but healthy and physique-supportive) but the Sticky Balls are so good it’s easy to over-do them!

Chris, I’d love to see your take on some type of meat jerky. I think that’s the ultimate, portable food especially since it’s fairly cheap to make if you use Flank.

[quote]Perpalicious wrote:
Chris, I’d love to see your take on some type of meat jerky. I think that’s the ultimate, portable food especially since it’s fairly cheap to make if you use Flank. [/quote]

Haven’t played around with that yet. Would be nice to make it without all the added sugar you sometimes find in store brands though.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[quote]Perpalicious wrote:
Chris, I’d love to see your take on some type of meat jerky. I think that’s the ultimate, portable food especially since it’s fairly cheap to make if you use Flank. [/quote]

Haven’t played around with that yet. Would be nice to make it without all the added sugar you sometimes find in store brands though. [/quote]

Exactly why I’d love to see your take on it. I bet you could come up with something awesome. :wink:

Not Chris’s take, but some basic jerky stuff from Mark’s Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-make-your-own-jerky/

He has a basic marinade to try out in there that was pretty good for your traditional smokey flavored jerky. I’ve tried other marinades and my favorite ended up being one from this site: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vinegar-Based-BBQ-Sauce/Detail.aspx. I swapped splenda in for brown sugar and doubled the cayenne pepper.

[quote]Tirith wrote:
Not Chris’s take, but some basic jerky stuff from Mark’s Daily Apple: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-make-your-own-jerky/

He has a basic marinade to try out in there that was pretty good for your traditional smokey flavored jerky. I’ve tried other marinades and my favorite ended up being one from this site: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vinegar-Based-BBQ-Sauce/Detail.aspx. I swapped splenda in for brown sugar and doubled the cayenne pepper.[/quote]

Very cool. Thanks!

[quote]Tirith wrote:

He has a basic marinade to try out in there that was pretty good for your traditional smokey flavored jerky. I’ve tried other marinades and my favorite ended up being one from this site: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vinegar-Based-BBQ-Sauce/Detail.aspx. I swapped splenda in for brown sugar and doubled the cayenne pepper.[/quote]

They make a substitute brown sugar, http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Twin-Granulated-Brown-2-85/dp/B00061EUN6

OR you can try this:
1 cup artificial sweetener*
1/4 cup sugar-free maple syrup( make sure it’s not full of sugar alcohols )

Mix ingredients well.

Replaces 1 cup of regular brown sugar to be used when baking.

*Use the type of sweetener that measures 1 cup to 1 cup of granulated sugar.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
1/4 cup sugar-free maple syrup( make sure it’s not full of sugar alcohols )
[/quote]

Do they make a sugar-free syrup that’s not full of sugar alcohols? I haven’t found one yet.

Probably not- I honestly don’t know.

However the twin sugar should work perfect, they make different variety’s too.

Granted the twin sugar isn’t a 0 carb thing, but it’s .27 carbs per tea spoon. So not terrible…

I made a simple single-serving version this morning:

1 egg
4 oz water
1/2 banana
1 tbsp flax seed
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 scoop chocolate Metabolic Drive Low-Carb

microwave for 1 minute and then add
1 oz frozen blueberries
1 oz frozen blackberries

Tasted great and was filling!

[quote]Timothy67 wrote:
I made a simple single-serving version this morning:

1 egg
4 oz water
1/2 banana
1 tbsp flax seed
1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 scoop chocolate Metabolic Drive Low-Carb

microwave for 1 minute and then add
1 oz frozen blueberries
1 oz frozen blackberries

Tasted great and was filling![/quote]

You didn’t have the walnuts or pecans? Just checking.
I got a 2lbs bag of walnuts, a 2lbs bag of pecans and a .5lbs bag of hazelnuts and put 'em all in the Cuisinart for a few seconds. Freeze it in a big ziploc bag and they are ready to go whenever I need them.

Icarus-no, i left out the nuts and spices…i usually have a couple servings of walnuts and almonds in the afternoon.