Biotest

No-Gluten Pizza Crust

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
HOLY SHIT! I am now a believer. Pizza! I made this recipe tonight and ate the entire thing, with 1.25 lbs ground turkey and some peppers/onions on top! And a side of about a pound of green beans. My roommate, who eats nothing but chocolate muffins and fried chicken, agreed that it was damn good!

Does anybody know the macro breakdown of the crust as listed above? Also, Chris, I noticed that my toppings fell off my pizza. Is there a way to get them to stick into the crust better? And can I reduce the amount of cheese from 2 to 1 cups? Possibly downshift the cheese and upshift the flour/flax meal?

Thanks so much for this. I’m still doing a mass building plan, but this completely eliminates my need to cheat. Saturday nights were a quart of ice cream and some cookies. Now I think I’ll have an entire pizza and maybe a salad or something. Why cheat when I can eat this pizza? I mean, PIZZA! YES! [/quote]

Yep, I’ve never understood the need to “dirty bulk” when it’s easy to take in extra, clean calories.

As for the topping falling off, could be from the volume of heavy toppings. Also, play around with your layering. Try meat first, then sauce, or vice-versa if that’s what you did before. And be sure to drain your meat after browning if using ground. Ingredients might be too wet.

I don’t think the reduction in cheese would work as you wrote above, but you could try it. The cheese is the foundation of this type of crust. The almond flour crust recipe in this forum contains less cheese and more almond flour though. Same for the cauliflower crust (1 cup or so).

would doubling the coconut flour maybe help reduce the amount of cheese? I think I’ll try that next time, just b/c cheese doesn’t sit well with me. Thanks again. PS if you come up with a recipe for a healthful burrito, I will bow down to you

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
would doubling the coconut flour maybe help reduce the amount of cheese? I think I’ll try that next time, just b/c cheese doesn’t sit well with me. Thanks again. PS if you come up with a recipe for a healthful burrito, I will bow down to you[/quote]

You can do a version of this crust, or even a cauliflower crust, made very thin into a tortilla shape. Not quite the real thing, but close enough when you get the other flavors right.

Let me know how your experiment works out.

ok, thanks man. great stuff.

Im having trouble with the pizza crust sticking to the paper. Im wondering if im not letting it cook long enough on one side before i flip it. Ive tried “pamming” the paper and everything. Any tips would be a huge help. Also i couldn’t find coconut flour so i ground up some cocunut really fine. Not sure if thats the same thing. Thanks guys and gals

[quote]bodywork wrote:
Im having trouble with the pizza crust sticking to the paper. Im wondering if im not letting it cook long enough on one side before i flip it. Ive tried “pamming” the paper and everything. Any tips would be a huge help. Also i couldn’t find coconut flour so i ground up some cocunut really fine. Not sure if thats the same thing. Thanks guys and gals[/quote]

First makes sure it’s parchment paper. (Wax paper and other stuff won’t work. Though some of it makes a pretty fire in the oven.)

Pam should not be necessary. That’s one advantage of parchment.

In my experience you can’t really make coconut “flour” by grinding your own coconut. You can’t get it fine enough. And that means it won’t absorb liquid as well, and THAT means a wetter dough that could be causing the sticking. But yes, a couple of minutes of extra cooking should help too. You want it to brown a little on the bottom.

Type of pan could be the issue too, but I bet it’s the flour issue + the need for extra baking time.

Thanks for the help and all the awesome recipes. Makes eating clean delicious and gives us varity.

I am loving this recipe more and more. Just made a pizza with turkey pepperoni, peppers, and onions.

How do you make your Mexican pizza? Also, what kind of side dishes do you roll with?

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
How do you make your Mexican pizza? Also, what kind of side dishes do you roll with? [/quote]

Main ingredient is extra lean ground beef (pre-browned), but turkey works too.

Sauce is usually canned enchilada (look for the cleanest kind you can find) but salsas work too, or guacamole.

I’ll add cumin and chili to the crust sometimes, just whatever Mexican flavors you like. Then top with chopped chilies, Rotel blend, low-fat Mexican cheese blend (shredded in bags), stuff like that. I make it a little different each time.

In fact, I added smashed black beans to the crust last time. See pic. Not pretty, but tasty.

Sides? When you eat half of one of these at once, you really don’t have room for sides. Besides, I just pile all the “sides” on the top!

I’m gonna try this for HSM on saturday, I’m gonna try mixing a bit of pesto into the dough, maybe a pinch more coconut flour to compensate. Can’t wait.

[quote]nateschmidt24 wrote:
I’m gonna try this for HSM on saturday, I’m gonna try mixing a bit of pesto into the dough, maybe a pinch more coconut flour to compensate. Can’t wait.[/quote]

I’ve done it. Works great!

I used this recipe and made Philly cheesesteak pizza (like you posted in the “What Chris Actually Eats” thread), Oh my freaking goodness, it was like kissing god, tongue & all!!!

My whole family loved it. The coconut pizza crust is by far my favorite right now.

first time baking and i am surprised at how well it turned out

was amazing…with ground beef, mushrooms, turkey sausage…was around 1.2k~ cals for the entire pizza and was basically less than 10 carbs…

going to be a staple everyday now…

Hi Chris
Have tried this crust twice and both failed miserably - didn’t read your entire blog regarding this crust and now understand can’t use wax paper - it just melted and stuck but didn’t seem to rise at all. Do you have to use parchment as my budget is pretty tight - or can you just pam a non-stick pan?

Also wondering if you use level tablespoons of coconut flour or heaping - I used level measure on the coconut flour and baking powder and no success as yet. Any suggestions would be appreciated - thank you for posting these - love your recipes.

Avoid Pam. It’s junk oil. Use coconut oil and try the plain pan. Feel free to experiment with all the directions. You may come up with something better than mine!

I’m not sure if these pizzas look disgusting or delicious. but I want one.

Awesome recipe

When/if you add a tomato based sauce what are you all using?