Biotest

No-Gluten Pizza Crust

[center]Gluten-Free Pizza Crust [/center]
[center] [/center]
Pizza is one of the main foods that makes kids fat. And probably adults too.

This from a new study that lists the six foods that are responsible for a biggest chunk of the obesity epidemic, at least among kiddos. Besides pizza, here are the primary “empty-calorie” culprits: soda, fruit drinks, dairy desserts, grain desserts, and whole milk.

I agree. Mostly. Two minor points: First, I think all milk sucks, even skim. How on earth did drinking the sugary infant formula from another specie’s teats become a “staple food” in the human diet? It’s just kinda weird if you think about it. (Kinda like how a smoker is reforming healthcare… but I digress.)

Second, I think pizza can help you build a lean, healthy, muscular body… if you make it the way I do. With tons of vegetables, low-carb/sugar and high-protein toppings, plus a little volumizing, you can eat decadent-tasting pizza, get full, and not get fat.

The problem of course has always been the crust. I’ve come up with two alternatives so far: a low-carb <a href="http://velocity.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/lowcarb_flatbread_pizza_crust"target=“new”>almond flour crust and a <a href="http://velocity.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/flourless_pizza_finally"target=“new”>cauliflower crust, which is my favorite.

And now here’s one more: a low carb, gluten free, high fiber crust made mostly from flax meal, coconut flour, and reduced-calorie cheeses. It rocks. And with the right toppings it’s far from “empty.”

Let’s make one.

[center] [/center]
The Stuff

2 cups of shredded cheese (part skim or low-fat to reduce calories)
3 omega-3 eggs such as Egglands Best (or 3/4 cup Egg Beaters)
2 tablespoons of coconut flour
2 tablespoons of milled flax seed (flax meal)
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

Putting It All Together

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix all the ingredients together until “dough” forms.

3. Form into a ball and plop it onto some parchment paper. Flatten into pizza shape and move to pizza pan (parchment paper and all.)

4. Bake for 15 minutes or so, flip, then bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until it’s as golden brown as you like it.

5. Add pizza toppings, set oven to broil, and put it back in for a couple of minutes just to melt everything together.

Tips

• Once you get the base recipe down, start playing around with it by adding various herbs. My favorite is a combo of rosemary, garlic powder, and mustard powder.

• I originally made this just as a pizza foundation, but I now make it for “breadsticks” as well. Great for healthy dips like my <a href="http://velocity.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/zucchini_hummus"target=“new”>zuchinni hummus.

[center] [/center]

Enjoy. – Chris

PS: For more cooking tips and random rants, follow me on <a href="https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisShugart"target=“new”>Twitter.

What Chris Actually Eats

Note: If cut into tortilla-shaped rounds, it’s fairly foldable. Turkey tacos, anyone?

FYI, I’ve used two kinds of coconut flour. Both work great. Check your local health food store.

Great with tuna!

But of course it shines as a pizza crust.

Mexican pizza shown here.

I like the idea for tacos and breaksticks. Not so much the pizza, the cauliflower is where it’s at for a nice deep dish pizza style/taste :slight_smile:

Last night’s creation using this recipe: alfredo pizza.

Just tried this recipe right now. I used basil and garlic as my spices in the crust, and peppers, onions, fat free mozzarella, and turkey pepperoni as my toppings. It was great.

Oh, and dessert was chocolate blueberry ice cream made out of ice, chocolate Metabolic Drive, frozen blueberries, fat free cottage cheese, cocoa powder, and dark chocolate pb2. Awesome.

Hi Chris,

Where do you stand on cheese as a “health” food? 2 cups of cheese can be over 800 calories. Is there a way to volumize the recipe by using less cheese? Thanks

[quote]panman99 wrote:
Hi Chris,

Where do you stand on cheese as a “health” food? 2 cups of cheese can be over 800 calories. Is there a way to volumize the recipe by using less cheese? Thanks[/quote]

Cheese falls into the “okay” category: it’s virtually carb free and high protein.

Fat-free cheese for two cups is about 360 cals. Part-skim is 480.

And of course you won’t be eating the whole pizza by yourself or in one sitting – if you use the right volumized toppings.

according to the recipe in the OP, about how big is the pizza that you made?

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/7/5/7536d_ORIG-DSCN2560.jpg

It covers a full-sized pizza pan. I’d say it would be called a large at most pizza chains, maybe medium if you don’t spread the dough as much.

My wife and I will split one and be STUFFED.

(Tuna melt version shown above.)

Chris,
I’ve been making the Almond Flour pizza a few times a week. They’re all delicious! Thank you for all of your recipes. For the coconut flour and flax meal, is it really only two tablespoons of each? I am going to make it in about an hour. Just want to make sure…the almond flour pizza called for cups of the product rather then tablespoons. Thanks!

[quote]flamholz5 wrote:
Chris,
I’ve been making the Almond Flour pizza a few times a week. They’re all delicious! Thank you for all of your recipes. For the coconut flour and flax meal, is it really only two tablespoons of each? I am going to make it in about an hour. Just want to make sure…the almond flour pizza called for cups of the product rather then tablespoons. Thanks![/quote]

Yep. Doesn’t take much coconut flour.

There’s also more cheese to help form the foundation with this version.

You’ll love it. Or your money back!

The fact that on a Saturday evening, you’re still helping us reach our fitness goals is a real testament to yourself, T-Nation, and what you all are doing for your members! Thanks!

Breakfast pizza version.

Okay Chris - how did you cook the egg on there? Or did you scramble then add to crust, finish toppings, then melt cheese?

[quote]corstijeir wrote:
Okay Chris - how did you cook the egg on there? Or did you scramble then add to crust, finish toppings, then melt cheese?[/quote]

Scrambled separately.

I’ll post this whole recipe in a future Food Friday blog entry.

BTW chipotle tabasco is awesome :slight_smile:

HOLY SHIT! I am now a believer. Pizza! I made this recipe tonight and ate the entire thing, with 1.25 lbs ground turkey and some peppers/onions on top! And a side of about a pound of green beans. My roommate, who eats nothing but chocolate muffins and fried chicken, agreed that it was damn good!

Does anybody know the macro breakdown of the crust as listed above? Also, Chris, I noticed that my toppings fell off my pizza. Is there a way to get them to stick into the crust better? And can I reduce the amount of cheese from 2 to 1 cups? Possibly downshift the cheese and upshift the flour/flax meal?

Thanks so much for this. I’m still doing a mass building plan, but this completely eliminates my need to cheat. Saturday nights were a quart of ice cream and some cookies. Now I think I’ll have an entire pizza and maybe a salad or something. Why cheat when I can eat this pizza? I mean, PIZZA! YES!