Biotest

Nici's V-Diet Log. 23 Yr old w/ 15 lb to Lose

Hello, everyone! I’m coming to you from work (shh, don’t tell) on Day One of my first V-Diet! I woke up bright and early this morning, downed some HOT-ROX, took the dog on a brisk walk for my first NEPA, took my weight, measurements, and pictures, and scarfed down my first breakfast shake.

I gotta say, that was a hell of a way to start a Monday morning. Here’s some info about me:
I’m a 23-year-old female who is 5’3" and should probably weigh around 115 but instead weighs around 130.

I was down to the low 120s and becoming fairly toned by the end of college in June '09, but have been basically sedentary ever since. I work a mostly-desk job as a chemical engineer in Columbus, OH. I have a dog, and he’s chubby too. (They do say that owners and dogs start to look alike…!)

I’m no stranger to lifting, but it’s been about 6 months since the last time I did it. Today is the first workout day for my V-Diet, and I have no doubt that I will be in a world of hurt tomorrow. My main hobby is belly dancing, and my classes are on Tuesday nights - I’m sure my teacher will be wondering why I’m moving in such a fashion!

The morning walks with the dog will be rather chilly, but it’s definitely the best time of day for me to get in my NEPA. Barney, my 85 lb mutt, gets awfully protective of me when other dogs go by… and nobody else in my Ohio suburb is batty enough to be walking their dog before sunrise in February. It’ll be interesting to see how much weight he loses because of “Mom’s” V-Diet, since he’ll be going on more regular walks.

Anyway, if you made it this far, I thank you for reading my novel. I’ll post up the pictures and measurements from this morning when I get home tonight - right now I just wanted to go ahead and get my log thread started. Day One is smooth sailing so far! :slight_smile:

Good luck! I’m the sadistic bastard that got you into this diet, and now it’s your turn to kill it.

And to everyone else: this is a T-Vixen to be!

Best of luck Nici! On day 6 here…psst…it’s not as bad as they would have you believe!

Seth - I blame you for all of this, you jerk. :slight_smile:
skinnyD - Thanks for the words of encouragement! So far, so good… sorta…

I just had my first workout. The shakes really aren’t going down well. I haven’t been hungry for the last couple, so I’ve really been having to make myself eat them. I think I need to play with the timing a little bit earlier in the day. I do have to say that the chocolate Surge is very delicious - much more delicious than the chocolate protein shake I had earlier (blech). In other news, the workout itself went pretty well. It was my first time back in the gym in about six months, and it felt pretty awesome. I am going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow, but it’ll be the good kind. I have somewhere I need to be very soon, but I’ll post my workout stats, pics, and measurements when I get home later.

It seems odd that I’m dreading the last shake, even though it’ll be a few hours from now.

DAMNIT NOW EVERYONE KNOWS MY NAME RRAWARAAWA

All right. Here we go. Moment of truth.

Got in about 50 minutes of NEPA today, which is about 50 more than I usually get. Go team. I feel good about my workout, considering I haven’t really been in a gym for about six months. I did do a couple alterations to the workout (GASP). I didn’t feel confident on my form for the front squat so I did a back squat, and I definitely did not seen an ab wheel about so I did hand walkouts.
Back squat: 95 lb. 8/6/6 (shaking by the end of each set)
Chin-up: 60 lb assist. 10/6/4 (I will lower the assist next time)
Dumbbell bench press: 20 lb in each hand. 8/7/3/2 (yes, I’m a weakling)
Hand walkouts: 12/8. (I’ll find something better for next time)

Overall, I feel pretty darn good about the workout.

So here’s the ugly part: Day one measurements. I took these this morning, pretty much right after waking up.
Height: 5’3"
Weight: 131.0 lb
Body fat: 23.7%, according to scale
Neck: 13.4"
Chest (fullest part): 36.5"
Chest (under the bust): 32.5"
Waist (smallest part): 31.5"
Waist (largest - just below navel): 36.25"
Hips (largest): 38"
Upper arm: 10" (both)
Upper leg: 23.25" (both)
Ankle-L: 7.75"
Ankle-R: 7.5"

I took the ankle measurements a few times, and as far as I can tell, they’re mismatched. Sweet. I have skinny, yet lopsided ankles.

And here comes the part I’m SUPER ashamed of - the pictures. However, it’s really because I’m ashamed of them that I’m posting them. I’m hoping that by posting them for the world to see, it will give me motivation to stick with it and kick some ass.

Up next we have the Week One photos. I especially hate the side view.

This is definitely some of the worst shape I’ve ever been in, but I suppose everyone has to start somewhere. A bit more background, I suppose-

The bikini I’m wearing there is the one I’m gettin’ skinny for. I know I have enough fat to lose that this V-Diet isn’t going to make me “perfect,” but I want to at least feel more comfortable in it. It looks kinda funny because there’s a little skirt around the bottom which I’ve tucked in so that my entire legs are showing.

The bikini will be worn in Florida in six weeks, where I will be traveling with a couple of friends (including the “mysterious” lt1powered, above. Sorry I killed your incognito-ness, buddy).

Up next, we have a picture of my chunky dog, just for good measure.

This is Barney. (a.k.a. Fatty, ChunkyMutt)

This picture doesn’t do him justice, but trust me when I say that he could stand to lose a few pounds himself. Speaking of which, time for our morning NEPA. We’ll probably only get in about 15 minutes right now and have to do the rest later, but it’s better than nothing.

Best of luck to yeah…i’m currently on day #7 and i am so full all the time that i can’t even drink all 5 shakes that are recommended. I only drink 3 a day…They’re so filling.

I’m only on Day 2, as you can see, but I’m having issues with them being filling as well. I really had to force myself yesterday. If it continues to be this bad, I’m gonna cut out a scoop from my mid-afternoon shake and see if that helps. I’m fairly certain it’s important to have 5 shakes, though, so that your body is constantly being fed. Don’t quote me on that, of course. :slight_smile:

Wasn’t hungry at all for meal 2, but ate it anyway. About an hour till meal 3 and it feels like I just ate meal 2 (even though it was two hours ago). Anyone who tries to say this is a starvation diet should try drinking protein shakes all day. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this satiated for this long in my life.

You could always have more shakes and split up the protein among them. Like for my final shake it’s supposed to be 3 scoops plus the penut butter, so i usually do 2 scoops with my fish oil then like half hour later have one scoop and the penut butter.

That’s a good idea, Nate. I didn’t have to force the shakes down quite as much yesterday, so we’ll see what today brings before I start adjusting.

There are cupcakes in the break room. They have pink icing. It wasn’t difficult to overpower the urge to grab one, but it irritates me that they were there. There are not normally “communal” goodies in there, and that makes twice this week. I feel a bit tested. Also, I’m just kinda grumpy/tired in general from lack of carbs.

Man, I am in a world of hurt from Monday’s workout. I definitely did not ease back in after 6 months of no weightlifting. It’s the good kind of hurt, but that doesn’t stop me from doing a mental “ow… ow… ow… ow…” with every step. Tonight’s workout will be interesting, I’m sure. I may have to do it at a weird time, though, because the president of our office has taken on another job so we’re having a goodbye bowling shindig. I’m sure the free beer will be flowing and the appetizers will be piled high, but I’ll be good. I told a couple coworkers with whom I’m a little “closer” about what I’m doing and they seemed very supportive, so I don’t think I’ll get too much pressure to eat/drink overall.

Day three begins.

Yeah I know how you feel. Yesterday I was watching the season premiere of Lost with my friends and they were all eating Domino’s. Hunger hasn’t been a big problem so far, because the shakes are rather filling, but I felt like I was being tortured and it put me in a fowl mood.

Yeah, it’s difficult. I sat down to watch TV last night and it just didn’t feel right without a glass of wine or a snack. It’s amazing how much food and drink rule my life. I coped by drinking my shake and then eating my peanut butter by itself. 210 calories is a lot of peanut butter, it turns out, so I put it on a plate and was having small scoops of it during my TV show. I’d been having a lot of sodium cravings earlier in the day, and it helped with that as well.

Yeah I find myself licking the spoon clean after scooping the peanut butter into the shake. It’s sad, but it really helps kick some of the cravings.

I couldn’t really taste the peanut butter in the shake, so I think I’m going to continue eating mine separately. The last shake isn’t gonna happen at all tonight, though. It’s 10:30, I just got back from my workout, and I am absolutely beat. I’m drinking my Surge, maybe dipping out a bit of peanut butter (but not the whole serving), and then hitting the hay.

Dear sweet goodness, this chocolate Surge is amazing. It’s like heaven in my mouth after a day of rather icky low-carb protein shakes. This stuff tastes like brownie batter. <3

Anyway, workout stats:
Reverse lunge: 15x2 lb. 12/8/10/5/5 (need to remember to watch my posture; some lower back pain)
Bent-over row - barbell: 45 lb. 25/10/5 (Definitely upping the weight next time!)
Push press - barbell: 45 lb. 10/8/7/5/5/5
Barbell curl: 45 lb. 8/5/5/4/4/4/3/3/4
Reverse crunch - floor: 20/12/8

Not too shabby, I guess. I noted the improvements I need to make so that it can be even more effective next time. I contemplated finding myself a lighter barbell for the curls, then got mad at myself and finished them with the heavier weight. I expect that my arms shall be quite dead tomorrow.

Surge is gone. This peanut butter tastes especially delicious after that sweet “dessert.” Today was a rough one, folks. I was awfully cranky and tired, so I’m glad it ended on a good note. We’ll see what tomorrow brings. One day at a time.

Well, folks, it is nearing the end of Day Five and I am snowed in.

Day Four went much easier than Day Three. In fact, day 3 was a bit hellish. I think my body is now finally getting used to the lack of carbs, though. I was so, so cranky on day 3. I still am a little, but I think that’s partially because of the fact that I can’t leave my house.

I was supposed to work out today, but, well, see previous statements. I’m hoping my little Civic can make it out of the garage and to the gym tomorrow; otherwise, I’m not sure what I’m gonna do. Tomorrow will probably also be my first HSM. Weather permitting, my parents will be coming over and we’re going to grill either chicken breasts or lean steaks, and some veggies. I am so so excited about it! I have been craving asparagus, which makes zero sense at all, considering I’ve never been a huge fan.

I played in the snow with my dog today as my NEPA. I’m not sure how long we were out there, but it was a pretty fun time. Perhaps I’ll post a picture in a bit.

Anyway, now I’m just rambling because I’m bored. Day Five coming to an end. I think it’s time to curl up under the Snuggie and watch a movie.

Just finished my first V-Burn. My, that is quite the sadistic little challenge. I kept pausing between exercises trying not to throw up, and even went to the bathroom and stood for a bit when I was all done, just in case. Thankfully I did not end up throwing up, because we all know that we don’t have that many calories to spare on this diet!!

My total time was 32:48 for the challenge. However, I forgot to do the lunges in the first set, so you can probably add a good 30 seconds to that time for my REAL time.
Splits are as follows:
Split 1: 00:04:01 (but forgot lunges)
Split 2: 00:08:41
Split 3: 00:14:41
Split 4: 00:21:01 (utterly dying by this point)
Split 5: 00:26:53
Split 6: 00:32:48

Not too bad for my first challenge, I guess? I’m not sure how much I want to improve on time so much as on form and the not-throwing-up aspect. My hand walkouts were atrocious from the beginning, my pike push-ups were pathetic, and there was no way I was clapping between regular push-ups. I tried on the first one and nearly landed on my nose. Maybe I’ll try for one clap each set next week. Also, my first set of push-ups was the regular kind (on toes) but beyond that I switched to knees. I think next week I’ll try for every other set being on my toes.

HSM tomorrow. My parents couldn’t make it out today due to the snowpocalypse. This means I was trapped inside all day (don’t own a snow shovel yet) and couldn’t make it into the gym for workout 3. Not sure how I’m gonna work that in yet. Maybe I’ll go tomorrow night after my parents leave. Eh. We’ll see.

Hope everyone’s weekend is going splendidly.

Snowpocalypse is something, isn’t it? I spent a few hours shoveling out today. Luckily it wasn’t a workout day, but I think I definitely pushed the limits of “non-exercise” physical activity. Burned a ton more calories than on a typical day’s NEPA, that’s for damn sure. I’m absolutely drained, and feeling like I actually wish I had MORE shakes scheduled for today (first time for that, that’s for sure).

Good time on your VBurn! Beat my first by like 9 minutes…my big problem was the squat thrusts - those took me forever. And I definitely had to cut out the “clap” part of the push-ups. Sadistic is a great way to describe it.

Best of luck getting that third workout in.

Hang in there! You are doing a splendid job. I have been snowed in as well and had to shovel through 30 inches of snow which led to a huge loss of much needed calories. Needless to say, I was unable to cope and ended up cheating with two chocolate chip cookies. This is just one minor setback that I will correct. Stay strong and continue with the good work.