Biotest

Newbie Questions About Velocity Training

Hi Chris!

I am currently on Day 4 of the V-Diet, and have survived through the first three days of hunger and workouts. Yay, only 25 more days to go!

My newbie question is about the weight training: I started this diet to get into better health physically and to get stronger, after not doing any rigorous exercise for 10 months due to medical issues. Previously, I used to train using a strength circuit program 2-3 times a week with exercises such as squats, lunges, bent over rows, bicep curls, shoulder press, chest fly (with weights and kettle bell upto 20 lbs) (interspersed with 1-2 minutes of intense cardio between circuits).

Apart from strength circuits, I did cardio HIIT almost daily and hot vinyasa yoga once a week. Using this routine and low carb diet, I lost 50 lbs in 5 months. But I have done none of these exercises in the last 10 months, except for general walking.

I have started with the Beginner Velocity Training and have completed the first two weight workouts this week.

My concern is that the weights I have been using are too low (15 lb, 20 lb per arm, sometimes even 10 lb), and nowhere near what most people doing this program report. However, even with these weights, I find the last sets hard to complete, and switch to lower weights.

1. Will my goal to build muscle and get stronger at the same time reducing body fat, be compromised because my weight training isn’t hard enough?

2. How can I increase the weights that I use for the Velocity Training without sustaining any injuries?

3. How can I make my training more effective?

4. I am doing all of this at home, with dumbbells and other small equipment. Would you recommend that I work with someone individually who could teach me these types of exercises in a professional setting?

5. Velocity training for 3 days a week is set up as 3 weight lifting exercises and a bodyweight/core strengthening one. Should I add more weight lifting exercises, since I am not able to lift very heavy loads right now?

Also, I am a woman, but I am not afraid of lifting weights, in fact I do want to increase my muscle mass, and my goal is to decrease my body fat to 23% in the next two months. Like other T-Nation members, I aspire to lift weights in the 100s and 200s of lbs someday soon.

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions! Your mentorship is much appreciated!

1. If you’re following the workout plan correctly, and it’s hard for you, then yes you’ll get results. This is the part most people get wrong:

Select a weight that allows you to hit the target repetitions on the FIRST SET of that exercise. You’ll probably do fewer reps on subsequent sets. Keep going until you hit the designated number, no matter how many sets it takes.

For example, if it say 8-9 reps, you should choose a weight that you can get that on but NOT 10 reps on the first set. Then you use that same weight for the rest of the sets until you 40 total reps for that exercise. The number of sets it takes doesn’t matter, and the reps will go down as you fatigue. So keep doing sets of 8, 7, 6, 5, 5, 5, etc. until you hit 40 (or whatever that workout calls for.)

Get that part right and the plan will work.

1. Use good form. The V Diet section has videos for each exercise.

2. See #1.

3. You’re greatly limiting yourself training at home, unless you invest in all the equipment you need. A one or two-time session with a trainer may help, if the trainer is any good.

Thank you very much Chris!