Biotest

Newbie Needs Training Advice

I plan on beginning the V-Diet on Monday, and I had a training question. I will be doing the advanced workout because I have been lifting 3 or 4 days a week for about 4 years. The gym I work out in is a small local gym that has weight bars, but no squat rack, nor will I necessarily have a spot available. I guess I will have to do my overhead squats with the Smith machine. What do you think about that? Does it make a difference? I am female, by the way, if that matters.

Thanks!

Rather than the Smith, use dumbbells. A “free” squat is better than a machine squat.

I would recommend you stay away from the smith machine as a general rule. Don’t know your exact situation, but if you have options, I would suggest you switch gyms. Doesn’t sound like a very good place to workout at if you can’t squat.
What type of weightlifting program(s) have you been doing for the last 4 years? Have you been making steady progress? What are your goals?

I live in a small town–only 3500 people–and this gym is a pretty well-equipped, but there are space limitations. I have been working out here for a little over a year. I was driving 30 miles (one way) to a nearby city a few times a week to work out at Gold’s. I worked with an amazing trainer for 1 1/2 years there who has done the V-Diet himself to shed the weight he put on while prepping for a powerlifting meet. I do have the option of using the weight room of the high school at which I teach–there are plenty of squat racks there! But no ab wheel, which is part of the same workout.

I lift pretty heavy for a 44-year-old woman. I have been doing full-body superset workouts lately in order to build muscle and burn fat. I run quite a bit, anywhere from 2.5 to 5 miles at a time. Sometimes I do a bleacher workout at the high school track since it’s right there. I usually take only one complete day off a week.

I had beenmaking good progress, but I have out on about 10 pounds that I can’t seem to get rid of. Some of my clothes don’t fit well anymore! When I started lifting regularly a few years ago, I weighed 185 pounds and I am 5’3". I got down to 132 lbs with very little body fat.

Great job so far, blissteach!

BTW, you can pick up an ab wheel at any sporting goods store for under $7. Worth having.

[quote]blissteach wrote:
–there are plenty of squat racks there! But no ab wheel, which is part of the same workout.
[/quote]

If that is your only obstacle, go buy an ab wheel. You can get one for about 15 bucks. Squat racks are much more expensive. If you are contemplating the relative importance of squats to ab roll-outs for transforming your physique, there really isn’t even a comparison. If you can’t get a hold of an ab wheel for whatever reason, do hand walkouts.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I was indeed thinking about buying my own ab wheel. Can’t wait to get started tomorrow, but concerned about having the willpower to stick with it. I still need to take measurements and before pics.