Biotest

NEPA Walks

Today I did my first treadmill NEPA walk. I set it to 2.0 incline and 4.0 mph. I cannot power walk at 4.0, I have to slightly jog. Should I slightly jog at 4.0 or move it down to 3.8 mph where I can power walk?

Slow it down. Keep it fast but “non-cardio.”

Most men walk at 3.5 on average, so faster than that. But everyone is a little different, plus treadmills vary in measurements. Some can be off.

Just think “brisk walk” and forget what the numbers say.

I know you’re not suppose to jog on this diet, but is there a maximum to set the incline to for walking? I generally walk first thing in the morning 2 - 4 miles (35 min - 70 min) at 6.0 - 8.0 incline at 3.5 mph.

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:
I know you’re not suppose to jog on this diet, but is there a maximum to set the incline to for walking? I generally walk first thing in the morning 2 - 4 miles (35 min - 70 min) at 6.0 - 8.0 incline at 3.5 mph.[/quote]

The higher incline the tougher it’s going to be. A very high incline can actually make your hams and glutes sore as if you’d weight-trained. I’d keep it below that level for NEPA. If you’re sucking wind and sweating a puddle, it’s cardio, not NEPA.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
The higher incline the tougher it’s going to be. A very high incline can actually make your hams and glutes sore as if you’d weight-trained. I’d keep it below that level for NEPA. If you’re sucking wind and sweating a puddle, it’s cardio, not NEPA.

[/quote]

I usually do 3.5 miles at 3.5 mph 4.0 incline (60 min) or 2 miles 3.5 mph 6.0 incline (35 min) each day. I am not sweating a puddle or sucking air, but my heart rate is between 135 - 150. Is there a certain heart rate target I should keep in mind to keep the NEPA non-cardio?

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[/quote]

I usually do 3.5 miles at 3.5 mph 4.0 incline (60 min) or 2 miles 3.5 mph 6.0 incline (35 min) each day. I am not sweating a puddle or sucking air, but my heart rate is between 135 - 150. Is there a certain heart rate target I should keep in mind to keep the NEPA non-cardio?[/quote]

I’ve never paid much attention to measuring heart rate. Since the whole “fat burning zone” thing is pretty much myth (or at least short-sighted) I just don’t pay attention to it. I know when my heart rate is normal, slightly elevated, or thumping like a 1988 Tommy Lee drum solo. I think most people do. NEPA is slightly elevate – fast walk, or normal pace on slight incline.

When formulating the V-Diet, I did all my NEPA on the road. Just bundled up and hit the street. Easy pleasey. No need to overthink it.

Edit: After further research across the internet, I believe I have my answer. Thanks for the post though!

How about going excessive on NEPA? As in, I’m planning a hiking trip for a weekend. I’m thinking something like:

wake up: coffe
2hours of walking with a backpack (~30pounds) with fairly low heart-rate
shake+ rest, maybe another coffee. Lots of water
2hours walk
shake and lots of water
2hours walk
shake and lots of water
2hours walk
HSM, no more walking for the day. Low activity/rest, moar shakes later

is this overkill? Should I have a bigger HSM?

It’s really hard to overdo NEPA. It’s just “moving.” No worries.

Don’t overthink the NEPA folks, move at a comfortable pace. If you start panting or breathing too hard, slow down.

@Rockout - The only thing that comes to mind is with that much walking, maybe replacing an MD shake with a MAG-10 may be easier on the stomach, or promote a little more fat loss.

[quote]robstein wrote:
Don’t overthink the NEPA folks, move at a comfortable pace. If you start panting or breathing too hard, slow down.

@Rockout - The only thing that comes to mind is with that much walking, maybe replacing an MD shake with a MAG-10 may be easier on the stomach, or promote a little more fat loss. [/quote]

Thanks, I will consider this :slight_smile: