Biotest

Nearing 72 Years Old And Losing Muscle

I have been weight training for over 52 years, of which I competed in bodybuilding and powerlifting competitively over 3 decades. I did experience an autoimmune disease when I was 48 that dropped me out of all competition. Over the following 12 years I steadily made progress in strength and muscle size.

It seemed that on my 60th year I began losing strength at a slow steady pace. Soon after I noticed a slight reduction of muscle. I would guess that I have lost about 15 lbs of muscle to this point (72 years old) from my 60th birthday. I have tried numerous supplements and on TR therapy (100mg/5days). A week ago I started Micro-PA, but it is too soon to notice a difference, as yet.

About three years ago I found it difficult (impossible) to keep fat off my belly. Trying GoLo the past 8 weeks: I don’t notice much change, if any.
I am 5’11" and 199 lbs.

Do you have any recommendations to slow the loss of muscle (sarcopenia)? I am taking about everything I can think of. Is there a training style that worsens my situation? I have always liked to lift heavy weights. The good news about getting weaker is that I seldom get injured.

Areas where there is gross noticeable sarcopenia:

• medial gastrocnemius
  • pectorals
  • both heads of the vastus musccle

There is also a general noticeable sarcopenia throughout.

Thanks for any input,
Terry Brooks

Really the biggest thing is to keep the protein intake cranked pretty high, same as always. Unless there’s a specific diagnosed wasting disease (which would indicate a much bigger problem), it’s just about basic muscle preservation and repair.

Mag-10 is a fast-absorbing protein that’s optimally and efficiently absorbed. 1-2 servings per day, either after training or between meals, would reinforce your daily protein with a high-quality source.

Not particularly, other than following a well-designed program that allows for plenty of recovery time. If you’re still lifting heavy or heavy-ish, I’d scale back on the volume in each workout to help recovery even further, cutting down the sets and/or reps.

Micro-PA is definitely a great supplement and it kinda compounds the effects from a good training plan. Stick with it, get your training and diet dialed in, and you should be on track.

Are you doing any kind of cardio on a regular basis? Even a few sessions a week, either after lifting or on non-lifting days, can make a big difference in staying lean.

This article talks about some more points and you’re already covering some of them:

You might also want to post some general training/diet questions in T Nation’s Over-35 Lifter forum. Guys over there are in their 40s, 50s, and 60s ('ya know, youngsters :wink: ) and they talk about the strategies they use. Plus, the experience you bring would definitely be an asset and I’m sure guys would love to pick your brain.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.