Biotest

Nature's Spaghetti

Spaghetti squash: This stuff blew my mind when I first tried it.

Nutty and a little sweet, with the texture of al dente pasta noodles. At 40 calories per cup and around 10g of carbs (with a few of those coming from fiber), you can eat pretty much all you want without worries. Ridiculously easy to make too. Check it out.

[center]Basic Spaghetti Squash [/center]

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2. Split your squash in half lengthwise. This is sometimes a calorie-burning activity, so get your biggest knife ready and warm-up first. (Some people boil it first. I just man through it with my big Shun.)

3. Dig out the seeds and little strands. I trim the edges with a small knife, than rip out the middle like Freddy Krueger teaching a pesky teenager a lesson.

4. Place facedown on a cookie sheet or baking pan. Toss in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes.

5. Allow to cool a bit, then “comb” the flesh out with a fork. If it’s done, it’ll shred easily and look like spaghetti.

Seasoning Ideas: I go simple: pink sea salt, fresh ground pepper, a hit of garlic, maybe a pat of omega-3 Smart Balance butter. But feel free to add low-sugar pasta sauce and anything else you want.

Stepping Stone Nutrition: If you’re not quite ready to give up your pasta, try to at least use the flax-seed infused variety, then mix it 50/50 with spaghetti squash to volumize the meal and add real nutrition to the crappy pasta. It’s a step in the right direction.

Try it and let me know what you think!

This stuff changed my life as well. You should have seen how excited I was the first time I tried it.

It’s now a favorite of mine, and a bit of a staple around the house. I usually get some Classico Spicy Red Pepper sauce and add some ground turkey or beef to it for a nice topping.

Spaghetti squash is totally awesome, but I also wanted to throw in a shout out to a noodle I just discovered. They’re called Kelp Noodles, and a whole 12-oz package of them is only 18 calories - fantastic for pasta/noodle dishes without the extra carbs/calories. I bought mine from Sea Tangle, but from what I understand, Whole Foods often sells them as well:

http://www.kelpnoodles.com/products_seatangle_noodles.html

I’ve made healthy shrimp pad thai, regular old spaghetti with tomato sauce, and peanut sesame noodles with the stuff and haven’t been disappointed.

They don’t need to be cooked at all - they can be eaten completely raw - but if you do try them, the thing to remember is to give them a good soak (30+ min) in water and lemon/lime juice or water and tamari. If you don’t, they have kind of a weird (not altogether bad) crunch to them. The soak allows them to soften up. Letting them sit for 5 minutes in the sauce you cooked them in softens them the rest of the way so they’re EXACTLY the texture and consistency of the asian-style glass noodles.

I find that microwaving spaghetti squash works well too. I just stab it a few times (so it won’t explode), and microwave it for 10 minutes. I love this with either chicken cacciatore or just a plan meat sauce. I find myself not really missing the pasta at all.

Can you cook spaghetti squash and then store it for a while to reheat later?!?

[quote]Taff85 wrote:
Can you cook spaghetti squash and then store it for a while to reheat later?!?[/quote]

yes. I usually freeze half of it and put the other half in the fridge to eat over the next couple days.

[quote]n8tive wrote:

[quote]Taff85 wrote:
Can you cook spaghetti squash and then store it for a while to reheat later?!?[/quote]

yes. I usually freeze half of it and put the other half in the fridge to eat over the next couple days.[/quote]

Seconded.

Microwaves up very well. And one squash goes a LONG way.

Sweet, i need to find somewhere in the UK that sells this!

I made this for dinner last night and it was awesome!! Best thing about it was my girls loved it too. My 5 year old was a bit suspicious because she busted me cutting the squash in half. I told her to go back outside and play. I was able to cook the squash and gut it without her seeing anything else. While we were eating though, she asked me where I got these noodles. I said “at Safeway”. She then asked if they came in a package (she was definitely on to me), I said just eat…you like it right? She said she loved it and finished her plate. Yay! Don’t have to feel guilty about feeding the family spaghetti anymore!

Kelli that is great!

I love the stuff personally. A spicy tomato sauce, some smoked turkey sausage, and salt/pepper is all I use for mine.

Add on a salad made from spinach/arugula and then maybe some roasted tomatoes ( yes I eat them a lot ) and another veggie if i’m making for more than myself. If it’s just me I do the noodles, sauce, and meat and eat a lot of it!

[quote]kellikeyes wrote:
I made this for dinner last night and it was awesome!! Best thing about it was my girls loved it too. My 5 year old was a bit suspicious because she busted me cutting the squash in half. I told her to go back outside and play. I was able to cook the squash and gut it without her seeing anything else. While we were eating though, she asked me where I got these noodles. I said “at Safeway”. She then asked if they came in a package (she was definitely on to me), I said just eat…you like it right? She said she loved it and finished her plate. Yay! Don’t have to feel guilty about feeding the family spaghetti anymore! [/quote]

Same with my kids they love the squash and always want seconds. I seem to have to ration a bit on it, I know that sounds crazy. Maybe I just need to make 2 at a time, they seriously will eat it like candy.

I find the leftover ( if you even have any ) can be heated in a skillet and then eaten with breakfast! Throw in a few pecans or walnuts with the noodles and mmm

WHo knew squash could be so good??

I’ve been wondering when you’d write about spaghetti squash.

My fiancee has been making this for us for awhile now, and I agree, it’s phenomenal.

You can even toss the two halves in the microwave for ten minutes or so if you’re rushed (or hate your oven for some reason).

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
I find that microwaving spaghetti squash works well too. I just stab it a few times (so it won’t explode), and microwave it for 10 minutes. I love this with either chicken cacciatore or just a plan meat sauce. I find myself not really missing the pasta at all.[/quote]

Oops, I see you beat me to it. Yeah, I just hack it in half and toss it in.

[quote]SBT wrote:
I’ve been wondering when you’d write about spaghetti squash.

My fiancee has been making this for us for awhile now, and I agree, it’s phenomenal.

You can even toss the two halves in the microwave for ten minutes or so if you’re rushed (or hate your oven for some reason).[/quote]

I hate my oven when it decides not to work properly. Luckily my toaster oven can usually pitch in and help. It fits an entire spaghetti squash!

Here’s a shot of a spaghetti squash dish I made tonight with my girlfriend.

Grilled Chicken, Feta Cheese, Sundried Tomatoes, Sauteed Onions and Tomatoes, and Black Olives

It was pretty solid!

[quote]Taylor1034 wrote:
Here’s a shot of a spaghetti squash dish I made tonight with my girlfriend.

Grilled Chicken, Feta Cheese, Sundried Tomatoes, Sauteed Onions and Tomatoes, and Black Olives

It was pretty solid![/quote]

Looks good!

Does it matter what kind of squash? i.e butternut squash. Iknow it is spaghetti squash and I don’t want to sound bumb but I have a butternut squash here and am wondering if it anyone has tried it this way. Regardless, I like squash and if it did not turn out like spaghetti I would put some butter on it and eat away.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/9/2/92c44_ORIG-DSCN2129.jpg

[quote]Rousse22 wrote:
Does it matter what kind of squash? i.e butternut squash. Iknow it is spaghetti squash and I don’t want to sound bumb but I have a butternut squash here and am wondering if it anyone has tried it this way. Regardless, I like squash and if it did not turn out like spaghetti I would put some butter on it and eat away.[/quote]

Butternut squash is great, but only spaghetti squash naturally shreds into “noodles.” I make “fries” with butternut squash. See pic.