Biotest

My V-Diet Thread - by RichardI

Well, after much reading, research and deliberation, I’ve decided to take the plunge and tackle the v-diet. I’ve been training hard and eating well for quite some time, and I’ve gone from 14.7% bodyfat down to 12.6%.

However, progress has really slowed up, and I can’t face a lengthy wait to get some decent visible abs. At only 5’11’/82kg i’ve not got too much to lose, but this will hopefully get me to under 10% bf, and help to change my eating habits and tastes in the long term.

I’ve spent this week doing the intermediate training plan, getting used to the exercises and identifying what weights I should be starting at. I’m not used to short rests when training, and have found this to be the hardest thing.

Friday’s definetely hardest - spewed my guts this morning :confused: Got all my supplements ready (for those also in the UK, I managed to source all the products required at www.Bodyactive-Online.co.uk.

I plan to post all my mesurements and progress (hopefully) on this thread. Hopefully, this extra pressure and feeling of accountability will help me through.

I do have two questions:

• I have to cycle to and from work at the moment, which is about 25 minutes each way, not too strenuous. Is this and a half hour walk enough to cover the daily NEPA? and;
  • Is it ok to change the front squats to normal squats?

Starting from Monday, hopefully I can shake off the flu before then!

The only stuff i’m going to consume over the next 4 weeks (excl. weekly SHM)

[quote]RichardI wrote:

I do have two questions:

• I have to cycle to and from work at the moment, which is about 25 minutes each way, not too strenuous. Is this and a half hour walk enough to cover the daily NEPA? and;
  • Is it ok to change the front squats to normal squats?

[/quote]

1. Yes.

2. Front squats hit you differently and fit with the overall plan better. Why do you want to swap them exactly?

Hi Chris,
I just find front squats a very awkward exercise, but I you think they’re much better in combination with the diet i’ll persevere with them.
Thanks,
Richard

RichardI,
Hey man, goodluck with the V-Diet. Once you get going and fight through the 1st couple days of cravings you will be fine. Also, once you learn and get used to the front squats you will love them. Its a great exercise so just hang with them and you will be hooked in no time!

Hi Coach

I wondered what your thoughts were regarding how long one should adhere to fat loss programmes before switching to hypertrophy mode.
I realise that may seem akin to how long is a ball of string and that it largely depends on the goals of the individual, etc.
However I wondered whether you had a general bodyfat percentage equation you work to, e.g. get to at least 10% then switch to lean mass programme allowing no more thn 2% fat gain before swtiching back, etc.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JB

[quote]RichardI wrote:
Hi Chris,
I just find front squats a very awkward exercise, but I you think they’re much better in combination with the diet i’ll persevere with them.
Thanks,
Richard[/quote]

Front vs. back squats won’t make much of a difference with the diet and the fat loss, but the workout program itself is balanced to hit the whole body appropriately, so front squats fit that aspect better.

Regardless, front squats are awesome; they just take a bit to get used to. I like to use the Sting Ray device to make them more comfortable, but there are other variations to try: arms crossed (bodybuilding style), Olympic style, and Olympic style with straps.

We have some articles and pics of those variations in our archives. Here’s the strap variation above.

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:
Hi Coach

I wondered what your thoughts were regarding how long one should adhere to fat loss programmes before switching to hypertrophy mode.
I realise that may seem akin to how long is a ball of string and that it largely depends on the goals of the individual, etc.
However I wondered whether you had a general bodyfat percentage equation you work to, e.g. get to at least 10% then switch to lean mass programme allowing no more thn 2% fat gain before swtiching back, etc.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JB[/quote]

Yes, very tricky question, and there’s some individual variation to consider.

Personally, I go with the thoughts of Dr. Berardi and Coach Poliquin in that it’s never a good idea to “bulk” if you’re already carrying around a lot of fat. You’ll just add a whole lot more fat and not that much muscle. The ratio just stinks.

I don’t like to toss out body fat percentage numbers much because most people aren’t measuring their body fat correctly anyway, but generally speaking, I think that excess fat should be dropped first before a mass diet is attempted. The muscle:fat gain ratio will be better.

Very roughly speaking, I think someone should be 10-12% or lower in body fat before bulking. How “fat” should they get before cutting again? Well, I don’t think it’s necessary to get fat just to gain muscle. Generally, I go my the mirror rather than the calipers or scale here.

There are just so many psychological components involved, the whole issue is muddled. For example, I know dozens of fat guys who think they’re “oh, about 12% body fat.” They think they look muscular but they just look fat (and are probably more like 20% body fat.) But the moment they diet and lose some of the bulk (not muscle loss, but fat and water weight) they panic because they’re getting “smaller.” Even if it’s just fat loss all they know is they’re not “big” anymore. The fact that they look more muscular is lost on them. So, given all this, even going by the mirror is tricky.

All that said, I guess my summary is 1) Don’t bulk if you already have a gut and love handles and 2) There’s no reason to get fat just to gain muscle. You may not be able to have a shredded 6-pack on a mass phase, but there’s no reason to just eat like crap and get fat either.

swg0405,
Thanks for the encouragement, can’t wait to get started.

I’m gonna go witht eh front squats, don’t want to start changing elements of the diet/programmee - stick to it exactly and hopefully get some fantastic results like all the others i’ve read about over the last month.

My PB values per 100g are 20.2g fat (9g sats), 7.3 fibre, 0.4 sodium, 1g salt. What constitutes a serving - i’ve seen 1tbsp, 2 tbsp and 30g over the forum.
At the moment i’ve planned 1 tbsp PB and 1 tbsp flax in my last shake of the day.

I’ve also got excel sheets of my weekly eating/supplement schedule and monthly intermediate training plan, if anyone wants me to email them either of them, just let me know.

Can you overdo the NEPA walks? i.e. what if I were to walk and hour or more, and do my cycle to and from work?

[quote]RichardI wrote:
Can you overdo the NEPA walks? i.e. what if I were to walk and hour or more, and do my cycle to and from work?
[/quote]

We get this Q a lot. I really don’t believe it’s possible to overdo NEPA. In our case, we’re just talking about fast walking or slightly inclined walking.

So my usual advice is to get the minimum for sure, and if you feel like it, get some more.

Now, all that said, NEPA does not mean strapping on a weighted vest, cranking up the incline on the treadmill to 15, and “walking” for two hours. That = hard ass cardio, not NEPA. So, there are limits, but not many if following the guidelines outlines at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity/the_official_vdiet_workouts

Good luck with the diet Richard. I finish up tommrow and have had great results.

For PB 32 g or two tbsp is one serving (make sure you measure its easy to overdo it)

If I were you i’d add the NEPA in when possible. The goal is to increase your daily activity level and you previously were already riding your bike. I too ride my bike to work everyday(but didn’t count this towards my NEPA.) I have found the more NEPA I get in the better results I get.

I’m used to going to the gym at night now - this is normally when I hit the cardio, so I should easily be able to jump in for an hour walk before cycling home.

I’ve just been out for my last meal - a nice Sunday roast. Protein, Surge and supps are all ready for the morning, and freshly filled ice cube trays in the freezer. Can’t wait to get tomorrow under my belt and get on the way.

Cheers for the advice and kind thoughts guys. I’ll let you know how tomorrow goes :confused:

Jesus fuck, mother of Christ… really did not expect it to be this hard. 1st shake this morning - minging. Training was good - really enjoyed it, but the Surge, way too sweet and sickly, yuk. Then, every shake since has got progressively worse and i’ve done my best not to spew. But, despite some strong craving, not touched any food, but really worried about whether I can cope with the shakes. Hunger has come and gone all day.
Hopefully I can acquire a taste for 'em.

Don’t know how you are making them, but try some or all of the following:

mix the flavors-cho/ban, cho/straw, cho/van, van/straw, straw/ban, etc

mix things in: Instant coffe/van, cinnamon and anything…my fave: 1.5 scoops banana, .5 scoops chocolate, 2 tbsp flax, few shakes of cinnamon (tastes like banana nut bread)

make sure to use the blender and get the ice really crushed up, it makes a ton of difference

Hey Richard, it sounds like the 1st day was a bit brutal. Just hang in there man! In all honesty, the shakes are great compared to what else is out there and once you get used to the sweetness and taste its not bad at all. I have had the unfortunate experience of tasting and using some horrible shakes and these rank way up there so hopefully you will acquire a taste for them.

The cravings are a bitch the 1st few days so be ready to battle those but just keep thinking of the results you will achieve if you stick with the diet.

The cravings get easier and you will find that your not really hungry but the cravings make you think you are and that is one of the big things this diet helps you with is realizing the difference between the two and also gaining some insane self control! Stay with it man and battle!!! Goodluck.

Oh, by the way I am a dork for quotes but I use this one as motivation on a regular basis so maybe it will run through your head also and be a help…
“We cannot become what we need to be by remaining what we are”…Max Depree

[quote]RichardI wrote:
Jesus fuck, mother of Christ… really did not expect it to be this hard. 1st shake this morning - minging. Training was good - really enjoyed it, but the Surge, way too sweet and sickly, yuk. Then, every shake since has got progressively worse and i’ve done my best not to spew. But, despite some strong craving, not touched any food, but really worried about whether I can cope with the shakes. Hunger has come and gone all day.
Hopefully I can acquire a taste for 'em.[/quote]

Hey Richard,I know exactly how you feel,Im on day 16 and for the first week I wanted to give up every day.The second week all the sudden it wasnt so bad, I actually like the taste of the shakes now where in the first week the thought of them made me sick.Hang in there it definitly does get easier.

Polsen - trying not to mix too much yet - trying to save some variety for later on. I can’t find tang anywhere. Stupidly bought loads of chocolate based on prior experience with other shakes. Not even tried my straw/banana/orange flavours yet.

swg0405 - It’s not just the cravings, stomach yearns for food from about 10.30am till 4/5pm. Still trying to work out the best times for shakes. Split one yesterday around main lunchtime shake, but just went for 2 full shakes today. Last night I didn’t feel like my shake at all - so need to maybe change it to a half, and have the other half earlier in the day. Lovin’ the quote mate.

Got another from a mate today (who’s gonna do diet in a few months) - “If you can tan a shake when all about you are eating steak and calling you a queer, if you can fill an unforgiving minute with 60 seconds worth of nepa, then your body will be shredded and you will know your abs my son.” The boy’s a motivational genius!

Dunn58 - I hope so mate. How’s you results?

Did an hour walk into work this morning, and about to cycle back home now, unfortunately don’t get much nepa at work. Is it an absolute no no to do any weight training or ab exercises above the recommended Waterbury plan? For the last 6 months i’ve trained 12 times a week (mon-fri weights am/cardio pm and sat-sun cardio). Just feel like I could do another weights session at the weekend - even a girly body pump class (which kills me btw).

Cheers for the best wishes chaps.

Since you have trouble with the last shake of the day maybe you should try spacing the ones you have between 1030& 4 closer, if thats when you have the most trouble? I find the morning is the easiest so I space them far apart and then have them closer together when I feel the weekest 6-10 at night.

If you can just get through the first week you will be so happy when you weigh/measure yourself you wont want to stop trust me.The first week I lost almost 6 pounds and that was enough motivation for me to keep going, keep up the hard work.

[quote]RichardI wrote:
Is it an absolute no no to do any weight training or ab exercises above the recommended Waterbury plan? For the last 6 months i’ve trained 12 times a week (mon-fri weights am/cardio pm and sat-sun cardio). Just feel like I could do another weights session at the weekend - even a girly body pump class (which kills me btw).
.[/quote]

During the physique clinic Chad gave Gus the option of 5 minutes at the end of the workout to do whatever he wanted calves, abs etc… While I was on the diet I threw in an ab circuit at the end of most workouts.

Richard, just checking in to see how the diet is coming along. I hope the shakes, hunger and cravings have gotten better and you were able to stick it out man. All the suffering you go through in the 1st week is well worth the results you get from this entire experience. Hopefully you have been able to stick it out and have seen some changes!