Biotest

My V-Diet Progress Journal

i do most of my posting (which isn’t much) on the Figure Athlete forums, but wanted to replicate my journal here where there is more overall activity with the V-Diet.

a brief intro:

My name is Lauren, and I am a 35 year old woman currently living in Bozeman, MT. I have been an athlete on some level most of my life; training as a figure skater until age 11(had to stop due to torn meniscus in my knees after another skater pushed me on the ice), shot put and discus in junior high and part of high school, body building in my 20’s (including the body for life challenge), and then crossfit style training in my early 30’s.

For the past year, I battled cancer so I have lost most of my strength through treatment, which ended in June. With the doctor’s approval, I started boxing training mid July, and am completely loving it!

I have rebuilt some of my strength, and have a much more solid core (and a killer right cross. Now I am wanting to kick-start my lifting again.

I have finally squared away all my planning and started the program yesterday. I will be posting my training logs, food/shake and supplement logs, my stats, losses, and pictures. I would greatly appreciate any input as to how I can make this program the MOST effective. I am starting with the recommended beginners workout (slightly modified to fit my home gym), so if you have any suggestions for exercises that would be more beneficial in a given area, please let me know!

So, yesterday I got up, weighed myself and took all my measurements:

weight - 143.2 lbs
largest part of the belly - 30"
hips - 39"
upper leg (thigh)- 22 1/2"
lower leg (calf)- 13 1/2"
ankles: 7 3/4"
chest (over boobs) - 38"
chest (under boobs) - 33 1/2"
shoulders - 42"
upper arm - 11 3/4"
neck - 13 1/2"

(will provide pictures soon)

Training Monday was:

A1: Body rows - 4 reps
30 seconds rest
A2: Dead lift - 4 reps
30 seconds rest
A3: Push ups - 4 reps
30 seconds rest
repeat a total of 6 times

2 sets of side planks - hold 30 seconds each side

Since this was my first time working out with weights in over 3 months, it was great to feel the pump and rush again. I had forgotten how much I LOVE body rows!

I followed the shake/supplement plan as it is written, and found that I was completely satisfied and energetic throughout the day. With all the different flavors of Metabolic Drive, I am optimistic that I will not grow tired of them. I have found no real issues today (day 2) either.

good stuff…I am starting on Friday so will check in and cross reference ideas/comments with you.

M

days 2 and 3

day 2: ate (well, drank) per the plan. wasn’t hungry…but i am not a fan of the peanut butter. i think i will blend it into the drink tonight instead of eating it off the spoon.

day 3:

A1: standing alternating dumb bell (db) shoulder presses - 6 reps - rest 35 seconds

A2: alternating reverse lunges (with db’s) - 6 reps - rest 35 seconds

A3: one arm db rows - 6 reps - rest 35 seconds

3 total sets

B1: overhead db triceps extensions - 6 reps - rest 35 seconds

B2: standing db hammer curl - 6 reps - rest 35 seconds

B3: body weight squats - 15 reps - rest 35 seconds

3 total sets

2 sets of 45 seconds side planks - rest 35 seconds in between sets

i have not been able to sleep since i started the program…i think the HOT-ROX are causing me to have a bit of insomnia (i am very sensitive to stimulants). i have been taking my last ones around 3:30 PM, and going to bed around midnight…should i invest in some tylenol pm, or will this pass as my body adjusts? has anyone else had this experience?

[quote]DarthCricket wrote:

i have not been able to sleep since i started the program…i think the HOT-ROX are causing me to have a bit of insomnia (i am very sensitive to stimulants). i have been taking my last ones around 3:30 PM, and going to bed around midnight…should i invest in some tylenol pm, or will this pass as my body adjusts? has anyone else had this experience? [/quote]

Holy smokes! Definitely move that time up. I had trouble sleeping when I took my last dose at 1:30. I would also highly recommend getting some ZMA and possibly melatonin. That helped me tremendously.

days 4 and 5 (thursday and friday):

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

ok, so yesterday we had a little new year’s dinner party for me, my love, his ex-wife (now one of my best friends) and their 6 year old daughter…i made the following:

baked chicken breasts stuffed with fresh chopped garlic and thyme…only used 1/2 tsp of olive oil on all four breasts…they were AMAZING…cut a 3/4 deep gash into the chicken breasts and stuff it with at least a 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic…add thyme over the top and rub each breast with little oil…yummy

then i made this ratatouille recipe:
http://smittenkitchen.com/…-ee-for-you-ee/

with toasted pine nut couscous (from which i refrained…as well as the goat cheese)…and then had a HUGE fresh spinach salad with a little balsamic vinegar…it was perfect, fresh, organic and healthy…not to mention tasty after almost three days of just shakes.

and today (drum roll please)…

a1: db romanian deadlifts - 8 reps - 30 sec rest
a2: pushps - 8 reps - 30 sec rest
a3: band lat pulldowns - 8 reps - 30 sec rest
three total sets

b1: standing db side raises - 8 reps - 30 sec rest
b2: bent over db rows - 8 reps - 30 sec rest
b3: reverse crunch - 8 reps - 30 sec rest
b4: step-ups (w/weighted vest) - 8 reps each leg - 60 sec rest
three total sets

observations so far:

i find that the lactose in the MD is causing a raucous in my belly…nausea sets in a couple of times a day…i have had to cut the HOT-ROX in the afternoon down to 1 in order to get some sleep at night, and i am starting to spill protein, which means the high level of protein is taxing my kidneys already (even as i am drinking almost a gallon of water a day).

i will monitor for the next week and make adjustments if needed.

[quote]DarthCricket wrote:
days 4 and 5 (thursday and friday):

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

ok, so yesterday we had a little new year’s dinner party for me, my love, his ex-wife (now one of my best friends) and their 6 year old daughter…i made the following:

baked chicken breasts stuffed with fresh chopped garlic and thyme…only used 1/2 tsp of olive oil on all four breasts…they were AMAZING…cut a 3/4 deep gash into the chicken breasts and stuff it with at least a 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic…add thyme over the top and rub each breast with little oil…yummy

then i made this ratatouille recipe:
http://smittenkitchen.com/…-ee-for-you-ee/

with toasted pine nut couscous (from which i refrained…as well as the goat cheese)…and then had a HUGE fresh spinach salad with a little balsamic vinegar…it was perfect, fresh, organic and healthy…not to mention tasty after almost three days of just shakes.
[/quote]

That meal sounds fabulous. I just started to really love cooking over the summer. I made a pact with myself to eat well balanced meals and the most economical way for me to do that is to cook.

Well, just wanted to show my support and check how you are progressing with the VDiet.

Jo

With everything you’ve been through, this should be a breeze for you Lauren.

As for the HOT-ROX, 3:30pm would be far too late in the day. Keep it around 1pm as the diet outlines.

Stay focused and keep us updated.

thanks for all the support so far…here is the latest:

days 6, 7 & 8

i have not been getting all of my shakes in, so my calories were a bit low friday and saturday…but yesterday i made sure i got all the calories in, and am now feeling much better. i am glad that i did, too…or i wouldn’t have been able to get through the workout today:

A1: body rows - 4 reps - 30 sec rest
A2: pushups - 4 reps - 30 sec rest
A3: full body squats - 15 reps - 30 sec rest
seven total sets

i weighed myself and took measurements this morning, but i also started my period which make the numbers not quite right…here are the totals as measured:

weight: 143 lbs (i usually weigh 3-5 lbs more than normal when i start), down 0.2 from last week
largest part of the belly - 29 1/2" (30" last week)
hips - 39" (39" last week)
upper leg (thigh)- 22" (22 1/2" last week)
lower leg (calf)- 13 1/4" (13 1/2" last week)
ankles: 7 3/4" (same)
chest (over boobs) - 37 1/4" (38" last week)
chest (under boobs) - 32 3/4" (33 1/2" last week)
shoulders - 41 1/2" (42" last week)
upper arm - 11" (11 3/4" last week)
neck - 13 1/2" (same)

day 8 & 9
calories are up, and i am feeling better…i worked at the client site yesterday for the first time whole on the v-diet…having the shakes there for me made it really easy to stick to the pan while at work…AND i am saving money but not hitting starbucks for coffee two to 3 times a day! this v-diet looks to be a win-win for me.

workout:

A1 Standing alternating dumbbell shoulder press for 6 reps
Rest 30 seconds

A2 Alternating reverse lunge for 6 reps
Rest 30 seconds

A3 One-arm dumbbell row for 6 reps
Rest 30 seconds
3 total sets

B1 Overhead dumbbell triceps extension for 6 reps
Rest 30 seconds

B2 Standing dumbbell hammer curl for 6 reps
Rest 30 seconds

B3 Bodyweight squat for 15 reps
Rest 30 seconds
3 total sets

Two sets of plank hold for 55 seconds

…here are two before shots…front

…and side…

a1: deadlifts (145 lbs) - 9 reps - 30 sec rest
a2: pushps - 9 reps - 30 sec rest
a3: band lat pulldowns - 9 reps - 30 sec rest
three total sets

b1: standing db side raises - 9 reps - 30 sec rest
b2: bent over db rows - 9 reps - 30 sec rest
b3: reverse crunch - 9 reps - 30 sec rest
b4: step-ups (w/weighted vest) - 9 reps each leg - 60 sec rest
three total sets

…i am so BEAT! thank goodness it is friday and i can sleep in tomorrow…and now off to be pampered by my sweetheart…

Great to see some more gals on the forum. Wanted to check into your thread to show my support. Keep up the great work and enjoy the time with your sweetie. Helen, signing off at the end of my day 4.

P.S have you tried other nut butters? I love cashew and almond butter - much nicer than pb.

[quote]thebrit wrote:
Great to see some more gals on the forum. Wanted to check into your thread to show my support. Keep up the great work and enjoy the time with your sweetie. Helen, signing off at the end of my day 4.

P.S have you tried other nut butters? I love cashew and almond butter - much nicer than pb.[/quote]

hi helen…thanks for stopping in! i haven’t tried any of the other nut butters as i am really grooving on the pb in my shakes at the moment…i just needed to blend it in with the flaxseed and less water…after this batch, i may try the almond butter as i am a fool for almonds…thanks for the suggestion!

i haven’t been posting anything about my NEPA, so i figured i would just cover that in one big post…since we live in a loft in bozeman, i have to take my dogs for walks every day. this is a picture of my NEPA companions…

Hi lauren

Just read your post in another thread. You’re doing so wonderfully and are my inspiration that things will get better after day 6. Do you have a naturally sweet tooth? Is this the reason you’re not fed up with the sweetness of the m/d? Or, do you eventually look forward to them because you no longer feel sicky? I’m thrilled to hear of your strength gains and increase in lbm. I look forward to following your posts as you enter your third week. All the best. Helen

helen,

when i eat normally, i eat clean at least 90% of the time. we eat organic, and i shop at least every other day for fresh lean meats and veggies. i come from a family of chefs and love to cook. i am a fan of flavor combinations and textures most of all. as far as the m/d goes, i am not so much a fan of the taste (though i make it differently almost every time i have it in order to play with flavor combinations), but the way my body reacts to it. i can tell when i need to take in calories when i start to get a little headache and i have trouble thinking/concentrating. the shakes take effect quickly in alleviating the discomfort, making the overall m/d experience enjoyable.

being that as it is…i do like an occasional sweet from time to time. dark chocolate with espresso and wasabi being one of my favorite treats. :smiley:

i recall you saying that you are a nutritionist. have you ever worked with a Fabry’s Patient?

Hi Lauren

I have never personally worked with a Fabry’s patient. That’s some serious stuff. I consult with a doc from Walter Reed who may know more. All I recall (from text book application) is that a low fat diet can help alleviete some of the gastrointestinal problems associated with Fabry’s. I can do some research on where to get more information if you would like.

I too eat clean and organic where possible. I follow Precision Nutrition by John Beradi and have done for almost 2 years. I love it. I guess because I appreciate the taste of clean beautiful food so much, the synthetic taste of the shakes bothers me. I did buy some organic lemon extract at the farm show yesterday and added it to the vanilla. It was lovely! Helen

i got hungry today while i was making/serving organic mac and cheese to teeny…and, as usual, i took a spoonful from the leftovers…well, sort of…it tasted horrible to me! i spat it right out…though i gave in to temptation, my body new better! does this mean that i technically didn’t cheat? :smiley: