Biotest

My Training Log

I’ve always been a fat kid. Back in high school, I put off a ton of weight through a starvation diet and dropped from about 170 to 140. But of course, college ruined me and I went up to about 210. Throughout some of this time I focused on bulking up with weight lifting. As of January '09 I’ve been keeping a steady diet with exercise and have seen some results, but I’m not nearly where I’d like to be.

Today is Day 1 of my V-Diet. I hope to be able to post weekly updates until the 6 weeks are up. I’m going to follow the exercises to a T. There’s no way my $500+ dollars are going to waste! See you next week!

Height: 5’7.5"
Weight: 195
Neck: 16.3"
Shoulders: 48.5"
Chest - Upper: 41"
Chest - Lower: 40"
Waist - at Navel: 38"
Waist - at largest: 38"
Hips - at largest: 37"
Upper Arm - L: 12.7"
Upper Arm - R: 13"
Upper Leg - L: 23.2"
Upper Leg - R: 23.2"
Lower Leg - L: 16.1"
Lower Leg - R: 16.1"
Ankle - L: 9.5"
Ankle - R: 9.5"

I thought Day 1 was hard, but Day 2 is owning me.

Day 1 was hard because I was still getting adjusted to not eating solids. I think I’m getting over that fairly quickly though.

Day 2 is a different story, because I had my first workout today. I’m going the Intermediate route.

Front Squats: 60 lbs - 4x5
Chin-Ups: 5, 5, 3, 3, 2, 2
Dumbbell Bench Press: 130 lbs - 5, 5, 4, 1; 120 lbs - 4, 1
Ab-Wheel Rollout: 10, 7, 3

• Whoops, didn’t mean to post the same message twice.

A couple of extra thoughts:

-HOT-ROX prior to working out can cause nausea. It may be better to take it 3 hours prior to working out or after working out (depending on how late). I’m doing 3 a day.

-An afternoon nap may not be such a good idea for some. At least, not for me. I took a 2 hr. nap and woke up craving a sandwich. Not doing that! My HSM will be next Sunday for lunch.

Day 3 has been pretty hellish.

My legs are very sore from those front squats. Hopefully I’ll recover by tomorrow so I can do reverse lunges.

I was tempted a whole lot today at work. I work right next to the snack area, where my co-workers heat stuff up in the microwave and munch on beef jerky and peanut butter pretzel nuggets.

All I could think of was my HSM! That was what kept me strong.

I’m pretty used to eating healthy since I was on the Abs Diet for the past 4 months or so. I really do miss my 3 omega-3 eggs at the start of each day and my frequent string cheese snack throughout the whole day.

I read on here that most people adjust to the diet by Day 8 or so. I sure hope so.

Day 4 has been a lot easier than Day 3.

I’ve noticed that I look forward to workout days more than I do non-workout days. This is probably because I get to drink Surge.

Food never smelt this good before. My roommate just microwaved a Lean Cuisine, and that thing smelt glorious! Now I can’t wait to have my HSM.

My other roommate noticed some results. I told him it’s because of carb depletion, but it was encouraging nonetheless.

Keep up the commitment - i am on day 12 and having some good success so far…

thanks metabolik! i just visited your log… 14 pounds in 12 days is incredible!

where have you noticed the most change, measurements wise?

i think i dropped a decent amount of water weight already. i can’t wait until that Day 14 mark to see how much progress i’ve made.

Day 5. I had my first HSM tonight. I was invited out to dinner. Luckily there were healthy options:

Greek salad
2 pc. Grilled Chicken
Pile of veggies
A little bit of brown rice

I got full very easily, but stuffed in some extra veggies because I knew it would be my last HSM until next week.

It’s kinda hard for me to convince myself not to feel guilty. I feel like I cheated, even though the V-Diet requires a weekly HSM.

It’s gonna be difficult, but I’m going to have to man up and drink another shake tonight with peanut butter. Looking forward to tomorrow’s workout!

Day 6. I had no problems getting back to shakes after my HSM for dinner last night. In fact, food cravings aren’t a big deal right now. I feel like I’ve adjusted to the shakes fairly well.

Actually, my biggest problem is mental. I keep having these nagging thoughts that this V-Diet won’t work the way I’d like it to… like it’s worked for other people, but not me. I’ve been trying to lose all this weight from my college days, and with so little progress I’d convinced myself that I’ll never get skinny. I know those are lies though… I trust this program to get me on my way to being the healthiest I’ve ever been.

Tomorrow’s my first V-Burn! I’ve been looking forward to this thing!

Day 7. Did a night NEPA walk for the first time and almost stepped on about 10 toads. I’ll probably stick to doing my walks in the morning or sunset.

This V-Diet has kept me on T-Nation for many hours each day. I’ve already been lurking on T-Nation for about 5 months. The prospect of living a healthy lifestyle is becoming very realistic as I’m already thinking about getting back on a modified form of the Abs Diet after my transition.

I guess being a natural fat guy has its benefits. It requires me to be more disciplined, which in turn means that I’ll work that much harder to maintain good health as I get old while so many other people who could get away with eating whatever they want will have to learn the hard way.

As you can see, I’ve had a lot of time to think. Either I’m thinking about fitness or food, on top of other responsibilities and things going on in my life.

As of tomorrow I’ll have completed my first week. I’m planning on doing photos and measurements again, after I finish my first V-Burn (decided to do it on Sundays instead of today).

I’ve noticed that T-Nation has become more addicting since beginning the V-Diet. It’s comforting hear and see about others results in moments of weakness.

I did just my week one measurements and am pleased. I was worried for a while. I kept asking myself, “Will all this work and crazt dieting amount to only minimal results?”. Those thought were put to ease after my measurements this morning.

Day 1 compared to Day 7
Weight: 240 - 235
Neck: 17 3/8 - 17 1/4
Stomach across navel: 44 1/8 - 43
Stomach pant line: 40 3/4 - 39 3/4
Hips: 44 1/4 - 43 1/2
Chest: 45 3/4 - 44 7/8
R. Thigh: 26 5/8 - 25 3/4
L. Thigh: 26 1/2 - 25 1/2

Not bad for week one in my opinion. I’m please and re-motivated!

I’m on Day 7, about to do my V-Burn. But before I do, decided to snap photos. I feel like these are the same photos as last week. If anything, this is just more motivation to keep at it until the very end.

I’ll post measurements up a little later today.

Finished my first V-Burn at 33:36. That thing was harder than I thought it would be, especially the squat thrusts. Let’s see if I’ll prove next week!

I’ll do my measurements next week. No point in measuring every week unless there’s real dramatic results anyway.

Another day is almost done. For my final shake, I’ve gotten into the habit of making ice cream by blending ice. It works well with the peanut butter. It’s crazy to think that last week I was hurting, because I’m really getting used to this. I’m already thinking about the next time I’ll be able to do the V-Diet. My new goal is single digit body fat!

I’m curious, do you feel really full as well? I find that I’m actually forcing down some of the shakes because I’m just not as hungry. I suppose that’s a good thing. I saw a thread in which Chris mentioned 50% of people feel that way.

I feel adequately full, but not SUPER full.

I think a lot of it has to do with when you take HOT-ROX. I take mine with my shakes, so that helps.

I do notice that I look forward to the plain MD shakes rather than the ones with flax & superfood.

An update from my last post… yesterday (Day 10) I took 4 HOT-ROX instead of 3, and that made all the difference in terms of me feeling TOO full. I could barely finish my final shake in the evening.

Today is Day 11. Last week I had my HSM at someone’s house but this week I decided to take matters into my own hands by cooking my own meal. 2 Tuna fillets, 4 slices of sirloin steak tips, and a huge amount of spinach salad! I may have gone overboard with the meat, so I’ll just skip out on my last protein shake in the evening (especially since I have Surge later on after my workout).

Yes, Hot-Rox might be the difference then. I’ve been taking 4 each day all along. In regards to skipping the extra meal, you might want to be careful with with. I asked Chris and he mentioned to try to get it all in, otherwise, you risk too much of a calorie deficit or slowing of your metabolism.

I haven’t skipped, but I have cut down on a couple occassions that I was really full or my meals were too close together. For instance, instead of three scoops of MD, I’d only do two.

Thanks for the advice… it’s pretty important to keep on eating throughout the day, it seems. I did remember reading that we could forego some of the extra stuff in the later shakes if we had an adequate HSM (flaxseed, superfood, peanut butter). So I’ll probably just have normal shakes at the end of the day.

Man, that spinach salad was damn good! I can’t wait until next week!

Keep up the good work,i’ve just started out and it’s been good at the moment.You can really feel the HOT-ROX working,i’m taking two per day but will up that to three from next week.The workouts are brutal but you really feel like your doing some good and i’ve been feeling quite full on the shakes.Just take one day at a time and i’m sure you’ll be amazed by your results.I’d say good luck but there’s no such thing as luck on this progress ,just follow the plan.