Biotest

My Results on the V-Diet

I didn’t keep a log about my V-Diet, but I figured it may help other people if I post some information now that it’s over. I’ll separate my topics into a few different posts so they’re easier to read.

General Info about Me:

Today is Day 28 for me, and that’s it for the V-Diet for me. As I’ll tell you about later, I can’t do a proper Transition, since I really can’t drink another shake.

I started the diet at a carb-loaded weight of 195 pounds, and this morning I weighed 178. I’m happy with the amount of weight lost, but I was hoping this diet would be the answer to finally getting rid of my lower back fat, which is a result of years of poor eating. That part of me looks COMLETELY untouched by the diet.

As a result, I will continue my fat loss efforts by jumping right into CT’s Refined Physique Transformation program and nutritional guidelines. I plan on increasing my calories to about 10x bodyweight, since this program is a lot more intense than the V-Diet workouts. I will be consuming all solid food.

A little background on me, for those interested. When I started at an out-of state school in 2004, I hardly exercised and got to be a fat 195 pounds. I cleaned up my diet, following the nutritional advice in the Men’s Health Abs Diet and started training regularly, and went down to 175 after a few months. I stayed there for about a year and a half, and then started calorie counting.

I didn’t know a thing about protein intake at the time, and I dropped down to 145 pounds after a few months, and graduated college at about 150 pounds in December '07.

I then started a few programs from T-Nation and ate at a surplus, with several attempts to cut more fat along the way. None of those worked too well, and I actually gained 4 pounds of lean mass one month I was trying to lose fat (lucky me?) while under the guidance of a Biosignature practitioner.

I put on a good amount of muscle, and when I hit about 190 again, I set a date to start the V-Diet to try to actually see the muscles I’ve worked hard to build. I figured that something extreme and quick would make this happen…

Numbers:

Height: 5ft 9in
Starting Weight: 195.2 lbs
Final Weight: 178.0 lbs

Measurements: Final (Initial)
Waist (underwear level): 33.25 (34.5)
Hips (hip-bones): 38.5 (39.5)
Chest (nipple line): 40 (41 5/8)
Bicep (unflexed): 15 (15 1/8)
Forearm: 11.25 (12)
Thigh: 23 7/8 (25.25)
Calf: 15.25 (15.75)
Neck: 15 (15 1/8)
Belly Button: 32.75 (35)

This past December, I was 184 lbs and 16.2% bodyfat. My bodyfat was probably unchanged since then. I have no idea what I’m at now, but pants fit me now that were tight before the diet, and my shirts are looser. I have pictures, but they were taken with my phone and are not great quality. I don’t know if I want to post them. I’ll think about it.

Training

I followed the Advanced Program, with a couple exercise substitutions (sorry Chad). I’m not comfortable with Overhead Squats, so I changed those to barbell hack squats. I switched the ab-wheel rollouts to barbell rollouts, so I could add resistance to them, and I did rack pulls instead of bicep curls. I don’t see a point in doing arm work during a fat loss phase, and the rack pulls allowed me to lift more weight and expend more energy.

I did the Intermediate V-Burns. My first time through I finished in 35: 58, and by my fourth time through I got 31:01. The hand walkouts suck to do on carpet.

On training days, I did my NEPA on a treadmill or bike right after lifting. Other days, it was after work. I never missed a session, and I tried to add incline or resistance when I was feeling more energetic. I also managed to finish three books with during all these NEPA sessions (Cats Cradle, A Clockwork Orange, and I Am Legend).

I know I wasn’t supposed to do this, but I added an extra day of lifting. One day a week, I’d do 3 sets of a barbell complex I made up followed by 3 sets of a dumbbell/bodyweight complex. I like working out, and I took BCAA’s during the session, so I figured it would only help.

I found the workouts fun, but I had a hell of a time getting through the last two heavy sessions with 15 seconds rest. I had to give myself a few extra seconds. I don’t think that was too big of a deal, anyway. I also had to drop my push press weight by 10 pounds after the first few sets on the last workout. Otherwise, nothing special to mention.

Nutrition and Supplements:

I did everything as outlined in the diet, with two changes:

1. I did not use Surge. The main reason is I don’t use it regularly, and one serving of Surge has more carbs than I usually consume when I’m trying to gain muscle (the Anabolic Diet with controlled carb-ups). I have poor insulin sensitivity, and figured that passing on the PWO carbs wouldn’t be a big deal. I used Grow!, glycine, and glutamine PWO, and drank BCAA’s during.

2. As a money saving move, I only used one serving of Superfood a day. I figured that it wasn’t in the previous two versions of the V-Diet, so it shouldn’t be a problem only using one serving a day.

There are several supplements I took that weren’t on the plan, most notably Poliquin’s DIM Extra to try to counteract the reported estrogen-increasing effects of all the flax seeds. I also took Vitamin D & E, magnesium, and zinc.

My main problem with getting through the diet was that every week, I’d three or four days where the shakes would make me very nauseous and cause my digestive system to grumble for hours. I also went through a few days where my tongue would swell up after drinking a shake.

Then I’d have a day or two of feeling fine before it starts again. I’m pretty sure I’ve built up an allergy to Metabolic Drive, and this is the reason I won’t be doing a traditional Transition. I just can’t stomach any more shakes. Taking a betaine HCl pill helped out a little bit at first, but eventually lost it’s effectiveness.

I was actually sick of Metabolic Drive after the first day. The shakes came out very thick from the blender and were tough to get down. It was around Day 8 that I figured out how to make thin shakes, which made them much easier to get down. I would add my powders to about 4 ounces of hot liquid (coffee at work, hot water at home), then add cold water. This made the shakes the consistency of water, and pretty much saved me from ending the diet after 2 weeks.

I was also about 5 minutes from quitting on Day 25. After my workout, I went to the grocery store to buy some solid food, since I was feeling absolutely horrible (nausea and intestinal distress). I got home and decided to force myself to stay on until the end of the 28 days.

There was one morning where I accidentally took three HOT-ROX. I would not suggest letting this happen. After the heat wave ended, I never again felt the usual effects from the pills again (slight euphoria, extra energy, and delicious burps).

Thoughts:

I don’t think I’ll ever repeat this diet, despite its effectiveness. I would also only suggest this diet to people who’ve been lifting for awhile and have a good diet to begin with. However, I know my experience is probably not common, as shown by the people who want to repeat this thing after a few weeks.

I actually don’t think the taste changes have come about in the slightest. I’ve eaten very clean already for a couple years, so my tastes changed a lot just from that. I did eat my nightly nut butter off a spoon instead of in a shake, since I stopped using the blender after a week on the diet.

I think Chris mentioned that having it in the shake is more beneficial for the taste changes, but maybe I just didn’t have much room for the changes in general.

Overall, I’m happy with my results, but frustrated that my lower back fat didn’t budge. I think most of the drop in my belly button measurement came from belly fat, since my stomach is noticeably flatter.

Tips for those on the diet or considering it:

1. Switch to the opposite kind of shake you usually have (thin or thick) when you start to get sick of them.

2. Stick with the vanilla and chocolate Metabolic Drive. They take to flavor additions better.

3. Give up Metabolic Drive for a few weeks before the diet. It’ll be farther into the diet before you get sick of the shakes.

4. Test your prescribed maxes on all the exercises in the training program before you start the diet.

5. Try not to sleep in on the weekends too much. I slept till around 11am on my days off from work, and I found it difficult to get in all my shakes on days I was only awake for 9 hours. I ended up skipping a few for this reason.

6. Weigh out ALL your powders. A scoop of Metabolic Drive is supposed to be about 28 grams, but it usually ends up being about 35 grams without packing it in.

I also only went through one bottle of leucine, since I measure out my 5 grams each time instead of throwing a full scoop in there. This is especially true with Superfood. I’ve seen a lot of questions in the Q&A about the number of Superfood’s needed for the diet, since most people seem to be packing those scoops. Ditch all the scoops as a measuring device and weigh it all. You’ll have a good amount of powders left for your Transitions.

If I think of any others, I’ll post them. If anyone has any questions, I’ll be happy to answer them as well.

I want to thank everyone on the V-Diet forum for giving each other so much support. Reading about all your experiences and words of encouragement helped me to stick with it. Thanks to Chris Shugart as well for answering all the questions in the V-Diet forum. I bet he’s pretty sick of telling people to use Se7en and Carbolin-19 if they can’t handle HOT-ROX.