Biotest

My Quest

Saturday, June 06, 2015
Day 1

I am a 56 year-old powerlifting enthusiast. Although I do not compete, I have been a serious lifter since 2011 and consider myself at the intermediate level. A year ago I completely tore the quadriceps tendons on my left knee; ironically not from lifting, but actually falling down the stairs at my gym. It was a devastatiing injury that took almost 10 months of rehab to get back to 90% of where I used to be. My Wilks score (non age-adjusted) is 295, having reached 1100lbs just weeks before my injury last year. I am currently starting a new 531 cycle, along with a custom bench. Since my injury, I have lost 20lbs, mostly from improved dieting and adding conditioning to my regimen. I have toyed with the idea of starting the Velocity Diet for a while now, but never thought it would suffice for the type of training I do. However, I seemed to have hit a plateau in regards to fat loss and really don’t want to add more cardio since it bores me to tears. Also, I have met several heavy-lifters and bodybuilders who have adopted extreme low-carb, ketogenic diets and maintained their strength levels and even progressed significantly, so I’m convinced it can be done. Below are my beginning metrics, along with a starting photo. As you can see, I am a fairly thick individual that holds both large amounts of visceral fat and underlying muscle mass. My goals are rather aggressive. Given my age, medical history and body type, I need to take control and begin shedding the excess fat; and I want to do it fast, but under control. I figure 28 days of this program might just be the remedy Iâ??ve been looking for.

Weight Goal: 190lbs (however long it takes)
BF Goal: 15%
Weight: 251
Height: 5â??9â??

Neck 19 on 6/05/2015
Waist 43 on 6/05/2015
Hips 43 on 6/05/2015
%BF 24.8 on 6/05/2015
Wrist 7 on 6/05/2015
Forearm 11.5 on 6/05/2015
Thigh 26 on 6/05/2015
Chest 44 on 6/05/2015
Calf 17.8 on 6/05/2015

Training Log:
June 6, 2015
5/3/1 C1 W2 D3 | Custom Bench W3 D2

Total time: 64 min

Squat
5X135lbs**
5X135lbs
4X185lbs
4X185lbs
3X225lbs
3X225lbs
(2 sec pause on last 2 reps of each set)
10X135lbs
***speed reps

Bench
–warm-up–
7X135lbs
3X185lbs
–working weight–**
1X195lbs
1X195lbs
1X195lbs
1X195lbs
1X195lbs
1X195lbs
1X195lbs
1X195lbs
**pin press - 2" off chest, rest 30-45 seconds between each rep.

Recumbent Bike
20-min | Interval Program | Avg HR: 91

Notes:

I decided to add another squat session this week because I needed to; I lowered the weight, but added pause reps at the end of each set, as well as speed reps for the last set. I’m really becoming a fan of pause-reps and/or iso-holds since starting them a few weeks ago. I think they add another dimension to strength training that helps us (intermediate) lifters break through those “sticky points” in lifts. Bench: These (pin presses) were absolutely brutal today. Though I managed to complete every rep, the progressive fatigue was unbelievable; after each rep I felt like I couldn’t do another, but after about 45 seconds of rest, the strength would return, but just enough to do another rep. Good stuff!

For sure it can be done if you keep training hard and most likely if you cut your carbs you can lose a significant amount of fat mass. Ketogenic diets are very effective, but perhaps changing lifestyle gradually can also be great and probably in the long run it can be more effective. Extreme diets are great, but I found it easier to just adopt my diet little by little and made it a permanent part of my lifestyle and not something I occasionally lose to lose fat.

Also avoid sugar sweetened beverages and other forms of refined sugars. If you try to estimate how much carbs you eat, perhaps try to cut those with like 5g per day until you reach a satisfactory balance and then try to maintain that while following your program.

Thank, Bart. I appreciate your response. In regards to the suggestion of lowering carb intake slowly over time, I have done that, as well as every other type of low-carb or ketogenic diets (modified or otherwise) only to hit plateaus every time. I have never tried an extreme, short-term approach such as the V-Diet. I fully realize the potential risk given human nature, which is to revert back to old habits after basically starving yourself for a month.

So, for me, the challenge will be to continue adopting the “new” habits immediately following, and in the long haul, if I want to hit my targets and maintain them over time. In addition, I failed to mention that I’ve had an adrenal suppression issue over the last two years, which finally appears to be resolved. So, from a hormonal/metabolic perspective, I should be in a much better starting mode than in years past.