Biotest

My Quest to 6% BF

Hey Guys, I just completed 28 days of the V diet. I will post my before and afters, but first, a little bit about myself.
I am 24 years old and have been resistance training for about 8 years. With most of my focus on size, bodyweight strength, absolute strength and sports performance. I went to school for Kinesiology, got my CSCS, CPT and USAW Sports Performance Coach certs and began personal training a few years ago.

At some point last winter I became intrigued by the idea of having a very low body fat percentage and maintaining it. Specifically, around 6% Body fat. So, last spring I started toward my goal… lifting 4x/week, sprints 3x/week, random steady state cardio and competitive sports. Also, I was eating very healthy during the week, with one night of drinking on weekends.

It was a slow and steady approach, mostly because of my constant fear of losing hard earned muscle. So, after about 4 months I got my body fat % down from around 10.5% to 8%. At this point, I only had about 2% to go to get to my all time goal. With more hard work and excellent nutrition I should be able to get there, right? Wrong. For some reason my body started to crave things I never liked before. Like sugar cookies, pie, cake, ice cream… just sugar in general. I would go to cookouts on the weekends and have eating contests with people twice my size. It was definitely a step in the wrong direction.

Thankfully, I was still training hard, so it didn’t set me back too far. I maintained about 9% body fat for the rest of the summer. Then, from October to January, I decided to put on some size and get stronger, but crept up to around 12% body fat.

At this point, I was not happy with the way I looked/felt, so I decided to give it another try. For 3 weeks I ate low carb with no cheat meals, did kettle bell workouts 3x/week http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/kettlebells_put_to_the_test , cardio 3x/week, and Waterbury’s pushup/pullup workouts http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/big_back_big_chest_real_fast.

Then I began the V-Diet. The shakes were delicious, trying different combinations kept things interesting. The only change I made to the V-Diet was no HOT-ROX. I had a total of 4 Healthy Solid Meals, usually on the weekend in case I felt like going out to eat. As Shugart mentioned in some article… when you ask a waiter for veggies with no butter or sugary seasoning they look at you like you’re nuts. Needless to say, it was usually a process to get a meal the way I wanted it, but it was worth the trouble in the end.

As far as the training goes, the workouts were usually relatively quick, but definitely intense… it made things easier knowing I had a sugary treat waiting for me afterward in the form of Surge(one scoop chocolate/one scoop original is amazing). The V burn challenge on Saturdays destroyed me every time, in a good way. My times were as follows…
Advanced Program
Week 1: 42:16
Week 2: 36:34
Week 3: 35:02
Week 4: 31:20

Day 1 measurements:
Weight: 193
Body Fat: 10.5%

Chest: 42.75 in
Waist: 33.5 in
Hips: 40 in
Thigh: 22.25 in
Calf: 15.5 in
Arm: 16.25 in

Day 28 measurements:
Weight: 181
Body Fat: 7.5%

Chest: 41.5 in
Waist: 31.5 in
Hips: 39.5 in
Thigh: 21.5 in
Calf: 15.25 in
Arm: 15.75 in

Now that it’s all said and done, the V-Diet went very well for me. I was able to drop my body fat while maintaining muscle mass. But aside from my physical results, my appreciation for food has changed. I am confident that this will be more of a long term adjustment, with less fluctuation throughout the year.

I am now transitioning back into regular eating, while still having a few shakes throughout the day. I still have a lot more work ahead of me to get to my goal of 6$ body fat. Unfortunately, that last 2 percent would be tough to lose while maintaining this very low carb diet.

I will have oatmeal, fruit, veggies, and other healthy carb sources early in the day to give me energy for lifting, sprints, tabatas, complexes, and other fun fat burning workouts.

In closing, I want to encourage anyone thinking about doing the V-Diet to give it a try. It is not easy by any means, but with a little self discipline for a month or so, you can make some drastic changes for life. And to all of you that have completed the V-Diet and posted your progress, you have been an inspiration to me, and I wish you all the best.

Back Before/After

Side before/after

Side Before/After

Back flexed Before/After

some fun with lighting

Im assuming the after shots are shown first…good work though!

haha no the after shots are second. Ya it’s kinda hard to see ya the difference. The pictures were taken from different distances and at different times of day. Good luck Johnson!

My bad man…it is hard to tell since you’re pretty solid to begin with.

It’s easier to tell with fat guys like me lol.