Biotest

My Journey... at Great Velocity

mmmmmmm, salad cream and custard…OMG…so good. LOL!!! Pot pies…minced meat…ales…pubs and clubs!!! OK…gotta stop or I’ll catch the next flight!

Mark…yeah, sounds like you have been through a TON!! I am glad that you are willing to share that with everyone and that you have your goals to reach as well…I think that is the key…have a goal, stick with it as best you can, and achieve it. I am close so I am pretty happy…I am sure you will do well also.

Now, onto my sig name. I have always been a huge BMW fan since being a small child and in 1998 finally got one…the smallest one they made (all I could afford) but through the years (another goal!) I have worked hard and stayed with my BMW. I now own a super modified M3 that I did myself (I am selling it now to get a “family” BMW!) that has a one of a kind widebody on it and supercharged! It is pushing around 450HP. See attached picture or visit www.eurowerkz.com/gallery/album61

Thanks!

Michael

Day 5: Monumental mistake yesterday… missed the arvo shake and pre-work supps . Got half way through a really good workout and completely ran out of steam (and I mean completely…) this was by far the hardest thing I have had while doing this diet so far, temptation was definitely to can it or go easier.

I did 20mins on the tread mill and exercise bike to warm up then got into it. Started with decent power and was having a good time till disaster struck… I began to really lose the ability to push it and started to feel very weak, mentally unfocused and even a little dizzy. Damn it was hard to finishing at a 100% but I did it.

Got home and had a shake straight away (double dose… arvo and post work out)but too little too late, I proptly fell asleep, completely exhausted and not feeling that great.

45mins later… woke up felt good again! Definitely won’t be doing that again. Been feeling so good (minor ups and downs but all in all good) yesterday I got a real taste of what happens if you don’t stick to the program set out.

After that went out with firends hit a couple of bars, haven’t told them exactly what I’m doing but they know I’m traing hard and on a strict diet. THey think I’m looking great and it’s admirable that I’m notdrinking… positive support no one even tried to get me to drink (stead stream of mineral water no questions asked… designated driver)

It really is great being able to get out and about with frinds after a long week (work wise) without someone trying to sabotage you or give you a hard time.

Decided that today is the day my body is asking for it’s solid meal… and it will get it.

Helen:

LOL I know so many people can’t stand vegemite/marmite… and like your husband don’t want it anywhere near them.

It and have always been a fav of mine to have vegemite with a slice of chees on bread (or in winter melted on toast). It’s good to hear your young lad hasn?t lost his heritage and has inherited some English genes… now we wait to see if he grows up like his mum (training !)

As for Bovril… we most certainly do have that (again I’m quite a fan too…) I guess I like things with strong flavours. Good idea for comp prep would definitely take the edge off (with no real consequences…)

The Branston Pickle is hard to find (not impossible) but we have Australian type equivalents (grew up having it with corn beef or cheese) as for the others… not really familiar with the salad cream (I think I know what it is though) or the custard powder (I assume its the English ‘Bird’s’ custard?

It’s funny the small simple things that keep you in touch with home. I spent around 9 month back packing through the middle east when I was 18-19 and I took my Vegemite with me, although I didn’t have it every day it was always nice just to have a taste of home at times (that and let the unsuspecting try it… LOL).

Small world I must say if your friend is in Brighton thats literally 10mins from me a little further from the city along the water but same general area (this what they call they call ‘bay side’ area) it is by far the best place to live in Melbourne (in my opinion) although your friend is in what most would consider a pretty expensive area…)

Mike:

NO WAY!!! That is AWESOME!!! Massive BM fan (use to drive an M3 E30 a few years ago)and I spent 2 years building up an Alpina E21 replica with a mate (putting out around just under 300hps). I love my cars and motorbikes (driving a standard X5 and riding a worked RC51 V twin Honda).

That is one hell of an awesome M3. What a shame you’re selling it… Don’t you wish you could just keep and collect the cars we own… kind of like coins! LOL

Day 6:

Ok so as I was saying earlier today is the solid meal. After a good nights rest (9hrs) I was ready to tackle the day.

As it?s Saturday the market was open offering the best of the best in fresh produce, really lucky as it’s walking distance from home (about 45min). So off I went.

I sat down before I left and estblished my goals and ultimately what I would be buying and how much (over a tasty shake… Mmmmm).

My ultimate goals here were as follows:

High Protein
Low calories
High sources of vitamins and minerals

I have derived the meal below from what I know my body is asking for, what I should have and what I know will get me prepared for the week to come and the demands I am putting on my body.

I decided that seafood was the best option. Beef, chicken, turkey etc… just woudn?t quite give me what I want (although Beef has always bee my fav food when given the choice?)

The main guide I gave myself is to never let myself get a full feeling. Slow and steady is the way to go not so much to prolong the meal experience or meal allowance but rather let my body handle it without too much shock and to get the absolute most I can in digesting it.

My meal was follows:
3 oysters (natural) ? extremely good source of a variety of minerals with low fat and calories.
3 prawns - good source of lean protein, low in fat and calories and of course excellent source of vitmins and minerals.

1 piece of fish (200-250g sword fish steak baked with lemon juice, dill and cracked pepper and wrapped in foil- ?good source of Vitamin B6, and a very good source of Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B12, Phosphorus and Selenium? all in all a very good steak type option.

Finally the vegetables?

1/2 cup Asparagus spears (steamed with Lemon and cracked pepper)
1/2 cup Green Brocoli (steamed with Lemon and cracked pepper)

Desert was 1/2 an orange (skin removed and partially frozen), some organge essence (sugar free of course) some low cal cordial (about 15mls = 2cal) thrown into the blender with a few ice cubes… my very own sorbet! (at only 16 cals it was brilliant)

This meal provided me with just about everything. Excellent and rich sources of vitamins and minerals (this is what I consider the most important factor here), secondly good clean (fresh)high level proteins (in a most of the foods).

Only thing I would have liked was some clean carbs (sweet potatoe, rice or something like that) but I’ll try something new next week.

In the end?.

The meal hit around the 315 calorie mark (approx) a little higher than I would like with a respectable 85grms (approx) of protein.

I ate this meal over an hour and a half eating a little at a time (good thing about cold seafood is you can take as long as you want to eat it).

Also had dad came over so I made the same meal for him. We basically sat back eating slowly chatting and catching up (i can’t think of a better way to enjoy a meal…) even did a little brainstorming and came up with some solutions to some designs I’ve been working on.

Didn’t really have to think about slowing down I just did. It’s amazing the textures flavours etc… you pick up when your not eating at the speed of light!

Pretty funny about half way through the fish I was struggling… normally would have finished it easily and been looking for more… and had it.

Also another observation i can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a meal so much, not so much the food itself but taking time chatting and relaxing it was simply brilliant. It was relaxation, ideas and reflection time all in one… not just the feeding time at the zoo it normally is.

As I said, all of the above was bought fresh from the market this morning and prepared by me to enure the purity of what I?m ingesting (no hidded surprises) I know exactly what I was having and how much before I went shopping (don’t ever do this type of stuff on the fly hungry… you’ll always over eat or get the wrong stuff).

All in all a very filling and satisfying meal packed with all the good stuff.

Thanksk for reading.

Mark

Hi Mark, wow, your meal sounds fab! I remember the seafood in Sydney and it is so fresh and good. You are so lucky. Only fish in Carlisle Pennsylvania is frozen or farm raised. I miss the UK markets and availability of fresh produce.

I too have decided to have my HSMs at home. As you say, more control over what goes into them. I much prefer to eat at home and love to cook.

How cool that you live near to my friend. Certainly is a small world. I’m very much looking to our trip there in December.

My mum is visiting in Feb. I already have my order in. They came out with a new chicken bovril so I’m looking forward to that.

Good on you Mark. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Helen

Hi there. I’ve been on the V-Diet twice now and I’ve never had a real significant problem with hunger. Can I suggest that you check out my post at velocitydieter.blogspot.com/2009/01/some-tips-for-velocity-dieter.html

It’s all “In my humble opinion” of course, and based on my own personal experience, and of course “your mileage may vary,” but having said all that, I think it might prove useful to some.

Stay strong, all!

The Canuck

Hey Helen,
The meal was great! I know you guys don’t get the same food as easily over there as we do here we’re pretty lucky in that respect, I must say taking the extra time really paid off and proved itself today … BIG TIME! (but I’ll get to that later).

I really enjoy cooking and the whole process before it (planning and going to buy the stuff included) there’s something about the market I absolutely love, there really is no better way to get food. I suppose not having to second guess the meal also made it more enjoyable as well… I knew what every mouthful had in it (and why I put it there).

As for your mum visiting… you must be wrapped (I can imagine it would be hard at times being so far away from home… my best mate is a Scot and he gets terribly homesick at times).

Will your mum have any room for clothes in her bags? By the time she stocks you with the UK’s finest she’ll end up over the weight limit…LOL

(Oh and I have seen the chicken Bovril… hmmm… I think I’ll have to try it to be convinced I just have the feeling it will taste … um… odd). I’ll find out in 4 weeks time I guess :slight_smile:

Canuck: Thanks for stopping by and the input. Had a read of you blog was good reading thanks.

Ok onto the Diet Update…

All I can say is WOW!!! I have felt recharged and totally energized (body and mind) since the weekend meal. I also made a slight adjustment today to my shake times (skipped the Mid morn and added to the mid afternoon for a double dose of cals before training)

I can say this with absolute honesty (and I don’t mind saying it…) I BLITZED IT IN THE GYM TODAY!!! The best day probably since I began training again, by far.

I pushed to the point of failure, LOVING IT and having energy in the tank to do so, my re-think and adjustment has paid off.

It was an amazing feeling training properly again and above all NONE of my injuries waved hello for a change (although nearly throwing up trying to down a protien shake in the change rooms and my upper body shaking so badly I couldn’t open the locker after I finished wasn’t so hot…) Call me strange I love it when I know I’ve pushed as hard as my body can take.

I really think that the supps I have been taking are paying off, the glucosamine and Fish oil especially (no inflammation in my knee).

I know I’d be getting strength back (from previous years of training) but I was surprised that I had to re-adjust the weight several times (compared to last week) as I found I could push through with increased strength(approx 10-15% more on average across the program).

It is an awesome start to the week. My drive is off the chart… I think this is going to be an amazing week (I can feel it!)

Finally, I jumped on the scales this morning(against my better judgement…) here’s the result:

12/01/09: 215 lbs (start)
19/01/09: 209 lbs

WOW… 6 lbs (2.7kgs!) in 7 days! I’m sure there’s an element of water loss but still this works and works damn well. The most I’ve done previously is around 1kg a week (2.4 lbs approx)

I am really trying not to jump on the scales (to those that do regularly use scales its fine this is just me if you enjoy it do it…) I really want to focus on how I’m feeling and the progress in my training and then see what I achieve in 4 weeks (I’m getting a friend to take them away so I don’t have to fight the urge).

On a final note… not so great discovery today… bad breath! YUK! YUK! YUK! YUK! YUK! YUK! YUK!

I know this the ketones in my blood (which only exit through sweat, urine and of course breath…) and this is from using fat for energy instead of carbs but I hate it (chewing sugar free gum now constantly… YUK!)

I’m thinking I’m going to start using the Sauna at the gym everyday to try and sweat some more and release it that way… any ideas guys? This is somethign I’m really not impressed with :frowning:

Later guys, thanks for taking the time to stop by. Train hard and diet well :slight_smile:

[quote]markmayer13 wrote:

It was an amazing feeling training properly again and above all NONE of my injuries waved hello for a change (although nearly throwing up trying to down a protien shake in the change rooms and my upper body shaking so badly I couldn’t open the locker after I finished wasn’t so hot…) Call me strange I love it when I know I’ve pushed as hard as my body can take.

[/quote]

That’s awesome man. I enjoy a workout like that too. Glad to hear you’re getting it with this small number of calories

[quote]markmayer13 wrote:
On a final note… not so great discovery today… bad breath! YUK! YUK! YUK! YUK! YUK! YUK! YUK!

I know this the ketones in my blood (which only exit through sweat, urine and of course breath…) and this is from using fat for energy instead of carbs but I hate it (chewing sugar free gum now constantly… YUK!)

I’m thinking I’m going to start using the Sauna at the gym everyday to try and sweat some more and release it that way… any ideas guys? This is somethign I’m really not impressed with :frowning:

[/quote]

I’ve never heard of this. Maybe just carry around mouthwash?

Hi Mark. Wow! These are some amazing gains. Aside from your weight loss, I think that the fact you are not feeling your injuries is HUGE! I know how nagging injuries can hold you back. I played womens rugby for 10 years and had my tackling shoulder scoped and repaired about 4 years ago. My left shoulder started playing up 2 years ago and I thought my gym days were over. I was popping naproxin like there was no tomorrow. Then I discovered glucosamine and fish oil. I haven’t taken a painkiller for over a year! I use a formula with chondroitin and MSM and its magical!

Yes, my mum has a long laundry list of tucker to bring. Pity I shall be in the middle of contest dieting during her visit. My show is 15 weeks out. Still, there will be room for a couple of cheat meals. Plan is to take her to NYC and I don’t plan on missing out on a slice of Grimaldi’s pizza!

Enjoy your sunshine and relish your new found energy.

Have a great week.
Helen

[quote]aphelion wrote:

That’s awesome man. I enjoy a workout like that too. Glad to hear you’re getting it with this small number of calories

markmayer13 wrote:

I’ve never heard of this. Maybe just carry around mouthwash?[/quote]

Yeah I think I’m going to try something like that. This is a very common side effect of high protien low carb diet (if you google it you’ll read all about it…) there nothing I can do really except realise it’s there and try to do the best I can to ensure I have gum, mouth wash etc…

Regarding the training, the shift in shakes I think has helped, I have effectively doubled the calories before my workout which definately made a difference, if you can bare the lack of shake at mid morning I highly suggest it.

Thanks for stopping by and your comments.

[quote]thebrit wrote:
Hi Mark. Wow! These are some amazing gains. Aside from your weight loss, I think that the fact you are not feeling your injuries is HUGE! I know how nagging injuries can hold you back. I played womens rugby for 10 years and had my tackling shoulder scoped and repaired about 4 years ago. My left shoulder started playing up 2 years ago and I thought my gym days were over. I was popping naproxin like there was no tomorrow. Then I discovered glucosamine and fish oil. I haven’t taken a painkiller for over a year! I use a formula with chondroitin and MSM and its magical!

Yes, my mum has a long laundry list of tucker to bring. Pity I shall be in the middle of contest dieting during her visit. My show is 15 weeks out. Still, there will be room for a couple of cheat meals. Plan is to take her to NYC and I don’t plan on missing out on a slice of Grimaldi’s pizza!

Enjoy your sunshine and relish your new found energy.

Have a great week.
Helen [/quote]

Hey Helen,

I’ve never really tried to Glucosamine (it was suggested to me a few years ago but I didn’t think it would help me) or the fish oil, but I can say now with confidence these are simply brilliant for me( put my dad onto them as well and even his bad hip feels better). I’m loving the discoveries along the way in doing this :slight_smile: On your recommendation I’ll look for the formula with chondroitin and MSM and try that too.

With your show, when is it? Will we get to see you in comp form? I used to train with a few gals that did the comps here… my god did they show what single minded drive can achieve. Will be really interested in following your progress. Good on you for doing it.

Look up http://www.muscleandbodyshape.com.au/ the girl that just won the 2008 WFF Universe Championships in Germany (Areti Anagnostellis) was my trainer for awhile (till my injuries flared up really badly and I had to stop).

I know comps are not easy, a girlfriend tried and got about a month and a half out from the comp and threw in the towel just couldn’t hack the dieting and training demands anymore.

Shame on you for talking about Pizza… (as I sip on my shake)… although I have heard that NY has pretty good slices, the question is… will it beat the Melbourne/Italian Pizza. It’s well know that we have some of the best pizza in the world…LOL (everybody says that there town is the best).

Cheers,

Mark

DAY 8: Non training day.

Everything is running along so smoothly and far better than I expected. I feel better than I have in years!

Went to bed really early so I put in a solid nights sleep (around 9hrs+) after my hard work out, woke up feeling great. The protein and supps are feeding my body really well and adding recovery a noticeable amount(I feel worked but really good at the same time)

Went for my walk before breakfast (was up before 6…) made me a little hungry through the day but nothing too bad.

As I was bouncing off the walls by the time I finished work so I stopped off at the gym on my way home (of course no weights)

Did the following:

60mins on the exercise bike
20 mins treadmill
20 mins elliptical trainer
60 mins in the pool

The pool was more to cool off as it was so hot but also to exersice my bad knee walked laps in the water for about 45mins.

Today I never let my heart rate get up I kept it well out of cardio range. As soon as I thought I was working to hard I slowed it down and focused on just keeping moving no effort by my body.

All in all I feel great (the heat made it a sweat session which alway make me feel good… almost cleansed afterwards). I can’t wait to hit the weights tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.

Mark

Holy Moly…that is a lot of NEPA and I thought my 1 hour sessions were long! I would love to see your results and may add on a 20 minute sesh on the ellyptical.

Glad you liked the beginning of the article on the car. It is my 4th project car and the most extreme. I am selling it since I am ready for another project that is much more tame and a car that I can use daily if I choose. This car is sitting in the garage right now nice and warm! If you are interested go here:

http://www.eurowerkz.com/gallery/album24

It contains all my projects that I have done.

I loved reading about your HSM and how you savored every bite…imagine that kind of savoring in public? HA! Yes, I get A LOT of weird looks and stares as I ate but I don’t care…they have no idea how good the food tastes and how savory it is…and the time to chew it and really get the taste and texture…we are a society of hurry up and wait…well for that hour or so that is OUT THE WINDOW!!!

Keep up the great work! You are doing awesome!

Michael

Hey Mark. Good to see you doing so well. I would give anything to be able to walk outside, but at 3 degrees f, with ice on the ground, I think I’ll pass until spring!

I followed some of your advice and doubled up on my pre-workout shake, which meant cutting half a scoop each from my two afternoon servings. It was like night and day in the gym. So thanks for that.

Yes, the MSM and chondroitin will make a difference. I use Univera brand, which was actually recommended by the surgeon who did my last scope. I’m like a new woman, going from someone who constantly woke up at night to now getting 9 hrs of uninterrupted sleep.

You asked about my show. Its on May 2, so 14 weeks out. I love competing. Perhaps I’ll post a pic closer to show time! Or you can check out the OCB website shortly thereafter for results and pics.

I’ll wait til later to challenge you on your comments about pizza! I’m starving right now and really craving some. Need to go do my NEPA walk to bannish all evil thin crust thoughts from my mind! Cheers, Helen

Hi Guys sorry I haven’t posted for a few days.

Helen: Trying to find Univera to give your recommendation a go I’ll let you know if it works as well for me, had a little discomfort the last few days which is a little disappointing but nothing that rang the alarm bells (I think it’s more the inactivity of the last few years catching up…)

By the way from here on NO MORE TALK OF PIZZA… I was fine till I read your thread then I started craving pizza (again) hahaha

I looked up the OCB web site, I’ll be interested to find out how you go (and definitely see the comp pics)

Michael : Mate I tried to post on your thread but it was coming up blank??? (How weird) Anyway your progress has been fantastic and an inspiration to see, well done. The pics really show how far you’ve come.

Training & Diet: (days 10 -14)
Things are still going exceptional well training has been really enjoyable (though fighting urges to deviate from the HBT program).

I will say the set program has just enough in it that if you work as hard as you can it will drain you to the point that anything else would probably be a waste of time.

I have been progressively upping my NEPA training it has typically consisted of:

60-90mins Walking (outdoors)
60 mins exercise bike
20 mins elliptical trainer
60 mins in the water (again walking laps or doing leg work to help my injuries)

This weekend has been a little difficult as it Australia Day weekend (we have today off) and this is usually a weekend filled with BBQs and get togethers… lots of food… and beer.

To keep things easy I’ve tried to just pop in to these gatherings rather than hang around (it’s almost un-Australian not to take part) but most being fairly close to home has allowed me to walk to the get togethers (so I scored an extra few hours of NEPA walks)

Had my HSM day again on Saturday… Holy sh#t that was hard! It took me close to an hour and a half to finish 200grm steak and a 200grm vegetable frittata that I had made (I highly recommend this http://thevelocitydiet.com/2008/02/19/recipes/cabbage-and-chick-pea-fritata/ check it out although I had to modify the quantities… I still have three sizable pieces in my freezer…).

I was so full half way through my meal I thought I was going to be ill. I would ordinarily eat at least 2 to 3 times this amount of food (in a 1/4 of the time…)

I must admit it got to the stage that I had to take it one mouthful then rest (not because I wanted to but rather because I just couldn’t physically eat it). Cold steak… Mmmm. (lucky I gone to the markets again and bought an exceptionally good cut so it didn’t go tough)

I forced myself to eat to get the reload on fresh nutrients etc… My stomach has shrunk so much I now see why the transition period is so important to get back to normal eating. Good thing is I am now never hungry, if I keep to regular shake times I don’t even notice the diet anymore.

Anyway that’s the update for now.

Oh actually one last thing… I have now had to start wearing different clothes as my t-shirts and jeans looked a little funny on me (like I borrowed someone else’s clothes).

I have had to raid old clothes and a pair of jeans I bought in the US a few years ago that I have never worn (I must have picked up the wrong pair in the change room) when I started this I was a size 38 now I’m wearing these jeans which are a 34… and they’ve got room in them (glad I didn’t give them away). Lucky that shorts and gym clothes don’t really matter :slight_smile:

Thanks for stopping by.

Hey Mark!

Are you still hanging in there?

Let us know how you’re doing. I promise not to talk about pizza (say I, as I sit and watch my 4 year old son tuck into a homemade mature cheddar and marinara whole wheat thin crust)! Ha!

Hi Helen,

Are you mad??? Watching… you do know that could make you eat your young.hahaha (it does sound delicious though… the pizza… not eating your young…)

Yes indeed still here and going strong (just been geting home pretty late) although I think my gloating on the weather has given me (and the rest of Melbourne) a turn for the worst…

We are having an aweful heatwave (they say the worst in 100yrs…) we’re getting the temps around 105-110 f (40-44 degrees C) it is unbearable my walks have become torture and the gym is absolutely exhausting.

How are you going? How’s the prep for the comp comming along? Love to hear an update.

Just to give a quick update on my progress I have now reached 200 lbs mark (I couldnt’ help but jump on the scales at the gym this morn) so I’m loving my progress. I’m finding most apsects of this diet are getting easier and easier, was even looking into extending the 28 days to maybe 35 but I think the rate I’m going I won’t really need to I will however extend out the transition period to perhaps 6-8 weeks (but we’ll see how I shape up)

I’m loving that I am feeling fit and strong again I feel like I can see little changes here there almost everyday (also my injuries haven’t flared up one bit and that is the thing that I am most impressed about on this diet and training program).

The only thing I have found from time to time is the foginess and slight confused feeling return (especially the last few days in the excessive heat) but as I read that’s just the reduced calories messing with my system a little so just need to forget about it and keep going (although it is frustrating at times…)

Anyway that’s really about it, I’ll be trying to maintain my thread a little better. I have decided that I will be posting my before and after pics at the end of my 28 days. Just add a little suspence to my thread… haha

Thanks for reading.

Hey Mark, great to hear you’re doing so well! My goodness, I’ve been watching the tennis on TV and the weather looks miserable! One guy couldn’t finish! I don’t much like the snow, but at least they can keep the temp in the gym constant. Don’t do any crazy NEPA out in that heat!

Oh, about the pizza. I have to sit with Henry while he eats. Can’t leave that poor little boy on his own in the cold kitchen. My husband is away on TDY so I’m doing all the cooking and that is tough! Yesterday cutting up an apple for his after school snack was more torture than the pizza! Guess my tastes really have changed.

Comp prep is going great. Like you I’ve decided to post before and after pics at the end of the diet. I think the side by sides will be more dramatic!

Only 4 days to go! No thoughts of extending beyond transition for me though. I need to preserve as much muscle as possible for May. Besides, I can’t wait to dig into marmite and toast when my mum gets here!

Stay cool! Helen

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.