Biotest

My Homemade Pasta Sauce

If you’re going to make your pasta sauce then you will need to know that it takes quite a bit of time. A great pasta sauce always takes time, especially since you want to take advantage of a simmer absorbing all the great flavours. Homemade sauce usually lasts around 6-10 days.

Anyway, here’s a foundational recipe. You can add more or less of anything in here but don’t mess with the amount of canned tomatoes and tomato paste. The type of tomato is really up to you (i.e. crushed, whole, etc.)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of finely diced onions
5 cloves of garlic
1-2 bay leaf
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (high quality EVOO has a smoking point of 405, so it’s okay to cook with it)
2 (28 ounces) cans of whole peeled tomatoes
1 (6 ounce) can of tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme (love this stuff)
1 teaspoon of a sugar substitute (optional)
Ground sea salt and pepper to taste
1 pound of your own homemade meatballs (12 balls)

Directions:

1. Sautee, over medium heat in a large pot, onions and garlic until your onions are translucent.
  2. Add canned tomatoes, sugar, salt, and bay leaf. Cover the pot, reduce it to low then let her (or him) simmer for 90 minutes.
  3. Add oregano, basil, parsley, thyme, ground pepper, tomato paste, and meatball and simmer for 30 more minutes.
  4. Serve it.

Notes:

• Girlfriend hates the texture of onions, so I dice these up really fine and use less. Ideally, 3/4 cup is nice. Also, the type of onion is up to you. I use sweet since it is the least pungent.
  • Whenever I bought store bought pasta sauce, I always got the garlic variety. As such, I usually use a bulb for my sauce, not 5 cloves.
  • This makes 6 servings of pasta sauce.
  • Experiment with a variety of canned tomatoes such as crushed, stewed, and what not. What you pick can reduce your cooking time considerably. Having smooth canned tomatoes or blending your tomatoes can reduce your cooking time down to 30-40 minutes.
  • I like rosemary but I find it has a really dominating flavour, so I don’t usually add it.
  • If adding any other vegetables (i.e. yellow peppers), then sautee the vegetables with the olive oil.
  • Skip the tomato paste if you want a thinner sauce.
  • If you want to cook this faster with meat, then skip the EVOO, cook ground beef, onions, garlic, and other vegetables together then add all other ingredients at once for 30-40 minutes.
  • For a simpler sauce, skip all italian seasonings except for the basil and bay leaf.

Nice.

Thanks!

Can It be frozen? Would that be bad or good?