Biotest

Muscarella V-Diet - 1/11 Start

DAY 1

Hello fellow new year V-Dieters. Name’s Stephen. I’ve been lifting and learning about weights for ten years now. Never became truly committed to the discipline until August of 2008. I enjoy the strength aspect the most, but I also train to look good. I designed my own cut last May with whole foods and that went well. Learned a lot.

In that cut, I stopped after 3 weeks when I reached my goals. Since then I’ve learned that it’s important to exceed your goals because your body usually goes through an adjustment phase in the following months where it asks you whether this change is for real or not.

I’m actually down at Florida State where there’s not much to do except drink, so I’ll be interested in following some other people’s progress and discussing the going’s on. Here are my starting measurements:

Weight 208
BF% (calculated) 19.2%

Largest part of belly 36.5
Upper leg:
Left 26.5
Right 26.5
Calf:
Left (relaxed) 15.25
Right (relaxed) 15.25
Chest:
Nipple Line 41.5
Upper Abs 34.75
Shoulders 47.5
Upper arm/Biceps
Left (relaxed) 13.5
Left (flexed) 15
Right (relaxed) 13.5
Right (flexed) 15
Neck 15.75

Side

Back

Day 2

Really easy day today. Forcing myself to eat the peanut butter right now. Day 4 will be HSM day. First workout wasn’t too bad. Needed less than 5RM max weight on DB Bench and Chins. Interesting to see how tomorrow goes.

Hey dude I just popped on here after replying to your post on my thread. You’re right, we’re starting at the same time and might end up in similar nick, although I’ve got a bit more chub than you atm! Go for gold buddy!

Day 3

Tough morning. Blending banana MD is a bad idea. It gets all frothy and annoying to gulp down. So far, I’m having no issues with hunger unless you consider being too full an issue. So, I had that issue, went to the gym feeling kinda bloated and then went balls to the wall. Felt a little pukey but managed to gulp down the Surge. Surprisingly unaffected despite the extremely strong raspberry taste.

Had my HSM today. Nowhere to fit it in this week except today. Would have liked to hold off a bit more, but schedules aren’t always perfect.

Also, checked my excel sheet from my May '09 cut and noticed all measurements were almost identical except I weigh an additional 8lbs. Possible scale discrepancy. Best case - I put on 8lbs or so of muscle. Worst case - I put on 8lbs of visceral fat.

1st Workout
Front Squat 5, 5, 5, 5 with 185 - will need to up that.
Chin Up - 4, 4, 3, 2 with 25 plate, 3, 2, 2 with 20
DB Bench - 5, 5, 3, 2, 3, 2 with 70
Ab Wheel - 7, 5, 4, 4 standing

2nd Workout
Rev Lunge 8, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6 with 50 DBs
1 Arm Row 10, 10, 10, 10 with 90 DB
Push Press 10, 8, 8, 7, 6, 3 with 45 DBs
Curl 8, 6, 5 with 70, 7, 5, 5, 4 with 60
Rev Crunch 10, 10, 10, 10

Wow, standing ab wheel action. That’s pretty intense mate. This diet’s not too bad so far hey. Let’s see how we’re both feeling in a couple of weeks! Good job so far my man

Day 4

Needed a nap this afternoon. Hot-Rx keeping me up at night. Didn’t take the afternoon dose today.

I know it’s not recommended to get too much other outside exercise, but it’s the only way I can fill up the time. So I’ve been biking and playing squash and racquetball in addition to my 40 minute NEPA walks to and from school. I’m sore, but not anymore than I expected.

A little worried about 40 reps of deadlift. I reckon my 10RM is about 315 to 325. I’ve never lifted it that many times before. I usually don’t do more than 24 reps in a single workout. I think I’m going to use a belt and see what 275 feels like. My gym doesn’t have a platform, either. So, I have to lower gingerly.

Adding ice to the shakes = much more palatable. I made the mistake of getting too much banana and strawberry. If I do the V-Diet again, it will be all chocolate and vanilla. I don’t like the vanilla plain, but I’m a pretty creative cook, so I’m sure I could find lots of fun things to do. The pumpkin pie shake is damn good.

Day 5

Weak and sore. Nothing new to me.

Deadlift - 7, 7, 6, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 with 255 and belt
Decline BB Bench - 7, 6, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3 with 155
Pull Up - 6, 6, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 2 with BW
Hand Walkout - 5, 6, 4 standing 6, 6, 6, 7 kneeling

Day 6

Survived a party night. Owned the karaoke stage and basically acted precisely the way I would have behaved with some whiskey in me. Interesting. Didn’t get enough sleep though.

Shakes keep me partially nauseated.

Day 7

Slept like a freakin’ log last night. Brilliant. Quite sore from decline bench. Certainly finding out some weak spots for future training.

Vburn - 32.00
Not too hard on the lungs. Not too bad on the legs. But the shoulders and chest were a bear. Hopefully a good night’s rest will recover those muscles. Sipping on some Surge right now. Won’t get raspberry again. Tastes sugary and artificial.

Classic problem I’ve been having. It’s 5pm and I still need to drink 3 more shakes according to protocol. That’s simply not going to happen. Also, never can seem to get the 2nd dose of Hot-Rx in. I haven’t been overly tempted by food. The shakes keep me in a permanent semi-nauseous state. So, rather than missing solid food, I more dread the next shake.

Measurements, pics, and weigh in tomorrow.

only 21 days to go
looking like you’re making progress mate? As for getting in all the shakes, I just bought an iphone (sooo sick!) and so i’ve set a bunch of alarms every day at every shake time. sure this’ll help…
also i’m super keen on the lemonade flavour Surge

hang tough my man. ps those reps on your deadlift can’t have been easy! what’s your best deadlift?

Day 8

Weight: 208 to 202.5
BF % (calculated) 19.2 to 18.4

Belly: 36.5 to 35.75
Upper leg:
Left 26.5 to 26
Right 26.5 to 26

Everything else stayed same.

Workout #5
Front Squat 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 with 165
Chin Up 5, 5, 4, 3, 3 with BW
DB Bench 5, 5, 3, 2 with 65 3, 2 with 55
Ab Wheel 5, 4, 4 standing 5, 2 kneeling

Certainly feeling weaker with the decreased calories. Getting in plenty of NEPA. About 100 minutes worth today. I seem to have hurt my achilles tendon this weekend though. That doesn’t feel good. Hopefully it will heal without needing much rest. Also runny nose and slightly feeling under the weather. Two good nights of sleep though. Go for a third in a row and hopefully wake up refreshed.

Results are about what I expected. Let’s hope they continue.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3. I’m amazed that my left shoulder is so much lower. I’ve been noticing this in other people too. Hardly anyone’s skeleton is straight. I’m not a believer in chiropractors. Is there another method to getting everything straight?

Great job mate

looking all round a bit tighter. especially evident at the love handles from the back shot. shoulders looking a bit better from front on too. 6 weeks of that sort of progress will result in a huge change. i’m not going to do photos for another week yet; looking forward to it tho.

my Se7en has arrived too so i’ll get stuck into that today. tempting as it is, i’m not going to double dose - Chris reckons the bottle instructions (for women) is fine for fellas as well. curious anyways. def starting to feel like a bit of a supplement whore!

good luck for week 2 my man. ps i went to a podiatrist yesterday with a heel issue. is yours worse on waking?

Hey mate,

Very noticeable change in your front shot as Tom said. Backshot is hard to compare due to different camera angles though!

Keep up the good work!

Day 9

My achilles is bothering me during my walks. Gonna switch to biking and elliptical. Bummer. I was enjoying that walk to school. A quick day.

Just got a smokin’ hot date for thursday night’s HSM.

Your V-Diet is already paying dividends!