L. upper leg - 23 1/4
R. upper leg - 23 1/4
L. lower leg - 15
R. lower leg - 15 1/4
L. ankle - 9
R. ankle - 9

Before side view

Before back view

Looking forward to watching your progress, Mudshark!

Just finished my first meal this morning. I’m no stranger to flaxseed but the Superfood is new to me. It makes the vanilla flavored shake taste just a little weird; however, I’m used to eating some strange tasting foods and know this first taste will not be a problem. I usually clean my wife’s place of business on Sunday morning and I will consider this as one of my NEPA activities for the day - moving some furniture, sweeping, mopping and waxing the floors - not really that strenuous but keeps me moving for 3-4 hours. The other NEPA sessions will be walking my dog twice for about 30 minutes each.

Oh, by the way, I think that if I would had ordered the stuff for this diet in one order (as a package) instead of two separate orders I would have saved about $80. I made two separate purchases instead of one to help spread the cost out over a short time.
Even at 57 years old I’m learning I’ve got a lot to learn!

I’ve found I can almost completely mask the flavor of both the flaxseed and the superfood with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Blended up with a little ice and it tastes just like a vanilla milkshake.

ToBeFrank: Thanks - I’ll give it a try.

I did the first day of the Intermediate program today.

I need to work on doing Front Squats!
I have been back squatting for about a year and always go fairly deep - at least parallel on the heavy, max sets and hams-to-calves on all lighter sets. However, this front squat is new and I really will have to work on my wrist flexibility and need to improve my arch. Other than that I think the workout went well even though I went light looking for the right weights.
I finished the workout in about 20 minutes and felt I should do something more. So, I spent another 20 minutes on the bike doing some light to moderate cardio. I tried to make it like what a fast walk would be (like NEPA).

This diet is quite interesting. I found myself drinking water most of the day and pissing alot. Not because I felt really hungry but out of a sense of having something to do to take the place of snacking on almonds or fruit.

I know that I look forward to that last meal of the day when I get to lick the spoon of the remnants of nut butter. Its the little things that will make this diet easier and easier. For now I feel quite sated and ready to go to bed and do this a day at a time. I’m very disciplined in most things and this is going to be a proud accomplishment.

(I think I’ll practice front squatting with a broom stick and do some static stretching for the wrists and triceps.)

I’ve reached the end of the workouts for the first week. I will do my first V-Burn tomorrow morning.
So far these workouts have been good and I think I have some good weights for next week.

Today I did the Friday workout (intermediate) that starts with the deadlift. I used a weight I knew I could easily get the 8-9 RM; however, I was so drained after the 40 reps that I had to take a few extra minutes (6-8 I think) before I could start with the rest of the exercises. At the end, doing the hand walkouts was a grind. Today was the hardest of the three workout days. That’s good I guess - I looked like hell when I left the gym (just like I should).

***My question is, can I switch the order of the exercises and put the deadlift at the end? I think I can see the benefit of doing the hardest(?) exercise first and I would like an opinion(s) on changing the order of the exercises. {If Mr. Waterbury’s workouts are designed for a given order of the exercises then I will comply.}

The V-Burn I will do tomorrow will certainly be a challenge. I’m looking forward to it.

The meals are OK and I don’t get hungry IF I keep myself busy and drink plenty of water. I’m used to drinking alot of water anyway, so this is already a healthy habit.

I’ll weigh myself tomorrow before I workout but I think I’ll measure only every two weeks.

I just read a post on a V-diet forum that the second week is the hardest for the diet! Just what I didn’t need to hear. I’m going the prove that to be a myth!

mudshark,

Definitely the key to a tolerable shake is spice and ice. Like ToBeFank, I use cinnamon in most of my vanilla shakes. Pumkin pie spice and nutmeg are also good additions. Ice will make it really cold and thick like a real milkshake. Good luck!

[quote]mudshark wrote:
I used a weight I knew I could easily get the 8-9 RM;[/quote]

RM stands for “rep max”. If you could do 8-9 reps easily, you did it wrong. You should hit 9 reps and not be able to do a tenth on the first set. If you do that right, after a 45 second rest I guarantee you won’t be able to do more than 7 or 8 reps on the second set. By the time you’re 5 or 6 sets in, you’re only doing 3, 2 or 1 reps. This is still very hard, but not as taxing as doing 5 sets of 8, for example.

I thought the second week was easier. I spent the whole first week full and struggling to get the shakes down. Granted, I was very hungry the second week, but I liked it because I always looked forward to drinking the shakes.

[quote]crey0216 wrote:
Pumkin pie spice and nutmeg are also good additions.[/quote]

I’m stealing this idea! I love pumpkin.

[quote]ToBeFrank wrote:

[quote]mudshark wrote:
I used a weight I knew I could easily get the 8-9 RM;[/quote]

RM stands for “rep max”. If you could do 8-9 reps easily, you did it wrong. You should hit 9 reps and not be able to do a tenth on the first set. If you do that right, after a 45 second rest I guarantee you won’t be able to do more than 7 or 8 reps on the second set. By the time you’re 5 or 6 sets in, you’re only doing 3, 2 or 1 reps. This is still very hard, but not as taxing as doing 5 sets of 8, for example.

I thought the second week was easier. I spent the whole first week full and struggling to get the shakes down. Granted, I was very hungry the second week, but I liked it because I always looked forward to drinking the shakes.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. When I said that the 8-9 RM was easy I meant that at the eighth rep of the first set my pull was slower and the next one was even slower. Help me out here - I thought that each set was to be stopped when you could no longer maintain the same force/acceleration on the rep? If this is wrong, than I could go a little heaver. I understand that doing more sets would be needed and can see where the shorter set will be easier to complete and less fatiguing overall.

I think I found the answer to what a RM means in this program:

“A heavy weight is one you can lift four or five times on your first set before your speed slows down or your form deteriorates (your range of motion shortens, or you start using ‘cheat’ reps to achieve the same range of motion). A medium weight is one you can lift eight or nine times on the first set. (In the charts, these ranges are listed as 4-5 RM, for ‘rep maximum,’ or 8-9 RM.)”

A Rep Max for this program relates to the first set of each exercise and is how many reps you can perform ‘until your speed slows down or your form breaks’. Comparing this to a “rep max” where that weight can be lifted to a given number of reps AND NO MORE is probably a heavier weight. For me, taking the deadlift as an example, my 8-9RM is about 50-60# heavier because my speed slows at about 5-6reps but I can still complete the 9 reps, still keeping my form but at less and less acceleration, with very little or nothing left for the tenth. I still have to tweak with the weights on all the exercises - all will be higher.

Today I weighed-in at 174 – a four pound loss for the first week.

I did the V-Burn for the first time today.

Only did 4 circuits!!! THAT’S FOUR! Even though I was suppose to not stop between circuits, I had to wait between 2 - 4 minutes just to catch my breath – this fat boy is really out of shape. I could have made it through all six circuits, but I stopped because it would take me between 50 - 60 minutes to finish AND I’m not suppose to even rest between circuits. I would rather do what I can without fatiguing myself so much that I may not be recovered for the gym on Monday than beat my ass so hard I’ll vomit. I know from past experience that if I push my nervous system too hard that’s what will happen, and vomiting is very catabolic!. I want to do these with NO or minimum rest between circuits. I’ll certainly do better next week. I’m considering doing about 2 - 3 circuits in the morning upon waking on my non-gym days as my first NEPA for the day. This will help me acclimate this piss-poor physical specimen I drag around all day to these movements and start to give me some starting level of GPC. I want to do this right, but I have to listen to this almost 58 year old body.

I am not happy about the results but I did not have any preconceived notions about my performance. I hoped I would be able to do better than I did. Having not done any real conditioning activity for almost four years, I just had to try it and see where I am. Obviously, I’m 'South of VAG"!

I spent the last two days visiting my daughter. My wife and her spent the afternoon shopping and I had to wait almost 8 hours between meals! Being on a Carb restricted diet and waiting that long was tiring and I was almost hypoglycemic. However, I had my first HSM last night: 8 oz sirloin, broccoli, half serving of mashed potatoes and a side of mixed vegetables with a good stout beer. I ate slowly and enjoyed the meal very much. I was full and very satisfied - good to go for another week. Perhaps I’m not suppose to drink the beer but I know after the diet I will continue to have an occasional drink and this is not something I had intended to eliminate from any future meals anyway.

I now know that I should not allow myself to be caught lacking a meal for so long and I will have to prepare for this circumstance in the future.

I’m ready for the second week: my weights adjusted, meals prepared, and a plan for doing better on the next V-Burn.

I’ve lost four lbs in the first week and my pants hang a little looser. I had only intended to measure every two weeks but I might measure today - I’m curious.

Completed my first two weeks.
I got through the 6 circuits of V-Burn. I was determined to do it no matter how long it took. It took me 42 minutes - I will get under 40 minutes next week.
The weights are moving up on all the workouts and keeping Fridays deadlifts at the beginning of the workout.

I’ve lost 7 lbs total in 2 weeks (4 lbs wk 1 & 3 lbs wk 2) and 9.75 inches total:
neck 0.25
shoulders 2.0
chest-upper 1.75
chest-lower 1.25
waist @ navel 1.0
waist @largest 1.25
hips @ largest 1.25
L&R upper arm - 0.0
L upper leg 0.5
R upper leg 0.5
l&R lower leg 0.0
L&R ankle 0.0

So far this diet seems to be working well.
Even though my waist measurements have not reduced that much my pants fit looser. Maybe I was bloated most of the time!?
I don’t get real hungry and I feel pretty satisfied throughout the day and I have not felt any loss in energy (partly due the HOT-ROX I guess).
I’m looking forward to another HSM today. I don’t normally eat steak but I have a craving for a thick sirloin with lots of veggies!

Official end of the second week and I had my HSM last night: 10oz sirloin, mixed vegetables and a baked sweet potato. I ate at a SaltGrass Steakhouse (a Texas place) and I think their veggies were prepared with sugar(?) - they tasted sweet (broccoli, peppers, yellow squash, and carrots).

I should have asked how the sweet potato was served because it came to the table with a tablespoon of butter in it. I had to scrape the butter off!. The steak also came with about a teaspoon of butter (garlic?) on top that I also scraped off. My wife asked why I was not eating the butter and I told her I didn’t know what kind of butter they used and would rather limit that to a more healthy omega-3 type. I sipped a 4 oz glass of red wine throughout the dinner. As usual they brought their ‘special’ bread to the table and I allowed myself one small slice for this meal - I’m not sure I will go totally without grains and pastas in the future but I can limit them or sub whenever possible.

Looking forward to this next week. All of my meals have been prepared and bagged to make it easier at work. the only meal I don’t prepared before had is the last meal of my day - my dessert (oh, that yummy nut butter shake!).

After three weeks:
Stayed committed to this diet - Ok, maybe I had a couple of “heaping” tbls of nut butter vice a measured tbls.!! Gotta watch that.
I have lost 8 lbs total (4# 1st wk, 3# 2nd wk & 1# 3rd week) and I’ll measure after 4 weeks.
I did the V-Burn today and had to stop after 5 ckts (36 min). I was getting light-headed and had to wait after standing each time (after hand-walkouts, pike pushups, etc.) before I could continue. I also was feeling a slight pain in my rt. elbow, like tennis elbow.
I think the light-headedness comes from taking 2 HOT-ROX about an hour prior to the workout. I have been taking only one at a time (2Xs/day) and started taking two twice a day a few days ago and this was after my gym sessions. Next time I’ll wait until after any gym session or V-Burn workout to take the HOT-ROX. I’ve had a similar reaction in the past to thermogenic type fat-burners and I should have known better!!
I’ll have my HSM this weekend and let the Mrs. decide where this time. I hope its not Italian because it may be hard to find a meal without pasta - but I’ll try to keep it as clean and grain-free as possible.
I might be crazy to consider this, but I’m thinking of going 5 weeks with a 2 week transition phase. I like the type of whole body workout and timing each one instead of self-regulating keeps me focused and committed to performing each exercise in the proper manner.
If doing 5 weeks is detrimental and counter-productive, stop me now before I go down the wrong path!