Biotest

MSE2US V-Diet Log

[quote]mse2us wrote:
MitchorRuby wrote:
I had trouble sleepin the first several days. Ever since, sleepin like a zombie (not takin ZMA or Z-12.) Except when my 17th month old wakes up at 3am cryin. Damn.

MR

I’ve been there with the little one waking up in the middle of the night. I don’t think ZMA or Z-12 would help with that.[/quote]

LOL… but wouldn’t it be sweet if it did. “Sorry honey I just slept right through it for the 300th day in a row.”

[quote]MitchorRuby wrote:
mse2us wrote:
MitchorRuby wrote:
I had trouble sleepin the first several days. Ever since, sleepin like a zombie (not takin ZMA or Z-12.) Except when my 17th month old wakes up at 3am cryin. Damn.

MR

I’ve been there with the little one waking up in the middle of the night. I don’t think ZMA or Z-12 would help with that.

LOL… but wouldn’t it be sweet if it did. “Sorry honey I just slept right through it for the 300th day in a row.”[/quote]

Yeah that would be nice.

As far was working out today. I was able to muster up enough strength to workout. The second workout for the advanced progrom was SERIOUS. I had pools of sweet dripping off me. The DB press/forward lunge was a bit awkward but by the fourth set I was able to get the hang of it. I think I’ll skip the NEPA today and try to get in bed by 9 pm.

Five days in and the diet is getting easier each day. If memory serves me rignt the hunger pangs have been about the same if not a little less than when I was on the Get Shredded diet.

It may be my imagination but I think I’m starting to see differences in my body already. I’m sure it’s just water weight but seeing my waist shrink and more definition in my shoulders is very encouraging. I’m going to weigh and measure on Monday and post the first week pics on Tuesday.

This weekend is going to be a big test for me because every year my entire family and I go away for the extended weekend. This year we’re going to Deep Creek, MD. The best part of these vacations for me has been the food. This is about the only time of the year where I would really pig out. So it’s going to be tough to be surrounded by all the food and not eating it.

I do have my healthy solid meal which will most likely be a steak from McGinnis Sisters (specialilty food store in Pittsburgh, PA). I’m not sure what cut I’ll get and what size it’s going to be but man I’m I looking forward to it.

I’m going to take my laptop down there but I’m not sure if I will have internet access. If I do I’ll continue to post but if not I most likely won’t post until Monday.

So I’m back from Deep Creek and all I have to say is that this weekend was one of most difficult as far as temptations go that I ever had to face. It’s one thing to resist blowing your diet when your at a party or gathering for a couple of hours, but when your surrounded by good food for breakfast, lunch and dinner it’s much harder to resist. So how’d I do? Friday was no problem. I stuck to my 5 1/2 shakes with no problem. Saturday my wife and I cooked breakfast (which is one of my favorite types of food)for everyone and surprisingly I didn’t eat any of it. Lunch came and I could tell it was getting harder to resist but I had my one HSM to look forward to which I saved until everyone ate dinner. My HSM was 2 6oz Filet Mignot, two small potatos and mushroom/onions. I cooked them on a grill and I think that it was the best steak dinner I ever had. It kind of felt like I was cheating because it was so good. So Saturday was not too bad. I had 4 shakes and the HSM. Now Sunday is a different story. By then I decided to have two HSM and the second HSM was Ribs. I know Ribs isn’t the best choice but I decided to have Ribs, a salad and nothing else. Now once it was dinner time I had the Ribs but when I finished eating the fourth rib I decided to have a beer. That beer eventually turned into a second beer and a small bag of chips. I then had a bite of my wife’s cookie. So on Sunday I had 5 ribs, 2 beers, a bag of chips and a half of cookie. Monday I was back on the diet without the temptation to cheat. All things considered I don’t think I did too bad. I definatley could have done much worse. Looking back on it I don’t think I’ll ever be on so strict a diet when I’m on vacation.

The main reason I decided to go on this diet at this particular time is because I will be going to the beach on July 5th and my brother-in-law challenged me to a Who Has the Better Body contest come July 5th. We both agreed to this back in March and I didn’t take it seriously until the beginning of April. Realizing I had only 10 weeks until the beach, I did the HSS-100 for chest (great program,I put at least an inch on my chest) and went on a mass building diet which took me to the second week in May. So I had no choice to go on the V-Diet during my little vacation.

Now, the fact that I messed up on this diet for a day cause the diet to not work like it should or did it hinder my progress? I don’t know. I have 5 more weeks left and I’m even more determined to stay strict on the diet and get the best results I can in 5 weeks. I will post first week pics this evening.

I’m having trouble with my digital camera, but I should be able to use someone elses. As sooon as I do I post new pics.

Are you talking about Deep Creek Lake in MD?

[quote]mse2us wrote:
So on Sunday I had 5 ribs, 2 beers, a bag of chips and a half of cookie. Monday I was back on the diet without the temptation to cheat. All things considered I don’t think I did too bad. I definatley could have done much worse. Looking back on it I don’t think I’ll ever be on so strict a diet when I’m on vacation.
[/quote]

You’re right… it’s not too bad. Just move on and don’t worry about it.

MR

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Are you talking about Deep Creek Lake in MD?[/quote]

Yep. it’s real nice down there.

[quote]mse2us wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
Are you talking about Deep Creek Lake in MD?

Yep. it’s real nice down there.[/quote]

sure is, I love that area. I went to college at Frostburg, would move in a heart beat if there were anything for jobs in the area.

Hey mse2us,

Just stumbled across your thread, man. As others have said, you have a great physique to work with. Just keep making the necessary adjustments and keep your focus. You’re going to look kick-ass once you finish this V-Diet journey.

How hard is not to drink beer for a month? Get a grip of yourself, man :wink:

[quote]Xeneize wrote:
Hey mse2us,

Just stumbled across your thread, man. As others have said, you have a great physique to work with. Just keep making the necessary adjustments and keep your focus. You’re going to look kick-ass once you finish this V-Diet journey.[/quote]

Thanks man.

I haven’t posted for a couple of days because I’ve been off from work and had limited access to the internet.

This coming Sunday will be two weeks and I’ll be halfway through the 28 days. My impressions of the diet so far is that it is easy. The first week was tough but this week has been a breeze as far as drinking the shakes and taking the supplements go. So far, and this may change by mid week 3 and 4, I haven’t had to do anything to the protein shakes to “spice” them up. I don’t put ice or any flavors such as coffee in the drinks, I don’t even change the flavors of the protein throughout the day. I use the same flavor until the bottle is empty. Like I said before, my favorite part of the diet is the simplicity and having to blend it in a blender or do anything else to it takes away the simplicity. Now the temptation to eat junk food of course is still there. For example, my brother and his family is visiting for the week from New Mexico and of course there has been a lot of family gatherings with the normal party food. And yes it has been a challenge not to eat, but the fact that I kind of messed up while I was on vacation and realizing that this is a relatively short diet with a very, very slim margin of error has helped me resist any temptations to eat junk food. Again, I love the diet but the real indicator as to how good this diet is will be the results. And I’m keeping a realistic view of the expected results. I know I’ll get leaner but I’m not expecting to get shredded. If I do, great, but if I don’t I won’t be too disappointed. I really want to see how low I can get my body fat based on my visual appearance. I know I should have got a body fat test but I could not find one in my area.

Comparing this to the Get Shredded diet, so far the hungar pangs are definately less on this diet than they are on the Get Shredded diet. I think it’s because you go longer between eating on the Get Shredded diet than on this diet.

As far as chewing sugar free gum while your on this diet, unless you want people holding their breath while you talk to them I’d advise maybe eating a half a stick of sugar free gum and saving this for when your at a social event. Because the combination of an empty stomach and protein makes your breath smell like complete death.

By the way, since I’m a couple days away from the 2 week point I’ll post results pictures on Sunday. Sorry to anyone who’s been waiting for me to post results.

My last post I didn’t mention how my workouts have been going. In my opinion Wednesday advanced workout is by far the most difficult. Going from the DB press/forward lunge to the DB cleans is killer. By the third set I had to rest about 40 seconds instead of thirty. Had I not, I probably would have dropped the DB on my head while doing the DB clean. I don’t know if it was just that day but that workout kicked my butt. The one mistake I did make was going up in weight. I should have stayed at the weight I did last week.

The Monday workout isn’t too bad. At first it seems easy but by the 7th and 8th complex it’s pretty tough. The movements aren’t to difficult and max effort can still be given in a fatigued state. I haven’t done Friday’s workout yet because of Memorial day; I will do it tomorrow. Of course each workout is going to get harder if the progression suggestions are followed and given the fact that I’ll be further along in my diet.

Hey i just stopped in to say what’s up. I just started the V-Diet today. Keep it up!!!I look forward to seeing your results!

So here goes my 2nd week result pics. Not too bad.

I’m down 14 pounds from 232 to 218. Of course how much weight I lose isn’t my main concern - it’s how much fat.

My measurements:

Waist:36
Torso: 37
Pectoral: 46
Quads: 27
Calves: 15.25
Arms: 17.5R 17.0L
Weight: 218
Shoulders:21.5
Neck:17

IMHO I don’t think the pics do me justice. I think my results are better in person. So right now I look smaller than I was and this can be discourgaging but since I’m in between the bodyfat percentage I was and what I want to be, I realize that although I am losing fat I won’t look my best until my body fat is in the single digits.

I have 4 more weeks to go and I’m determined to get the most out of this diet so I will be on the straight and narrow until the finish line.

Front shot

Two weeks down 4 more to go. The diet is much easier than I thought it would be. As with any diet there are periods when I’m very hungry which at times make me feel fatigued, lethargic or sometimes even light headed but these feeling usually pass pretty quickly. Since I’ve been on the diet, there hasn’t been a day when I felt like total crap which is great. The non-lifting days are little more difficult since I’m taking in less calories but they aren’t too bad.

Yesterday was my 2nd healthy solid meal but the weird thing is that I wasn’t looking forward to it. I even contemplated skippy it but since Chris Shugart said that the HSM is key to the success of the diet I decided to have one. I had steak with onions, mushrooms, 3 small potatos and a salad. I grilled everthing except the salad of course. Next week I think I might have fish.

I mentioned earlier that my brother was in town last week so just about every day last week I was around pizza, cookies, fried chicken and other dieters worst nightmare foods. It was tempting but I was able to resist. Having my goal fixed clearly in my mind and the fact that I made my V-Diet journey public has really helped me to resist cheating. This is my 15th day and everything is good.

All right man! Keep it up!

IRON WILL.

[quote]hated wrote:
All right man! Keep it up!

IRON WILL.[/quote]

Thanks hated.

Yesterday was pretty tough for me. That’s kind of funny since I just said there hadn’t been a day where I felt like crap. I didn’t feel like total crap but man was I hungry most of the day. I think it is because I decided to do my NEPA walk with only HOT-ROX and BCAA’s in me which isn’t bad if you don’t wait too long to do your NEPA, but I waited about an 1.5 hours.

I woke up at 7 am, took my HOT-ROX and 3 BCAA’s and then left my house around 7:40 am to take my daughter to school. I then parked a mile away from my job which was around 8:30 am, took 3 more BCAA’s and then walked to work. Once I got to work I drank my first shake which was around 8:45 am. I think waiting that long to drink my first shake caused me to be hungry for the rest of the day.

One thing I noticed with me is that if I wait more than 2.5 hours to drink my shake I’m beyond starving so when I drink the next shake I’m so hungry that it does nothing to curb the hunger pangs and I’m hungry for the rest of the day. But if I space them between 2.5 - 3 hours apart the hunger pangs are more manageable. Of course this strategy will only work if I go to bed at a decent time. If I stay up until 1 am then I’ll have drank my last shake hours before bed which will cause me to go to bed way too hungry.

Since this post is getting long I’ll post how my training is going later today.

This weeks training has been good. As always Wednesday’s workout is just so unbelievable difficult that it borders on torture. None of the exercises by themselves are hard but going from the DB press/forward lunge to the DB cleans is brutal. Like I said before, don’t make the mistake of going up in weight too much, too soon.

As for my Monday workouts I decided to stay with the Deadlift instead of the Overhead Squat. And after reading todays article I think I made the right choice. That’s because I just can’t use enough weight with the overhead squat to stimulate my legs; 135 lbs for 3 reps is nothing. I understand the benefits that it may have on the shoulders and core but that’s not what I’m after right now. My main concern is to preserve as much muscle as possible and 135 lbs for 3 reps will do nothing to preserve muscle in my quads.

I’m Deadlifting 350 1bs for those 3 reps which is a lot for me and I think that’s more difficult than Overhead Squatting 135 lbs and will preserve more muscle. Now if I could Overhead Squat 225 lbs with good form and go below parallel(if you can do that you’re a BAAAD Dude) then that might equal the difficulty of Deadlifting max weight but then again 3 reps is still going to do very little for my quads/Hams.

Now I may be mistaking but I think the main premise of the advanced Monday workouts is to use max weight and rest very little between exercises which will burn the most calories and preserve muscle. But if the weight I use for any of these exercises is low IMHO it takes away the effectiveness of the workout.

Also, most people don’t overhead squat(something I will be changing for myself in the near future) and because of this it takes weeks to get your form right(going below parallel, staying upright) so by the time your form is good and you’re able to go up in weight the 28 days is over. Besides there is no direct Hamstring exercise in the Advanced program.

Now this is just my opinion and I think that this is best for me. If you’re experienced at Overhead Squatting and can use decent weight by all means include it, but since I’m not I’m going to keep Deadlifting. Because I feel this way doesn’t mean that I feel that I know more than the coaches at T-Nation or anyone else for that matter.

Heck, all the useful info I’ve gotten over the last 6 years has for the most part come from T-Nation and Chad Waterbury has some of the best ideas that I’ve used and seen great results. So I hope I don’t hear people posting that I think that I know more than the coaches because I don’t or that I’m not going to get the same results because I’m changing the program. Okay rant is over.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.