Biotest

Mr and Mrs Dmitritch's V-Diet Log

Hello all! The girlfriend and I have decided to give the V-Diet a go.

As far as my history is concerned, I’ve been lifting for about 4 years. I went from a pretty lean 175lbs at 6’2" to 240lbs in the first 2 years. Let’s just say that being lean was not an important facet of my transformation, but I didn’t let the body fat get too out of hand. Following that, my consistency lapsed and I lost some muscle, but still maintained my weight around 220 at a comparable body fat percentage.

Then, in January of 2008, my personal life took a nose dive and I stopped working out completely, and pretty much stopped eating. My personal life has straitened itself out, but my health and body composition are at an all time low. As of today, I’m 195lbs and really, really out of shape – and weaker than a 10 year old girl. I guess if I had to describe myself, skinny-fat would be the term I would use.

Anyways, my goals for the V-Diet are to a) shed as much fat as possible, b)increase my fitness level, and c) repair my dietary habits (right now, I usually only get 2 meals a day). In short, I want to create a relatively lean, healthy base from which to start rebuilding some muscle the “clean” way.

My girlfriend, Jenn, has been acting and dancing since she was a little girl. So, all through high school, she was very active and in very good shape. College and post-graduation, however, are a different story. She became very inactive and began gaining weight, and she is currently at her heaviest. She’s made the typical “I’m going to get in shape” efforts a few times, but nothing has really worked for her, so when I began talking about starting the V-Diet she decided she wanted to do it with me.

Now, she has never lifted weights in her life, never tried a protein shake, and is used to being able to eat anything she wants, so this experience will definitely be a huge change for her. To make matters more difficult, she and I have schedules that do not line up, so we will not be able to work out together. So any insight from women with a similar history would be much appreciated!

I will be starting the diet tomorrow, Monday, April 6th, and will be following the intermediate plan m,w,f with the V-Burn challenge on Saturdays. She will be starting on Tuesday, April 7th, and will be following the beginner program on T,Th, S and will do the V-Burn challenge on Sundays.

Our measurements are as follows:

Me:

Height: 6’2"
Weight: 195 lbs
Neck: 15 1/2 inches
Shoulders: 48
Upper Chest: 40
Lower Chest: 39 3/4
Waist at naval: 33 1/4
Lower Waist: 36 1/2
Hips at widest: 41
Upper Arm, Left: 12 1/2
Upper Arm, Right: 13
Upper Leg, Left: 24 1/2
Upper Leg, Right: 24 3/4
Lower Leg, Left: 15 1/4
Lower Leg, Right: 15 1/4
Left Ankle: 9 3/4
Right Ankle: 9 1/2

Jenn:

Height: 5’2"
Weight: 130 lbs
Neck: 12 inches
Shoulders: 38
Upper Chest: 31
Lower Chest: 35
Waist at naval: 27 3/4
Lower Waist: 35
Hips at widest: 39
Upper Arm, Left: 10 1/2
Upper Arm, Right: 11
Upper Leg, Left: 23 1/2
Upper Leg, Right: 23 3/4
Lower Leg, Left: 14
Lower Leg, Right: 14
Left Ankle: 8 1/2
Right Ankle: 8

My pictures will follow, but, while she did take them, I couldn’t talk Jenn into posting any – maybe after this is all over I’ll be able to talk her into posting a before/after comparison.

Me, front:

Me right

Me back

Me left

Looks like Jenn changed her mind, so here are her pics:

Right

Back

Back

Left

Welcome aboard it’s gonna be a great ride.

Couples do very well on the V-Diet. Keep us posted!

Thanks for the welcome, draper.

Day 1: April 6th

Just had my first shake… I forgot how good they are (as far as protein shakes go, anyways). I also forgot how warm HOT-ROX make your stomach feel. Normally, stimulants don’t have much of an effect on me (I can drink a pot of coffee right before bed), but the combination of HOT-ROX and coffee has me bouncing off the walls.

I’ll do my first workout around 2pm and I expect it to be a humbling experience. And tonight I’ll be at opening day at Angels stadium, so I’ll face my first test in my effort to avoid hot dogs and beer!

Grats you guys on getting started!

By the way Jenn…I know how you feel but you, in your situation, (meaning there are others who have different reasons why they didnt post their pics that have nothing to do with body image), you totally did the right thing by going ahead and taking a deep breath and posting your before pics anyway, when you didnt really want to. I know how hard that is. I did it too. Felt sorta sick after doing it. Hard for everybody.

That one decision to ‘do it anyway’ will serve you very well in the next 6 weeks. I personally cannot wait to see these transformations.

Lisa

Thanks for the encouragement, Austin2174!

So I just got back from my first workout… I’m exhausted! I’ve never done this sort of training – I’m used to 5x5 with pretty long rest periods – and it kicked my butt. My ability to recover between sets is crap!

Front Squats:

135 x 5, x 5, x 5, x 5

As you can see, I underestimated my starting weight on these. It was way too easy – the reps were really fast and I didn’t even begin to slow down… but, good god was I winded after!

Chins:

BW x 5, x 5, x 4, x 3, x 2, x 2

Apparently I can’t add, because I did one too many reps. It was at this point that I realized my GPP is a lot worse than I thought. The first set I was pulling to my lower sternum with a lot of speed – I felt like I could have knocked out another 5. The second set was pretty much the same, but it was down hill after that… and I was starting to get kinda dizzy…

DB bench:

60 x 5, 60 x 5, 60 x 4, 60 x 3, 60 x 3

Again, felt way too easy on the first 2 sets and then I just tanked… It’s weird, I’m used to slowly running out of steam, but I went from feeling perfect to having nothing from one set to the next.

Ab Wheel

x5, x4, x4, x4, x3

These were tough! I’m gonna be hating life tomorrow…

Jenn here…

Thank you so much, Austin2174 for your encouraging words. This is the first time I’ve ever been on this site, and it’s so nice to see such encouraging and confident women on here that just want to change their lifestyle a bit for the better.

So I start tomorrow and I had my last hoor-ah at the Angels Opening Game tonight with my last hot dog and beer :slight_smile: (I should add that Ivan did VERY well… didn’t cheat once the whole game… which was especially hard with everyone constantly yelling “Pizza! Peanuts! Ice cream! Cold beer!”

To be honest, I’m VERY nervous! A part of me only wants to do this to prove to my boyfriend and everyone else that I can. Here are my worries…

• That the shakes will make me sick (after reading a few people’s blogs discussing nausea and vomiting, I got really nervous since I already have a weak stomach!)

• That the HOT-ROX things will make me all jittery… I already get jittery and feel dizzy when I have just a few cups of coffee in the morning :frowning:

• That I just simply won’t have enough will power, and that week 2 or even by the end of week 1 I’ll think it’s too hard and start getting down on myself that I cannot do it, so I won’t follow through :frowning: … I know this is a horrible thing to think, and that if I have the right mindset, I CAN do it, but I believe it will help me to get that worry off my chest and out there into the world.

On the other hand, I have many goals and for once, would like to see myself follow through with them…

• I would like to get in better shape.

• I would like to lose 15-20 pounds.

• I would like to develop better eating habits.

• I would like to learn to work out with weights (I am used to only cardio like jazzercise and dancing).

The good thing is that my boyfriend and I are doing it together, and I am sooo thankful for him and his confidence that I can do this program and his persistance to stick with it.

Well, I guess that’s about it for now… I’ll start in the morning… no turning back now… wish me luck!!! :slight_smile:

Hey there Jenn

Welcome aboard!

I would lie if I would tell you that the V-diet is a piece of cake, it’s hard but don’t be scared, I am convinced you will do great!!

Mint tea helps against nausea if you are concerned, and always take HOT-ROX half way through your shake. I only have good experience with it, it actually makes me feel great and all energetic :slight_smile:

When you get bored with the shakes and you’ll have the feeling they always taste the same, switch, buy some spices and put them in and when it gets really bad just close your eyes and swallow them down, don’t taste it, don’t smell it, just close your eyes and do it :-). And after your HSM you’ll get will again.

I’m on my second week and the first measurements were great and that for sure is one thing that keeps me going. Also you get addicted from going to the gym (I really missed my NEPA on the V-challenge day) at least I did :slight_smile:

Anyway, don’t be scared, you have the power to do it just always look ahead :slight_smile:

[quote]jenn56 wrote:

• That the shakes will make me sick (after reading a few people’s blogs discussing nausea and vomiting, I got really nervous since I already have a weak stomach!)
    [/quote]

They may very well make you sick, but they might not. Expect it. Dont let it set you off. The shakes arent actually what are making you sick; it’s your poor eating habits beforehand and then all of a sudden changing to good stuff, and not solid stuff, and your body is really pissed off about it at first! Keep trudging through until it stops. For everybody that’s posted about it, it always stops before week 1 is over. Usually between days 3 and 5.

[quote]jenn56 wrote:

• That the HOT-ROX things will make me all jittery… I already get jittery and feel dizzy when I have just a few cups of coffee in the morning :frowning:
    [/quote]

Hopefully you will have the same results as the above rannia and if you take them while you drink the shake you wont feel jittery. However, I felt like death in tennis shoes. If you’re that affected by coffee, I’d suggest working up to the hot roxx allotted amount. Start with one in the am, with the shake, see how you feel. If you feel alright, take another one around 3 with a shake. If you didnt get jittery, then move up to 2 in the am, etc. If you did feel jittery, just do one in the am again and see how you’re doing. You get the idea. Eventually within a few days though the goal is to get up to the prescribed amount.

[quote]jenn56 wrote:

• That I just simply won’t have enough will power, and that week 2 or even by the end of week 1 I’ll think it’s too hard and start getting down on myself that I cannot do it, so I won’t follow through :frowning: … I know this is a horrible thing to think, and that if I have the right mindset, I CAN do it, but I believe it will help me to get that worry off my chest and out there into the world.
    [/quote]

Keep coming back here, posting often, letting us know how you’re doing/feeling/experiencing…anything. As soon as you start feeling your will power escaping you, run to here and start reading other peoples posts after you’ve aired what you’re going through and get yourself back on the right page mentally. Or run to the gym :wink:

P.S. Very fortunate for you to have someone to do this with. That’s a big giant blessing right there. Stick with it.

Lisa

So today started off with a whole lot of frustration:

Jenn’s Biotest package showed up before the weekend and mine wasn’t scheduled to deliver until today (my planned start date being yesterday), so I took from her one bottle of everything and planned to return to her one bottle of everything when my package arrived. Well, Fedex delivered my package to the wrong address – the wrong street address in the wrong city, signed for by a guy with a completely different last name in the shipping/receiving dept of some business.

Now I get to wait around for a call from the delivering terminal with an eta on my package. And, of course, Fedex customer service wont allow me to call the delivering terminal myself, nor will it give me the contact info of the business to which they delivered my package, so there’s not a damn proactive thing I can do to recover my nearly $600 package! @%#*!

I’m just praying I receive the damn thing soon and all its contents are still there…

Eck. frown It will work out. Did you call Biotest to let them know what happened too? Who knows, maybe they can help somehow. Maybe not, but …maybe! Fortunately for you, you got a girlfriend doing it with you and she’s sharing grin, so you can still start.