Biotest

Monica's V-Diet Log

Starting this program today 1/23/12…meal #1, workout #1, and recovery shake #1 are all under my belt. I also did my NEPA walk after my workout due to time constraints today. Took pictures and measurements yesterday and those will follow tonight.

I am using the intermediate level workout program, but have not done some of these movements or lifted weights in several months. However, I am surprised that, despite my leave of absence from weight training, I underestimated my ability and strength. Here are my “scores”:

Front squat #85
7-6-5-2
think I will bump it up to 95 or 100 next week since I was able to get 7-6-5 off the bat without any warmup sets for form. Focused on keeping hips back and core tight

Lat Pulldown #75
7-7-6
Will bump up to 85 next week. I have not done these on a machine in what seems like years actually so I am hoping that my form was okay. I may try chin ups next week instead.

Dumbbell Bench Press #30 DB
5-5-5-5
This weight felt about right for me. Again, definitely need to really focus on the form as I noticed that when i became tired, I felt it more in my shoulders instead of my chest

Ab-Wheel Rollout
8-6-4-2
Again, want to doublecheck my form on this, because it always feels awkward on my knees. However, still felt that my core was working and focused on keeping it real tight

Overall, I am pleased with my first day workout.

I am a little nervous about this week, because my cycle (menstrual…yeah not what every guy wants to read, I know!) is starting and I’ll have PMS on top of taking away the food! I’ll deal though.

Feedback and comments appreciated. I am predicting that day 3 and 4 are going to be my wall this week.

OOPS! Posted this in the wrong place!

Starting Day 2 today…yesterday wasn’t too bad…my boyfriend and I live together and are doing this V-Diet at the same time so was nice to sit on the couch last night and complain about how all we could do is think of food ALL DAY! Let me tell you, I was ridiculously excited for the 210 cal of PB in my shake last night.

I was somewhat tired yesterday, but I have not been sleeping well and have my period which wipes me out anyway :(. I don’t do well on loads of caffeine so did not buy the HOT-ROX and have been cutting back on coffee for the past month actually…but i did have some herbal tea yesterday (women’s energy) and that seemed to help.

Here’s my plan for today:

8/8:30 Meal 1 finishing it as I type…I have to tell you, this one is hard for me to finish because I blend it and put ice in so it’s really thick…but the good thing is it’s filling!!!
12:30 Meal 2
3:30 Meal 3
5:15-6:30 NEPA walk ( I have a break between my work schedule and externship so my plan is to do laps around the mall…let’s hope I don’t make any detours and buy anything!!!)
6:30 Meal 4
9:30 Meal 5
10/10:30 BED

It’s been helpful for me to read other people’s posts and logging their progress. Makes me want to be more involved in this online community!

Good job!

It’s nice to see a workout I can relate too :slight_smile: All these big strong men reporting their weights had me feeling out of place.

[quote]piscesgirl022077 wrote:
Good job!

It’s nice to see a workout I can relate too :slight_smile: All these big strong men reporting their weights had me feeling out of place.[/quote]

haha. I was very happy to see that other women do this as well! I know what I have lifted in the past when I was strong so I am just trying to base my progress off of that. Good luck to you too! Thanks for the feedback!

Starting Day 3…did an hour long NEPA walk last night and I was surprisingly tired afterwards - like I really just wanted to take a nap. Also felt a little lightheaded in the beginning of the walk but that subsided. I am not sure if I should make anything of it, because it’s not uncommon for me to get a spell of lightheadness of being dizzy during certain work outs or when I stand up after sitting for a while. Anyone every experience anything like that??

A little nervous about today as my stress level is up and I have definitely been a stressful eater in the past - that was actually one of my gauges that my stress level was through the roof - I would eat more and just “grab” at food throughout the day…and especially at night. Looks like I’m gonna have to find a new way to deal with stress! THe other way I deal with stress - hitting the gym. So at least I get to do that today!

I will finally upload all of my info on here tonight or tomorrow. I am interested in seeing results in numbers.

On day 4…the past 36 hours my stomach has been VERY talkative…gurgling and making noise all over the place… but seems to have calmed down for a little bit the past few hours. Today is the first day I am really hungry. I have been drinking water and tea to help with the cravings. I also had a dream last night that I was eating sweet potato fries! YUM!!! Here is my workout from yesterday -
had to play with the weights a little bit and I really tried to push myself and go a little heavier. I forgot to time myself again though…

reverse lunge (first set 25# DB, rest used #30)
10-8-8-8-6
Bent over row (40# short bar)
9-7-7-7-8-2
Push Press (50# short bar)
9-7-8-8-5-4
Barbell curl (30# short bar)
7-7-6-6-6-4-2
Reverse crunch (slant board)
13-9-9-9

Rainy and cold out so I’m going to the gym for either my NEPA walk or a short 12-min bodyrock circuit. I have been doing intense strength/conditioning and cardio workouts for the past few years (crossfit, military athlete) but stopped in August because I was burnt out. I started doing BodyRock (online program) pretty consistently about 3 months ago. I have to tell you, I miss my circuits and my sandbag! I am not used to straight up weight lifting…I get bored so easy. I’m trying to not get bored (and lose interest) by pushing myself on the weights and really focusing on my form and keeping my goal in mind of wanting to get stronger and more muscular. I figured I would give this program a try as recommended and just pick up my old workouts when I am done (i want to get back into Crossfit and perhaps do the Civilian Military Combine in May…that’s a lofty goal though). Guess it’s a good thing that my problem is wanting to work out more???

Day 5…now that my period is gone I have tons of freakin energy today and don’t feel wiped out at all! Starting to get hungry though so I’ve been drinking tea and see which ones abate the craving the most. Getting mentally prepared for tomorrow night - my boyfriend and I will be going to a housewarming party where temptation will be everywhere! We are trying to come up with a game plan and may just bring our blender to blend one of our dinner time shakes (it’s for my brother so he won’t care :slight_smile: ) PRetty excited for the HSM on Sunday…Here was my workout from today:

Deadlift #95
8-6-7-6-6-5-2

Decline DB bench press #25
8-7-7-6-6-6
my timing was off on these since I dropped the weight on my timer after the first set then had difficulty trying to get the weights to my chest without hurting myself until my bf came over and showed me how to do it

Lat Pulldown 70#
9-8-7-7-5-4

Hand Walkout (from knees)
6-6-5-6-6-5-6
had some difficulty with this since it’s the first time I have ever done it but I think I got the hang of it

overall, not too shabby…I wish my DL was heavier but I was concentrating on my form. I am actually feeling leaner today especially in my core (if that makes sense)…I feel lighter too and not as bogged down by my midsection. It’s a nice feeling! I know that I won’t see a huge weight loss since I’m already pretty small to begin with, but for me, I would like to see more definition and hopefully would like to gain some muscle all around. OH, here are my starting stats:

Female
27 y.o
5’3/125 lbs
body fat 20% (not sure how accurate this is because I did it two days ago after my workout…one of those little handheld things they have at the gym)
R bicep 10.7"/ L bicep 10.5"
R thigh 18.5"/L thigh 18.4"
R calf 12.9"/L calf 12.5"
waist 28"
hips 31"

these measurements were taken on day 5…the weight and body fat on day 3

Day 6…not having the best of luck with timers these days…broke my Gymboss interval yesterday when I dropped a weight on it and the timer on my Zune stopped 3 min into the circuit today so I am not sure how long it took me. Welp at least I got a good workout in! Judging by the time I got to the gym and the time I left, I would say 30 min maybe? Kinda bummed that I don’t have a starting point for the circuit :confused: On the bright side, in each circuit I was able to do full clapping push ups for at least part of the 10 (5,5,4,4,4,1) before moving to my knees. Walkouts still have to do on my knees.
Tonight should be an interesting challenge with this party I’m going to.
Tomorrow is my first solid meal. Not sure what my we’re going to make yet. Gotta be honest, I’m not as excited as I thought I would be to eat. I mean, it’ll be a nice break from the shakes, but I guess I just thought I would be super enthusiastic to eat. I can definitely tell my attitude towards food is changing.

[quote]SinisterKid25 wrote:
Day 6…not having the best of luck with timers these days…broke my Gymboss interval yesterday when I dropped a weight on it and the timer on my Zune stopped 3 min into the circuit today so I am not sure how long it took me. Welp at least I got a good workout in! Judging by the time I got to the gym and the time I left, I would say 30 min maybe? Kinda bummed that I don’t have a starting point for the circuit :confused: On the bright side, in each circuit I was able to do full clapping push ups for at least part of the 10 (5,5,4,4,4,1) before moving to my knees. Walkouts still have to do on my knees.
Tonight should be an interesting challenge with this party I’m going to.
Tomorrow is my first solid meal. Not sure what my we’re going to make yet. Gotta be honest, I’m not as excited as I thought I would be to eat. I mean, it’ll be a nice break from the shakes, but I guess I just thought I would be super enthusiastic to eat. I can definitely tell my attitude towards food is changing. [/quote]

While you want to do the v-burn faster every time, the most important part is completing it.

Make your HSM a spectacle of clean and good food. You’ve been 6 days on protein shakes, get a nice meal planned.

As for the party- get a rbber band, put it on your wrist ( the big thick ones, or a thin hair rubber band ) then if you find yourself about to cheat or tempted to, pop that thing so hard.

[quote]corstijeir wrote:

While you want to do the v-burn faster every time, the most important part is completing it.

Make your HSM a spectacle of clean and good food. You’ve been 6 days on protein shakes, get a nice meal planned.

As for the party- get a rbber band, put it on your wrist ( the big thick ones, or a thin hair rubber band ) then if you find yourself about to cheat or tempted to, pop that thing so hard.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions! The party was not bad. Went with my boyfriend and we really supported each other. Didn’t have any “OH MY GOD I WANT TO EAT” moments but it was definitely tough. I will keep that in mind for any future temptations!

Ended up searching a paleo site for our first HSM…made paleo tacos…attached a pic. They were AWESOME! Tasted really good and I really focused on the flavors of the food. I did get a headache almost immediately after eating though…not sure what that’s about…

ready to start week 2 of training and shakes. My energy level has been good for the most part and I haven’t struggled too much with hunger, although more recently I have felt myself being more hungry in between shakes. I’m trying to learn when it’s actually hunger, when it’s my belly just moving around, and when it’s out of boredom.

Day 9…still following the diet as written…yesterday morning was a little crazy so wasn’t able to get to the gym like I wanted. Did a short circuit-like workout with my sandbag (btwn 25-30lbs) in my living room before work. Completed the strength workout today and I felt STRONG! It was great! Below are my scores:

Front squat 100#
3-3-3-2-2-2-2-2-1

Chin ups underhand grip
6-3-4-3-2-2
(the gym was crowded as hell and I couldn’t get on a pulldown machine so opted for the chin ups…good decision because all of these were unassisted and I was proud of myself for banging out 6 right off the bat)

DB bench press
35# 4-3-3
30# 4-4-2
started off with the 35s and had my bf spot me on those…next week I’ll stay at 35

4 sets 30 sec plank hold with 10lb weight on back(again, didn’t have access to the ab roller)

overall, I felt awesome during today’s workout. Haven’t had any crazy food cravings. Bringing my bottles with me to work and preparing the shakes ahead of time really help. I have also told people around me (some coworkers, friends, family) what I am doing and they have been very supportive. The woman who sits in the cube behind me at work even offered to go into the lunchroom to eat her breakfast sandwich because she didn’t want to tempt me! I told her no…I was living vicariously through her and enjoying the smell!!! haha

DAY 11…weighed in this morning 119lbs and 19% body fat…that’s 2 lbs down and 2% down from last week…trainer said I’m looking tight - guess what buddy? I"M FEELING TIGHT!!! WOOOOOOOO!!! Diet’s going fine…starting to think about what we’re going to make for dinner this weekend…have to be careful with the PB at night…last night my measurements were not as strict (meaning I did not level off the top of the TBSP because I freakin love PB - slippery slope, I know)
Felt really strong lifting today. Scores are as follows:

Reverse Lunge 30# DB
10-7-8-6-6-3

Bent over Row 45# BB
8-9-7-7-7-3

Push Press 55# BB
10-8-7-7-5-3

Barbell Curl 40# short bar
6-5-5-3-4-3-2-3-3-3-3

Reverse Crunch on slant board
10-10-7-7-6

maybe you guys can help me out with this: what is the difference between using DB for these lifts versus the BB? I am thinking about using DB for the lifts next week since I think my left arm is weaker than my right - would that help??

Day 12
Finally got hit with that stomach bug that’s been going around at my office. You know what’s really awesome? THROWING UP FISH OIL :confused: freakin disgusting
Skipped shakes 3 and 5 yesterday…managed to choke down 4 at home

Got down my breakfast shake this morning then promptly spit up afterwards (again, awesome…although vanilla is not as bad as fish oil). Problem is, there’s really not a lot for me to throw up since there’s no food in my system! TOok off work today, gonna rest and drink lots of water. I am going to try to drink my shakes for sustenance, but we’ll see how it goes :confused: at least today is an off day at the gym

whoops been a while
I am glad to report that, despite my stomach virus, I did not eat any solid food. It was tough for two days to get all of the shakes down…and I did miss a few…but I stayed strong! Bug came and went within 48 hours anyway. Still going strong…third HSM this weekend…still no slips :slight_smile: feeling strong as hell. will post my workouts soon. My arms are getting JACKED. These shakes are starting to get reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal old though!!

Great job pushing through the virus!

@KDR09 - Thanks!

So I had written this whole nice blog updating everyone on my progress with the workouts and everything and I then I accidentally erased it!!! So since I am not uploading all of that info again, here is the important stuff:

weighed in today
118lb and 18% body fat…thats 1 lb less and 1% less. So far, lost about 3% body fat…sweet! Definitely feeling stronger. This is the last week of Phase I and we will go into Phase II…we are preparing to go full paleo starting in Phase II so I am hoping that I won’t put the fat back on. I would like to transition back to military athlete or crossfit after this diet to train for the tough mudder in April…it’s my third one and I would like to beast my time!!!

good job! paleo is a good choice too, stay away from starchy vegetables and you should continue to lose fat

@Greg…this may sound like a silly question, but could you give me some examples of “starchy” vegetables? I’m assuming you’re referring to anything in the potato family!

[quote]SinisterKid25 wrote:
@Greg…this may sound like a silly question, but could you give me some examples of “starchy” vegetables? I’m assuming you’re referring to anything in the potato family![/quote]
potatoes, corn, beans and peas. i did the paleo diet over the summer with decent results. i found that cutting out the starchy vegetables (mainly potatoes and corn for me) made a big difference. i had better energy and gym performance without them.

At the end of Day 28…just have my bedtime shake left! I will be weighing in tomorrow morning and taking my body fat %. Took some after pics (will post them once I get a chord to upload them on my comp) - I’m not all that impressed with myself though :frowning: I just don’t think I will ever have defined abs! BUT, I do feel leaner overall and I am definitely stronger with my lifts. I had no slips on the diet and did the intermediate workouts, but I DID NOT do the NEPA walks every day - no excuses here, I just honestly did not carve the time out in my day to do them. If I do this again, I would make it a point to get to bed earlier and get my walks in every morning.

Moving forward - gonna continue with phase II training and start running again (mudder in april and I haven’t run in a couple of months- eek!). Gonna keep diet to paleo since I know my body does not respond well to carbs and sugar. I can’t believe I made it 28 days…last week and a half truly SUCKED and the thing that kept my going was knowing how much I would HATE IT if I slipped/bailed out with only 7 or 10 days left. My advice to anyone starting this: JUST STAY STRONG! You can do more than you know you can!