Biotest

Milled Flax Seeds vs Flax Seed Meal?

What’s the difference between the 2 and would it be ok to substitute one for the other? I ask because I own some flaxseed meal and it seems like that would blend up in a protein shake very well.

Steve

I’m not 100% sure, but I think they are the same thing. As long as the only ingredient is flax seed.

From another thread:

A typical serving of milled flax is two tablespoons.

The “meal” vs. “milled” thing is kinda confusing, I admit. Ideally, what you’re looking for is a rougher, milled or ground up product. “Meal” is sometimes a rougher grind, but sometimes it’s more of a powdery, flour-like grind, which might not be as palatable in shakes. I prefer the courser grind, “cold-milled.” Problem is, flax seed makers sometimes use the words “milled” and “meal” interchangeably.

You can also buy whole flax seeds and grind them yourself if you want. A dedicated coffee bean grinder is good for this, but I honestly just buy them pre-milled myself, then keep them in the fridge after opening.

If you can’t find them in a health food store, drug store, or pharmacy/vitamin section of Wal-Mart, check the baking aisle of grocery stores. Sometimes it’s right there with the flour and baking mixes. That’s where I get mine. These are usually in a box and not a bag, but they’re very inexpensive.

Can I substitute the milled Flax Seed powder for softgels instead? Just asking, since I am in the military, stationed on a ship and I have little space to store all my belongings.

I thought the softgels were easy to store than the powder, b/c I don’t have a fridge to put the flaxseeds in. I will be starting the V-diet on April 4th, as soon as my supplements arrive. thanks for the inputs! Seems like this diet is amazing!

[quote]hagazaki wrote:
Can I substitute the milled Flax Seed powder for softgels instead? Just asking, since I am in the military, stationed on a ship and I have little space to store all my belongings.

I thought the softgels were easy to store than the powder, b/c I don’t have a fridge to put the flaxseeds in. I will be starting the V-diet on April 4th, as soon as my supplements arrive. thanks for the inputs! Seems like this diet is amazing![/quote]

You’re probably thinking of flax seed OIL in capsules. Not what we need here because the flax SEED gives us a lot of the fiber we need for this diet. The plain oil of course has no fiber.