Biotest

'Mill' Your Own Flax Seed

I haven’t seen this tip posted anywhere yet but here it goes. This may help the folks in Iraq as well as whole flax keeps better than milled.

You can ‘mill’ your whole seed flax with a coffee grinder.

It is actually better quality fresh ground than the milled. As soon as the seed is processed and exposed to oxygen some of the things we are looking for start breaking down. It is equivalent to why fresh ground coffee is better than pre-ground store bought.

the premilled stuff I bought was always either in a brutally hard BRICK, or tasted almost sour. To be completely honest I actually just used the whole seeds… Why is that such a no-no?

The whole seed can’t be properly digested by the human body. You will just pass the seed without obtaining the nutrients or properly benefiting from the fiber.

Because the whole seeds pass through undigested and you do not get the benefit of the Omega 3’s in the seeds. Basically, wasted money.

If it tasted sour, then it went rancid because it sat on the shelf at your local grocer for too long. They need to be stored in the refrigerator once you open the package to prevent that from happening, but it can still go rancid before that.

Milled fax seed should taste nutty. Not sour or funky. Now drinking them in a shake is an experience that some do not relish. I don’t mind it, but some others have their gag reflex kick in…

[quote]matthew_gray wrote:
the premilled stuff I bought was always either in a brutally hard BRICK, or tasted almost sour. To be completely honest I actually just used the whole seeds… Why is that such a no-no?[/quote]

Did you blend it?