Biotest

Milk, Cheese and the Research

Hey Chris
I’ve been off milk for a few months now and I feel tremendously better but I still find it hard to explain why I don’t drink milk but do eat cheese to others with science and/or studies. I explain that they aren’t made the same way and that milk generally has a bunch of bad carbs that are added to them (along with hormones and whatever else). Most cheeses, as I understand it, doesn’t.
Do you have more background and/or research regarding milk? - studies, references, anything like that will help.
Thanks

Carbs aren’t added to milk. The lactose is naturally occurring.

That’s pretty much how I explain it. Most cheeses and things like sour cream are nearly carb/sugar free. Milk on the other hand isn’t. The process of making many cheese-like dairy foods removes the bad stuff, or at least most of it. I think of that like fruit vs. fruit juice. Fruit = mostly good. Fruit juice = concentrated bad.

And this study (milk lowers T) doesn’t seem to carry over into cheese. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19496976?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=1 Perhaps the estrogens and progesterone issues baddies with milk also get removed as part of the cheese-making process?

I do think it’s best to limit or stay in control of cheese though. For example, milk can cause acne, cheese can’t really… unless you eat too much. People who get that effect learn pretty fast how much cheese, ricotta etc. they can get away with. Cottage cheese can be very tricky in that regard.

All that aside, it’s also just something I’ve seen with many other people and myself: milk = fat gain or slowing fat loss, bloating, allergy issues, acne etc. Cheese = not so much.

In your experience, does heavy cream cause the same issues as milk?

[quote]firespinner93 wrote:
In your experience, does heavy cream cause the same issues as milk?[/quote]

No. But of course it’s normally used in small amounts compared to milk.

Only issue with heavy cream is its caloric density. The old school bodybuilders used it as a weight gainer.